17 yr old daughter just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

Options
tjsoccermom
tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
My 17 yr old dd was just diagnosed with type 1. We don't personally know anyone with this disease. Would love to hear from anyone with tips, tricks, etc. it's all so overwhelming. She's doing great, and is confident that she can handle this, which is great. However, I think it's going to be more challenging than she thinks. She was supposed to go on a vacation with a friend and her mom in 10 days and then on a mission trip to Mexico in 23 days, both of which I'm unsure about now. We're still in the hospital right now, she had DKA. Thanks in advance. I know it could be something so much worse, I'm trying to look at it that way.

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

This.

And perhaps speak to a registered dietician who specializes in diabetes management?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    A third for:
    http://www.diabetes.org/

One of my best friends in high school had Type 1 diabetes, though he had to be prepared and carry insulin, candy, diet soda and testing supplies and other things depending on the situation, he led a pretty normal life. He did everything we did -- and was completely able to handle it.

Don't automatically assume your daughter's life will be limited -- different, yes. But assuming she has a positive attitude, is responsible and understand how serious her condition could be if not properly managed, she will do fine.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My 17 yr old dd was just diagnosed with type 1. We don't personally know anyone with this disease. Would love to hear from anyone with tips, tricks, etc. it's all so overwhelming. She's doing great, and is confident that she can handle this, which is great. However, I think it's going to be more challenging than she thinks. She was supposed to go on a vacation with a friend and her mom in 10 days and then on a mission trip to Mexico in 23 days, both of which I'm unsure about now. We're still in the hospital right now, she had DKA. Thanks in advance. I know it could be something so much worse, I'm trying to look at it that way.

It will be a challenge.

Definitely tell the doctors there at the hospital about the trips you have planned. They may advise her not to go, since it's only 10 days away. There's so much to learn....but pretty soon it will all become second nature. Although, she is at a more mature age to know the seriousness of Type 1. She will still be able to enjoy life. Things will just be a little different and she will need to make a few adjustments to her lifestyle. She may be able to get a pump (which is good for active/athletic teens) , as opposed to taking shots. I'm sure they'll tell you all your options while you are at the hospital.

I am so pleased to hear that she seems to be doing well. My 8yo sister passed away, 16 years ago, due to complications from DKA. She was diagnosed with Type 1, in the hospital. We had no idea, and my family was devastated. Since then, my family and I have worked with multiple families and their children that have Type 1 and have gone through the same situation that we have or the same situation you are going through.

Also, my 14 yo old niece was diagnosed with Type 1, 3 years ago. She has coped beautifully! She actually attends the Juvenile Diabetes Summer Camp (that my mother volunteers at) every year....and plans on being a camp counselor there once she turns 18.

I'm not an expert by any means....but I've learned a lot over the years. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask....or if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'd be happy to just talk as well. : )
    But be sure to speak to the doctors about any questions or concerns that you may have.
    Make sure to be as comfortable as possible with all the info given before she is released to go home.

Good luck to you!

http://jdrf.org/ <
    the site for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (lots of good stuff there)
  • wihltsabow
    wihltsabow Posts: 5
    Options
    Diagnoses like this are extremely hard to swallow. It's a life-altering disease, but it sounds likes he's got a great attitude to start! It will definitely take her some getting used to, but after too long it will become second nature to her and just another step in her day. And with the new advances in medicine, DM is easier than ever to control. Insulin pumps are a huge advantage, but the units themselves are often pricy as well as monthly supplies even with good insurance.

There are many programs called Diabetes School because there is so much to the disease. It's important that she has a full grasp on how to account for sugars and carbs and how to scale regular insulin. This is why a vacation in 10 days may not be the best idea, which sucks especially because you don't want her to feel like there's anything she can't do now because of her diagnosis. See what her doctor says about the trip; 10 days may be enough to figure out how many units of insulin she'll need a seventy person's dose varies.

Just support her and learn everything you can with her at this trying time. It may benefit her to just explore some sugar-free options of sweets just to see it's not all bad.
  • Charlatte14
    Options
    I'm sorry for your daughter's diagnosis. My son, now 19, was dx'd at 11. There is a huge learning curve to this disease...but the steps she will have to take to stay healthy will become second nature to her. Reach out to JDRF as they will have resources, advice, support and things you need.

I also recommend you find a good endocrinologist who specializes in type 1 diabetes...even a pediatric endo since she's not 18 yet. Your daughter's medical team will be the ones who advise you on her planned trips. Her body has gone through a lot of stress leading up to this diagnosis and will take time to get back to her normal activities.

Good luck.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I have been reading and we're at Cincinnati Children's which is an excellent hospital. We're getting a lot of education and will have plenty of follow up care. I was hoping I might get some responses from those with a similar experience so I could get some real life stories of what I might expect. We are getting great advice, I just hate that this has happened so close to some experiences she was looking forward to, esp. the trip to Mexico, since she wants to go into medical missions in the future.