Which Program Should I Try

ilfaith
ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
After seeing so many informercials...and so many great results here, I am thinking I want to try something new to kick my fitness level up a notch. But I have no idea what program is best for me.

I am not really looking to lose weight. My BMI is at the low end of healthy and that's where I like it. I've been brainwashed over the years to focus on the number on the scale, but I am trying to get past the point where I would be bothered by gaining a few pounds if those few pounds were muscle. Mostly I want to lose some of the jiggle.

As for what I do now...it's a bit of everything. I play tennis and do Pilates and/or Yoga a few times a week. I love Zumba (and any other dance-based exercise) and also enjoy kickboxing. For convenience I will hop on the elliptical machine to get some cardio in. I can walk all day, but I am not much of a runner. I've never really done any heavy lifting, but I know my way around the Nautilus machines.

As for diet (because I know P90X and other programs have a diet component as well) I am not much of a carnivore. I don't eat red meat (never cared for it) although I will eat a bit of poultry and seafood. I would miss dairy if I had to give it up. I do like my carbs, although I try to avoid the worst of them.

So does anybody have ideas for what I might enjoy and what might get me good results. There seem to be so many different regimens to choose from. I know people who've used everything from Insanity to the Brazilian Butt program. I know 30-day Shred is very popular. How does one figure out what is right for them (without making the investment to attempt them all).

Replies

• mRoss27
    mRoss27 Posts: 33 Member
    If you want to get lean but not too skinny, and fill out in the right places, and you are down for lifting weights, I can recommend a program depending on how many days you want to be in the gym (3, 4 or 5)?
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    hundredpushups.com

It's not terribly exciting, but it is free and gets great results in general fitness.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    I agree with mRoss - weight training is the way to go. If your looking at Beach Body products, Chalene Extreme is A+ for starting out, otherwise you might try StrongLifts 5x5. There is even an app for that!
  • mRoss27
    mRoss27 Posts: 33 Member
    One of the most misconstrued myths is that if women lift relatively heavy weights they will "bulk up." This is far from true. Heavy weight training is essential if you want to take your physique to the lean, toned, athletic-looking level that most women aspire for.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Can I only choose between prepackaged DVD based workouts or is like, lacing up shoes and running outside an option? Maybe going to a gym and lifting something is an option?
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Whatever you do, stay off the Pizza Program. Yeah, I don't recommend that one at all.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    I am certainly open to weight training at the gym...but with summer coming up, and my kids being home from school, I am looking for something I can do at home, at least for the next few months.
  • bcmom_1980
    bcmom_1980 Posts: 33
    I second Chalean Extreme. I'd like to do Stronglifts, etc but figured this was a good starting point for heavier weights. So far I love it! I'm more drenched in sweat after the lifting segments than I ever was with Jillian Michaels DVDs, and the only cardio is in the warmup! In 2 weeks I've gone from 133 to 128, tracking calories 4 days a week. I'm trying to tone up as well, I don't really want to lose much more weight.

You can view 30 day shred for free on YouTube as well. I've been working out at home since Sept 2013, my heaviest weight was 162. I have a 4 yr old and a 2.5 yr old, I try to set them up with an activity like colouring or painting and then start my DVD. I still end up pushing pause a lot to break up fights or wipe somebody's butt, but try to keep the stoppages to 2 minutes max.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
  • chwiltrakis
    chwiltrakis Posts: 1 Member
    I love Chalean - I have Turbo Fire - I was doing her program when I got pregnant and stopped. Now I have 2 kids so I don't have the time for some of her workouts until I figure out this 2 kid balance. I like to use you tube - if you hear of a program that sounds good but don't want to invest in it without knowing what you'll think. You can usually find just about any workout DVD program out there on you tube where you can watch a clip and see what it looks like and how the instructor sounds and decide from there if you want it. Sometimes you'll even find the full workout on there. There is also a website called body rock tv that has free fitness sessions and I am almost certain I've been hearing about other sites where you pay a flat fee each month and you can access multiple different workout DVD's - you may want to do some google research and see what those are. That way you can try a bunch without full cost commitment. Good luck!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    A good fit for you might be to take a look at some body weight exercises you can do from home (or anywhere really). A lot of the advantages of weight training without all the stuff.

A decent place to start is a book called "You Are Your Own Gym". It sort of details out a boatload of body weight exercises and variations.

The downside is you have to be very self motivated to build up a routine that works for you. There's no one there telling you what to do next but if you stick to it you can be a tone and fit as a lot of people that spend time lifting weights.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    I am certainly open to weight training at the gym...but with summer coming up, and my kids being home from school, I am looking for something I can do at home, at least for the next few months.

Home - Convict Conditioning
    Gym - Stronglifts
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    I would agree with the lifting and with the posters suggesting Chalean Extreme. I started lifting with that one. She is very good at telling you correct form and where you should be feeling it. Also what weights everyone are using and there's also a person using a band if you don't want to invest in weights. I've done other lifting programs, but no one has ever been so descriptive about form as her and I really needed that when I first started out.