kettlebells

Options
Anyone have any idea what I would take my kettlebell workout as for fitness? There isn't a category that I can find that fits that, unless I'm missing it somewhere.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you used it. Typically it's circuit training but sometimes it's strength training.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I entered it as my own exercise and calculated the calories based on 6.4 METs because that is what I've seen in the research as far as intensity level. To get calories per hour from METs, multiply the MET level by your weight in kilograms (divide weight in pounds by 2.2 to get kilograms). If you didn't do exactly an hour, divide the calories per hour by 60 and then multiply by the actual minutes you did to get the calories to enter.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Track your heart rate between exercises and use MFP's tool to figure calorie burn based on your bio-metrics. It should give you a pretty accurate figure in terms of caloric burn.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Here is a great article about kettlebells. Because kettlebells are both an aerobic and anaerobic exercise you burn a ton of calories, up to as many as 20 per minute, but that is if you are working very hard and is dependent on the types of exercises you do. http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/Kettlebells012010.pdf
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Unless the OP is swinging around a 24 kg kettlebell, I wouldn't be so quick to send her to an article talking about 20 cal per minute burns. And the type of person swinging around a 24 kg bell isn't likely to be asking about how to log it.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Unless the OP is swinging around a 24 kg kettlebell, I wouldn't be so quick to send her to an article talking about 20 cal per minute burns. And the type of person swinging around a 24 kg bell isn't likely to be asking about how to log it.

Just posting an article with some scientific info in it, pretty sure most people can read it for themselves and realize that they aren't personally burning that many calories, I just thought it was intresting, sheesh.