To the 30-50 lb "Losers"!

Options
HEY!! I’m trying to lose between 35-45 lbs (re-losing the same 15 lbs 100 times smh). I was wondering how long did it take you to lose the weight, I'm not rushing, I'm a sure believer that slow and steady wins the race. I’m just curious with other people’s results. I'm 26, a mother to a 5-year boy. I'm 5'3 and back up 195 from 186. I have an office job and sit around all day! What advice do you have to take it off and keep it off? Seems like when I hit a mini goal, I binge and have to start all over again. Here to time 101 to lose this weight lol!!! Thanks in advance!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    10 months to lose 57 lbs.

Advice to give? Maintain a moderate calorie deficit (so, not 1200 calories, which is too aggressive/restrictive), eat the foods you love in moderation, don't cut out foods, etc. Going over calories once in a while is really not a big deal. Get active. Enjoy life, have fun, win.
  • mabbzie
    mabbzie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    In for responses. This describes me perfectly, except I'm 24, single with no children, and 5'5 back up to god-knows-what from 149.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options

Advice to give? Maintain a moderate calorie deficit (so, not 1200 calories, which is too aggressive/restrictive), eat the foods you love in moderation, don't cut out foods, etc. Going over calories once in a while is really not a big deal. Get active. Enjoy life, have fun, win.

can you give me your status, if you dont mind of course!! I eat 1550 and im going to start doing some kind of activity 3-4 times a week! oh and CONGRATS ON YOUR LOSS you must feel great!!! :bigsmile:
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I lost weight a few years back with WW's old ProPoints system, lost around 45lb in about 11 months or so. However I did no exercise and could not keep from gaining on the new plan and I stopped going to class. I then had a lot of life changes and put it all back on with a lot more.

One bit of advice I'd give is use something sustainable like a simple deficit, it just seems simpler and easier to learn from. And exercise, keep exercising even when you reach your goal, you'll find maintaining a lot easier. :)
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    In for responses. This describes me perfectly, except I'm 24, single with no children, and 5'5 back up to god-knows-what from 149.

i stepped on the scale and was like WTF!! I should of know before the scale because i been feeling tired and lazy and sluggish!! PLUS my pants seem a little tighter lately!! ugh
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

This is great advice, I love it!

This has been pretty easy for me for the most part because I did all of the above. It's taken me a lot longer, but I didn't have much to lose. You know i'll keep cheering you on! I also have a desk job, so i get how easy it is to become sedentary. You just have to stay as active as you can, when you're not there. :flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It took me 15months to lose a net of 50lbs..

I am 5 ft 7, 154.3 started at 205...

I ate on average 1750 calories a day for the last 9 months and lost on average 3/4lb a week.

I have been doing heavy lifting for 9 months, prior to that circut training for 2 months.

My diary is open to all so feel free to take a look at it...I am upping my calories to maitenance atm hence the 1850...next week it will be 1900. I work in an office too.

Advice

set a reasonable weekly goal, don't give up food ( I eat chocolate and drink and eat Fast food), find an exercise you love (for fitness) and if you want look into lifting heavy weights.

I say that because it's amazing what it does for your body...I may weigh 155lbs but I wear a size 5/6...
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 pounds in 4 months. I have not been very strict with myself. I try to get to the gym 3-5 times a week, but usually get there 2-3. I eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories depending on the day. Some days I eat back exercise calories, other days not.

As for hitting a mini goal and then binging... Don't just set a mini goal. Get yourself an outfit (dress, skirt, pants, whatever) and have that be your final goal. Also, take pictures - at your starting weight and then at each of your mini goals. Compare the pictures and that will probably help you stay on track.

I am taking pictures not at mini goals, but at time intervals (approx a month). This last set has really made me see the progress I've made so far.

I'm about to hit one of my intermediate goals. I set myself a goal of 25-30 pounds by the end of June for a trip to Cancun. My final goal is to lose a total of 60 pounds by the end of the year. So only 36 pounds to go. If I hit it, great, if not, then I keep going until I do hit it. Once there, I don't give up. I stay with it for the rest of my life. I'm looking for sustainable weight management.

Good luck!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    I lost weight a few years back with WW's old ProPoints system, lost around 45lb in about 11 months or so. However I did no exercise and could not keep from gaining on the new plan and I stopped going to class. I then had a lot of life changes and put it all back on with a lot more.

One bit of advice I'd give is use something sustainable like a simple deficit, it just seems simpler and easier to learn from. And exercise, keep exercising even when you reach your goal, you'll find maintaining a lot easier. :)

Thank you!!! trial and error! you can get there again!!!
  • OPile
    OPile Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    33 lbs down. 195-162 since 15th Jan. I'm 5'10" and 33. I started just with a deficit and lost steadily like that then I started doing Jilluan Michaels 30DS and cycling and while I've continued to lose at a similar rate I'm obviously much fitter and my figure is miles better for the exercise.

