Why Do I look Leaner some days than other days?

albayin
albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
Provided my weight didn't change, just within a pound or two..but some days I look more cut than other days...Especially around the waist area...it's very obvious...like this morning, I have a "pooch"..but the day when my profile picture was taken less tha a week ago, I looked lot leaner...what to give? :sad:

Replies

• as533
    as533 Posts: 4 Member
    Me too, I've been on the bran cereal recently and my waist is almost 2 inches bigger. Think salt, carbohydrates, water intake, hormones, so much more!
    Bane of my existence ;)
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    I've noticed the same. Likely bloat from a variety of things.
  • albayin
    I wish I had more "lean" days...it's just so discouraging.....have no clue what to do...
  • elyanta
    elyanta Posts: 11
    You are most likely retaining water if your body is changing in appearance over the course of a few days. Where you are at in your monthly cycle and the amount of salt you consumed the day before can easily make you look and feel puffier. Try drinking more water to help, it will cut down on the amount of water your body holds onto.
  • albayin
    More water that is then....I don't mind drinking water. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Water retention, it happens, its natural, its healthy even...not something to fight in my opinion its just part of your body.
  • wihltsabow
    wihltsabow Posts: 5
    I, unfortunately at times, recall most of my physiology and patho courses.

In short, when there is a water or sodium imbalance in your body (too little water or too much sodium), the adrenal glands release a hormone called ADH, or anti-diuretic hormone to hold onto as much water as possible. Either of these situations (intaking too much sodium or not drinking enough water) cause ADH to be released into the body. ADH is decreased when the fluid balance becomes righted.

So if you feel bloated, drink more water and intake less salt for a day or two and you should go back to normal.
  • albayin

In short, when there is a water or sodium imbalance in your body (too little water or too much sodium), the adrenal glands release a hormone called ADH, or anti-diuretic hormone to hold onto as much water as possible. Either of these situations (intaking too much sodium or not drinking enough water) cause ADH to be released into the body. ADH is decreased when the fluid balance becomes righted.

So if you feel bloated, drink more water and intake less salt for a day or two and you should go back to normal.

Could increase of workout intensity cause this release of ADH as well? or totally something else? I started body combat a couple of weeks ago and that's when I start noticing my waistline change...it happend also when I started Insanity...
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Yep fact of life and that sucker generally shows up when I'm going somewhere and want to try to look my best.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    You are most likely retaining water if your body is changing in appearance over the course of a few days. Where you are at in your monthly cycle and the amount of salt you consumed the day before can easily make you look and feel puffier. Try drinking more water to help, it will cut down on the amount of water your body holds onto.

I agree and would like to add the idea of increasing your potassium to help with your fluid balance. I believe the ideal potassium:sodium ratio is 2:1.
  • albayin

I agree and would like to add the idea of increasing your potassium to help with your fluid balance. I believe the ideal potassium:sodium ratio is 2:1.

ah...time to eat bananas....I have eaten bananas for months....
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

Could increase of workout intensity cause this release of ADH as well? or totally something else? I started body combat a couple of weeks ago and that's when I start noticing my waistline change...it happend also when I started Insanity...

No, working out does cause you to retain water but for different reasons. If you fatigue your muscles they will retain water for the purpose of repair and for the storage of glycogen, their primary energy source. This results in the muscle swelling and becoming turgid (more firm) and of course also adds to your overall weight. Also totally normal.