First Half Marathon - Hope I Finish in Time

Options
2»

Replies

• Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of good practical advice, and thanks for the very encouraging support. I think I'll put aside the idea that I'm going to disgrace myself.

My regular run is 4 to 4.5 miles, and I occasionally run 10k if I feel like it. When I ran 10k Monday, it didn't feel like much of an endurance challenge, but it wasn't fast, around 14 min miles. My best 10k was sub 13 minutes with my last two miles coming in under 12. I was so excited I did a little Rocky dance.

The race is out of Coronado in November, so I have plenty of time to prepare. I will be rereading these posts and incorporating a lot of what I've heard. The weather should be nice and cool. I hate running in the heat.

Thanks a lot for the tips!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for a nice flat half marathon along the ocean, and I'd love any tips on cranking up my speed. I can run a long ways at a slow pace, but I haven't naturally picked up speed like I expected to after running for a while. When I speed up, I get tired a lot more quickly. I'm a little worried I'll be among the last to finish.

Do you have a training plan that you are following? If yes, pay a lot of good attention to your speed interval workouts.

Add some speed intervals if you can. Speed Intervals help with running economy, getting the body ready to run fast when needed. Adding these to our training plan help us to engage our fast twitch muscles when our slow twitch muscles become fatigued.... technically what may be happening when you mentioned
    When I speed up, I get tired a lot more quickly.

All the best and I guarantee you - you won't be last. Jus' let me know "You predicted Correct" when the race is done. Good Luck.