Never feeling satisfied?

2»

Replies

• kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    I had a similar problem. After logging my food consistently for 9 months now, I observed that if I had lots of carbs early in the day, I tended to crave more carbs and sweets as the day went on. So now I have more of protein at the start of my day and then add carbs in mid-day onwards. This seems to diminish my cravings esp for sweets. Also I spaced out my big meals into 6 smaller meals throughout the day. This helped keep my sugar levels steady and I didn't feel feel hungry all the time and didn't binge. Could this work for you too?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Out of interest, what exersize do you do to eat 5000 a day?
    Just weight lifting.

My husband knows a guy that has to eat 7000 calories while bulking or he won't gain mass. My first reaction was, "lucky jerk," but it must cost a lot to feed him.
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Check your macros, agreed, as everyone else has stated. I would only adjust your calories if you continue to lose weight while you try to maintain it. Another thought is that your body needs to adjust to the new caloric intake. This takes work on your part. Ghrelin is the hunger hormone and fluctuates based upon what you eat and when you eat it. It takes time to adjust the release of this hormone. This is why you feel hungry at the same time you eat; you have trained your body to release the hunger hormone at this specified time whether you intermittent fast or eat several times a day. You can use your prefrontal cortex functions (the executive control center of the brain) and refuse to give into the hormone. Eventually, your body will regulate it (4 - 6 weeks). This hormone is also the reason why appetizers increase appetite. A little food makes the hormone release teasing us and making us believe we are more hungry. It is also why we choose bad foods when we are too hungry. Ghrelin makes it difficult to make choices. Protein makes a huge difference in control and satisfaction. In the end though, it takes training and a diet that makes sense to you. Every time you tell yourself the feeling of hunger is not really you starving to death and just ghrelin, you teach your body to release less. This is primarily why eating more often works for many people but eventually your body adjusts to that as well. The body is smart. It knows.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17212793
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    I recently upped my calories to around 2000 a day to try and maintain my weight after loosing 27 pounds. This was great at first, I could finally enjoy food.
    However, now the problem I face is that I never feel satisfied. Even after eating a huge dinner (I just had around 250g of mince in my bolognese I just cooked) I still want to carry on eating. Should I consider upping my calories further? I'm young, female, 20 y.o, and pretty active, I work out around 4 times per week, plus I walk about 3 miles around 3 times per week. I'm currently 125 pounds and 5"8. Is more calories the answer, or adding more protein and veggies to my diet? I'm probably eating too many sugary foods which I'm trying to cut down on

I'm 36 year old, 5ft 2", 132 lb (if I'm correct). I have a desk job.
    Anyway, I have a fitbit, and walking, moving around whenever is possible, and playing with my daughter, I reach easily 2000 cals. (and I think that's correct because, with 500 cals of deficit, I'm losing)
    So, maybe you need more calories.

Wait for a couple weeks/one month (and meanwhile eat more protein, drink water etc): if you still lose weight, you need more calories.
    Otherwise, is just your body craving for something (proteins, salt, etc, like they said)
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    I recently upped my calories to around 2000 a day to try and maintain my weight after loosing 27 pounds. This was great at first, I could finally enjoy food.
    However, now the problem I face is that I never feel satisfied. Even after eating a huge dinner (I just had around 250g of mince in my bolognese I just cooked) I still want to carry on eating. Should I consider upping my calories further? I'm young, female, 20 y.o, and pretty active, I work out around 4 times per week, plus I walk about 3 miles around 3 times per week. I'm currently 125 pounds and 5"8. Is more calories the answer, or adding more protein and veggies to my diet? I'm probably eating too many sugary foods which I'm trying to cut down on

Good question...
    and you may have guessed
    the right answer: sugar/carbs.

Here's a search result::
    LCHF Health Without Hunger
    http://tinyurl.com/k8h4s5w

Success :smile:
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Great question, thanks for posting (and for all the great information in the other replies)! If you want "fullness" satisfaction, one book, 'Volumetrics', talks about the calorie density (CD) of foods, with lower CD the best. Calculated by diving the grams by the number of calories, per serving. I.e., most vegetables would have a very low CD but very filling, whereas cake or cookies have a very high CD.

Or, are you craving crunchy, sweet, or savory foods? Look for lower-calorie versions of these. Crunchy is important for me, and I found Popcakes (in the U.S.). A 5" disk is only about 15 calories.

Sometimes I will decide that only a lot of what makes me happy will do, and then I have to decide if it is worth the hit on my waistline...most of the time it isn't, so I am continually looking for lower-calorie versions of those.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    If you are actually hungry than I would think more protein/healthy fats would help. I'm trying to lose weight and have added protein and have noticed a HUGE difference. I no longer feel hungrier an hour later.

Now if you're just not 'satisfied' as in you want more food because you're craving a certain type of food or it's mental hunger because your now able to eat more then give it time and see it if goes away and push through it. I'm not sure how long you have been in maintenance mode. But maybe it takes time to adjust? I agree with what some people have said on here already, that the sugar foods could also be part of the problem.

Good luck!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    When I met with my dietician and said the same thing, she said to up my fiber intake, and it worked wonders.

I get chocolite protein bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com - they have about 10g protein, 10g fiber, and are sugar/gluten free.

Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    When I met with my dietician and said the same thing, she said to up my fiber intake, and it worked wonders.

I get chocolite protein bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com - they have about 10g protein, 10g fiber, and are sugar/gluten free.

Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

Agreed! I drink psyllium husk every evening about two hours before bed, after dinner. This helps me feel satisfied.
  • Nazy1343
    Nazy1343 Posts: 54 Member
    Few tips that i tend to use:
    1) drink 2 cups of water before a balanced meal
    2) after eating a meal drink a shot of espresso (during the day)
    3) eat ice chips when you feel hungry but you know you had already too much
    4) start playing candy crush. games like this take your mind off the food
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Try eating more high volume foods like salad or broth-based soups. I like to use riced cauliflower in place of rice in a stir fry. It really fills me up. I also eat some protein with any carb. You made need a couple hundred more calories though. It sounds like you are pretty active.