Good luck. :-)
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! trial and error! you can get there again!!!

Thanks! And this time I am feeling better about it too, I know on WW I saw massive losses from the start but tbh I ended up skinny-fat and weak. Not going for that this time :D
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

can you give me your status, if you dont mind of course!! I eat 1550 and im going to start doing some kind of activity 3-4 times a week! oh and CONGRATS ON YOUR LOSS you must feel great!!! :bigsmile:

I'm 5'2 and currently 155 lbs... I started at 211.7 lbs

ETA: I'm no longer actively trying to lose weight as I've just become pregnant. But in January I switched to the TDEE method and eating 1730 calories. Working out 5-6x a week. I'm slowly upping my calories now.
  • richfaber
    richfaber Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It has taken me two years to lose 30 pounds and I have another 30 to go.

Find a picture of you when you were at a healthy weight. Look at it every day.

Log your food. Even the smallest bit.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    I've lost 24 pounds in 4 months. I have not been very strict with myself. I try to get to the gym 3-5 times a week, but usually get there 2-3. I eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories depending on the day. Some days I eat back exercise calories, other days not.

As for hitting a mini goal and then binging... Don't just set a mini goal. Get yourself an outfit (dress, skirt, pants, whatever) and have that be your final goal. Also, take pictures - at your starting weight and then at each of your mini goals. Compare the pictures and that will probably help you stay on track.

I am taking pictures not at mini goals, but at time intervals (approx a month). This last set has really made me see the progress I've made so far.

I'm about to hit one of my intermediate goals. I set myself a goal of 25-30 pounds by the end of June for a trip to Cancun. My final goal is to lose a total of 60 pounds by the end of the year. So only 36 pounds to go. If I hit it, great, if not, then I keep going until I do hit it. Once there, I don't give up. I stay with it for the rest of my life. I'm looking for sustainable weight management.

Good luck!

Incredible ideas!!! Thank you, i have before pictures and i did measurements!!! going to take your advice thanks ;-)

Congrats on the loss too!! :wink:
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options

I'm 5'2 and currently 155 lbs... I started at 211.7 lbs

ETA: I'm no longer actively trying to lose weight as I've just become pregnant. But in January I switched to the TDEE method and eating 1730 calories. Working out 5-6x a week. I'm slowly upping my calories now.

Congratulations on the news and still staying active!!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    33 lbs down. 195-162 since 15th Jan. I'm 5'10" and 33. I started just with a deficit and lost steadily like that then I started doing Jilluan Michaels 30DS and cycling and while I've continued to lose at a similar rate I'm obviously much fitter and my figure is miles better for the exercise.

Good luck. :-)

incredible!! thank you!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    It took me 15months to lose a net of 50lbs..

I am 5 ft 7, 154.3 started at 205...

I ate on average 1750 calories a day for the last 9 months and lost on average 3/4lb a week.

I have been doing heavy lifting for 9 months, prior to that circut training for 2 months.

My diary is open to all so feel free to take a look at it...I am upping my calories to maitenance atm hence the 1850...next week it will be 1900. I work in an office too.

Advice

set a reasonable weekly goal, don't give up food ( I eat chocolate and drink and eat Fast food), find an exercise you love (for fitness) and if you want look into lifting heavy weights.

I say that because it's amazing what it does for your body...I may weigh 155lbs but I wear a size 5/6...

love when i see woman actually eat lol!! yea im into lifting and seen incredible results with other woman!! thank you and congrats on the weight loss!!
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    To be honest I am not a great example but I lost 34 pounds over 4 months then I got fed up and started eating at maintenance although I didn't lose any more weight I did not gain any either. It is only now I feel ready to continue my journey. I think it can be a mental thing with time it can take 4 months or 2 years.

I typically eat when losing 1300-1600 depends how I feel
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds back in 2008-2010. The first 35-40 took about seven months. (But at first I wasn't really trying. I didn't start to work at it until I'd lost about 15.) Then I hit a plateau at around 175 pounds and lost only five pounds in six months. I changed my habits and the final fifteen pounds took three months to lose.

So a total of almost 18 months, but with several breaks. If I'd been more disciplined and hadn't lingered on that plateau for so long, it would have taken about year.

Unfortunately I gained back 30, so I am losing again. I lost the first ten pounds in about six weeks, then it slowed down (once again at 175, same as before). I recently changed my diet and exercise plan a bit (went back to what worked the first time) and it's picked back up. I hope to lose another 20 by Labor Day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40-45 lbs in about a year's time...then plateaued (semi-intentionally) for about a year. Lost the last 15 or so in about 6 months. So overall 2 1/2 yrs for 60-ish lbs. Been maintaining for about 3 months now.