Help me train for cross country!

Options
In an attempt to get involved on a commuter campus and because I liked running, I decided I would sign up for cross country at my college. I made the team, but I've been slacking on my runs lately and I'm worried I won't be able to so it. But it's just I do not want to run. I don't want to go to the gym. I'm tired, unmotivated, stuck on a plateau, and I don't know what to do. I need to be able to run 8 miles by the end of August.. I don't even think I can manage 3 right now. Help!

Replies

• jbaker1663
    jbaker1663 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Couch to 5K app? It helps you start by mostly walking, and increases how much you run each day. You could move up to 10K after you can easily do the 5K. If the biggest reason you don't want to run is that you're tired, try to manage that. I don't know your schedule, but you could run early in the day, when you're less tired. Or perhaps find someone to run with to keep you motivated and make it more fun. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water-my boot camp instructor says your body weight in ounces each day if you are exercising. Also, of course, it's important to fuel your body. You may have to gradually increase your calories so you have the energy you need. If losing weight is your only goal, you can make it on less calories. But if you want to have enough energy to undertake strenuous physical activity, you'll definitely have to eat enough calories to fuel the activity. It sounds like you're frustrated by your weight loss plateau, and that can be so aggravating. Try to focus on feeling good, and increasing your activity because the more active you are, the more calories you'll burn. That way, you don't have to worry about eating more-if you eat more, you'll have the energy you need, which will enable you to do the exercise you need, which will help you get stronger and healthier and leaner! I can only eat about 1200 calories a day, so my weight loss is very, very slow. If I exercise, that just isn't enough calories to keep me awake and alert. I try to burn 2000 calories a day, so I can eat 1500. It lets me eat enough to exercise, and my weight loss is actually faster than it would be at 1200 calories (because at 1200, I only had a 300 calorie deficit). Hang in there!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You don't eat enough to fuel yourself at rest. Until you fix your eating issues you will not have the energy to successfully run cross country.