What's your favorite movie of all time?

Options

Replies

• Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    Options
    I have so many favourites... but if I could narrow it down to 3...

"Groundhog Day" - I love it - it's a great feelgood film that has some very moving stuff in there without being preachy or schmaltzy!

"The Wicker Man" - I mean come on... creepy plot... folk music... a maypole AND Christopher Lee in a long black wig? What's not to like? :laugh:

"Cast Away" - yep, this is my ALL TIME favourite... and call me a softie, but I cry when he loses Wilson... although my wife finds the scene funny - so I refuse to watch it when she's in the room!!!

:laugh:
  • dobergfell
    Options
    The greatest movie ever made: LORD OF THE RINGS !!! I have yet to find anything that comes close.

Honorable mention: THE PRINCESS BRIDE :happy:

Some of my favorite lines from The Princess Bride:

"INCONCEIVABLE!!!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha...."

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
    You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die"

"I'm not left-handed either. "

"Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped"

"Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
    What's that?
    Go through his clothes and look for loose change."

"Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?
    If there are, we all be dead.
    No more rhymes now, I mean it.
    Anybody want a peanut?!?"

And of course....

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The Sound of Music, hands down. I never get tired of it.

Another more recent release I don't seem to get tired of seeing is "Ever After" with Drew Barrymore...love her!
  • tschulz2
    Options
    "The Thing" with Kurt Russell.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hope Floats :heart:
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    Then there is the scene in Glory where Denzel takes off his shirt,

oh HELLO....who wouldnt like that part! just sayin......
  • Wiitabax
    Options
    So hard to narrow it down.

Wizard of Oz and Philadelphia -- Wizard of Oz was my brother's favorite movie. He died of AIDS 16 years ago. I can't watch either of those movies without thinking of him

Two other great movies: Harvey (watch it every years at Easter)
    Lonely are the Brave

Wizard of Oz is a favourite of mine too - it's so weird though... I love it but damn, it's freaky... flying monkeys? The way that a witch is after ye and you just want to SING and lollygag? :laugh:

We saw a West End (London) show - "Wicked" which is about what happened before the movie... very well done and worth a look - an excellent live musical that's ALWAYS packed out and highly acclaimed.

My respects to you, and to your late Brother.

:smile:

Neil.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    The greatest movie ever made: LORD OF THE RINGS !!! I have yet to find anything that comes close.

Honorable mention: THE PRINCESS BRIDE :happy:

Some of my favorite lines from The Princess Bride:

"INCONCEIVABLE!!!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha...."

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
    You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die"

"I'm not left-handed either. "

"Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped"

"Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
    What's that?
    Go through his clothes and look for loose change."

"Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?
    If there are, we all be dead.
    No more rhymes now, I mean it.
    Anybody want a peanut?!?"

And of course....

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

I forgot about Inigo Montoya!
    Classic!
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Going to rent it tonight!!
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Slingblade.....mmmhmmmm
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    Slingblade.....mmmhmmmm

LOL!
    Ditto!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Wizard of Oz is a favourite of mine too - it's so weird though... I love it but damn, it's freaky... flying monkeys? The way that a witch is after ye and you just want to SING and lollygag? :laugh:
    Neil.

The flying monkey's freaked me out when I was a kid. It was the equivalent to watching Poltergeist at the time.
  • Wiitabax
    Options
    Neil.

The flying monkey's freaked me out when I was a kid. It was the equivalent to watching Poltergeist at the time.

Agreed! VERY freaky... and when Dorothy's house squishes the Witch... the good witch more or less says: "Hey ho that's cool... but her sister will be coming after you to exact a TERRIBLE revenge... now - off you go with these psychadelic wee folk and sing!" VERY trippy...

Mind you, so is the original "Willy Wonka" film... I love it, but some of those freaky scenes!!!

:laugh:
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    My favorite movie has been Rocky Horror since I was 7 years old. (TV version of course, when I saw it back then)
    It's followed closely by Empire Records.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    My favorite movie has been Rocky Horror since I was 7 years old. (TV version of course, when I saw it back then)
    It's followed closely by Empire Records.

Oooo, Empire Records.
    I love to hate Gina!
    Also, Cory and AJ's love story is the best!!
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    Cannot pick just one, but among my favs (at least the ones that spring to mind):
    a few good men,
    return to me,
    16 blocks,
    independence day,
    i, robot,
    the last samurai,
    braveheart,
    good will hunting,
    mission imposible 3,
    spy game,
    notting hill,
    pretty woman,
    lethal weapons and
    die hards,
    the terminator movies,
    con air,
    men in black,
    the matrix (first one),
    da vinci code,
    the blade movies,
    the patriot,
    air force one,
    while you were sleeping

(had to edit, after reading the rest of the posts, forgot some)

taken (kickass!)

and sixth sense. (first time I saw it in the theater, I could not help myself, when the wedding ring rolled on the floor I blurted out "Oh my God! he's dead!")

plus last boy scout,
    home alone 1 and 2,
    liar liar (still one of the funniest movies I have ever seen)
    bruce almighty
    the kid
    rules of engagement
    broken arrow,
    ghost,
    ocaens movies
    ghost
    double jeoprady
    face off
    the first pirates of the caribbean
    father of the bride
    big
    wedding singer
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is there any other greatest movie of all time other than Star Wars? I think not!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Grease is coming on again this week. I've seen that a million times. I own the movie and the soundtrack.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Slingblade.....mmmhmmmm

:laugh: I love that movie too!!!!!

I would say one of my faves though is Braveheart. it has it all, action, romance, tragedy and a little humor. And it is loosely based on true events....sigh.
  • lizzowen
    Options
    :wink: Dirty Dancing & Pretty Woman & Drop dead fred one more P.S. i love you
  • Wiitabax
    Options

i, robot,
    the terminator movies,
    men in black,
    the matrix (first one),
    da vinci code,
    the blade movies,
    taken
    sixth sense.
    ghost,
    face off

Thought I'd 'browse' your selection lol - out if that list, these are ones I like very much!

:smile: