Kohlrabi

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
Any good kohlrabi recipes?

I just got two in my farm share box and have no idea what to do with them.

Note: the family eats chicken and turkey but that's it for meat.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    cut it up into sticks (like carrot or french fries) and eat. My kids love it as a crunchy snack. You can also toss into a salad. I never had them long enough to cook so have no recipes for cooked.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    cut it up into sticks (like carrot or french fries) and eat. My kids love it as a crunchy snack. You can also toss into a salad. I never had them long enough to cook so have no recipes for cooked.

Do you peel it first?

Sorry if it's a stupid question - I'm completely ignorant about this vegetable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you're a step ahead of me- I haven't even ever heard of it!!
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I"m in for the replies. My email from the CSA said we'd be getting some this week too. I had some before, but they went bad because I didn't know what to do with them, I too have no idea if they need peeling, etc.
  • occupysmithmachine
    Options
    Yes they do need to be peeled. It is good raw - tastes like cabbage. It's also good chopped and roasted like a turnip or in a soup.
  • nltg13
    nltg13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like it raw in coleslaw or cooked in a soup or gratin.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    cut up, steam or boil it and eat with lots of butter, salt and pepper.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Any good kohlrabi recipes?

I just got two in my farm share box and have no idea what to do with them.

Note: the family eats chicken and turkey but that's it for meat.

Kohlrabi ( my third favorite vegetable after Brussel sprouts and cauliflower )

sautéed with butter
    slightly steamed and mixed if hot with a spoon of cream , salt & pepper, if room temp or cold mixed with a bit of mayo, salt & pepper,
    in bechamel sauce
    prepared like broccoli salad
    in slaw with grated carrots
    in vegetable stews
    raw with dip
    raw...alone
    in soup
    in asian stir fry
    cut in chunks and baked
    just to name a few
    and of coure
    puréed
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Steam them until tender, peel them. Toss with some butter, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese or garlic and eat it up.
  • cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like it raw with a little salt on it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Awesome replies! Thank you!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Do you peel it first?

Sorry if it's a stupid question - I'm completely ignorant about this vegetable.

Yes, peel it. You'll know when you're through the peel by it's getting whiter.

You can also slice it thinly and add it to salads (match stick, style).

Or you can boil/steam them (in the french fry shapes) until soft and serve them with a cream sauce.

If the kohlrabi are older, they can get woody in the center. You can usually feel that as you slice them. The young ones are tender, tender.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Intrigued, I Googled Kohlrabi.

Now I want to know where the heck I can buy some. I want me some Kohlrabi french fries! :bigsmile:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i slice them up like thick cut french fries and toss in garlic salt , and my favorite spices and roast in the oven and they are like french fries, but way healthier! i do this with rutabaga too, and serve with a hamburger and ketsup ... yummmm
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like it raw with a little salt on it.

I just got some too, and have been exploring it. It seems to be used like turnip.

Anyway, this is all I've tried so far and I really like it. Next I'm trying it roasted and apparently the greens are good too.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    make a sauce Hollandaise and add a bit of Nutmeg,

yummy
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I freakin' love the stuff..it's just like a radish...peel the super thick skin off it, dice it up and throw it in salads, or eat with dip. I just eat it plain.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I matchstick them and use to replace (or in addition to) some of the apples in waldorf salad
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Shredded in salads or like you would use cabbage

Cut into slices or strips and eat raw (can dip in ranch or other dip if you like)

Not the healthiest - but my favorite - is sliced, dip in an egg wash and then seasoned bread crumbs or crushed saltines and fried in a bit of EVOO.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    my aunt just used to peel and cut them into sticks and soak them in salt water....so good