Ricecakes....a yes or a no?

Options
Yes I've been dipping them in hummus. Now I'm reading up on articles that ricecakes are bad for you ????. I can never win.
I only eat like 1-2 a day before or after a workout. Should I find another alternative snack? I'm trying to cut down on bread and thought ricecakes would help.

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I would doubt they are actually bad for you aside from being pretty empty of nutritional value. If they don't have too many calories and you are using them just to put good stuff like humus on then I wouldn't worry about it too much, every week it seems another food item is declared "bad" for us.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Meh, I eat the chocolate ones everyday
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dark Choc orange ones are my favourite. They hit the spot for me without going overboard on calories, so it's not so bad in my opinion:-)
  • Penfoldsplace
    Penfoldsplace Posts: 159
    Options
    I love rice cakes, I see them more as a vessel for yummy things like hummus or avocado. Plus I get the salt and vinegar ones which satisfies my craving for salt and vinegar crisps and they fill me up more than crisps.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Like someone previously said, not much nutrition i just enjoy eating them!
  • mRoss27
    mRoss27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great tool for filling out carbohydrates without any fats and only 1g of protein. That convenience is the reason they are so popular.
  • BigGamesJames1
    Options
    If you enjoy them and they fit within your daily calorie goal, then keep eating them. I like peanut butter on mine!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    They're a great base for things that actually have flavour, lol. I prefer corn thins, which have about the same nutritional info but taste like popcorn, but there's no issue with ricecakes, they have a great texture for dips and spreads.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dark Choc orange ones are my favourite. They hit the spot for me without going overboard on calories, so it's not so bad in my opinion:-)
    :noway: what? Where may I find these dark chocolate orange rice cakes? I want some!

I love them for the crunch factor and add all kinds of stuff for toppings, but its not a main staple in my diet.
  • ChrystalF
    ChrystalF Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dietician by any means but I had gestational diabetes when pregnant so looked into this, the reason to avoid them is they have a very high glycemic index, meaning that they raise your blood sugar level quickly which has all sorts of bad side effects. Probably fine for most people on occasion but definitely want to avoid them if you have diabetes :-)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dietician by any means but I had gestational diabetes when pregnant so looked into this, the reason to avoid them is they have a very high glycemic index, meaning that they raise your blood sugar level quickly which has all sorts of bad side effects. Probably fine for most people on occasion but definitely want to avoid them if you have diabetes :-)

Hooray! I knew there was an upside to this Type II diabetes thing! LOL But seriously, I wonder if the reason someone heard that rice cakes are bad for you is because of all the arsenic that is supposed to be in rice these days?
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not a ton of nutrition. Watch the sugar!

But it is a helpful snack to calm the tummy, especially if you have IBS.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been eating rice cakes at least 3 times a week since I was born... Okay, since I was able to remember what I eat. And to hear that rice cakes aren't supposed to be good for me.... My world is crumbling apart :(
  • maryowens1
    maryowens1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They're a 'no' for me, but only because to me they taste like styrofoam :)