PCOS Hair Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Eunmie
    Eunmie Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When i was 16 i was diagnosed with pcos, I was put on progesterone for two weeks to jump start my cycle, but after the first attempt with success my health insurance was cut off. At the age of 25 now, a few years ago I stopped taking care of my hair and self. I developed really bad SD due to it, but now I keep researching on the hair loss hidden behind the condition, but knowing I have PCOS, which at the age of 16, i was told my Testosterone levels were slightly elevated. Over the past 2 or 3 years, I noticed my hair density had changed gradually, and associated it with the SD. But now my fears about this: Is my hair going to grow back? Is this hair loss associated with PCOS or just the SD? I never experienced heavy shedding over the years, only noticed that the hair that had fallen out had grown a little bit, but is the sd the reason behind it not growing right now? Or should I just be hell bent on getting medicaid to see a doctor about this problem? It really worries me, after reading all of these horror stories online, I'm beside myself with the whole thing.I've started taking a multi-vitamin about half a year ago, and it seemed to help with my symptoms of anemia. I started taking 10 mcg's of biotin almost two weeks ago, my eyebrows grew in thick and my nails are finally back to a normal status, other than the ridges. My eyelashes even grew longer too, it's still too soon to see what it will do for my hair, since it's only been about two weeks. I will soon be starting MSM and a fish, flax, and borage oil supplement to aid with the inflammation on my scalp as well, since I don't eat a balanced diet that consists of fish or nuts. For the most part the inflammation on my scalp is almost nearly gone, and my hair shed is still normal, it's so depressing seeing less density to my hair, the hair that had grown but stopped in some areas are thick as far as I can tell, some areas are thin because of the sd and them growing alongside with it, but the pcos hair loss still weighs on my mind. I don't want to experience anymore hair loss, losing about half my hair density is terrifying enough. At least my hair line is intact to where it's less noticeable
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I saw this post had recently been bumped, and wanted to post. I lost most of my hair due to PCOS. I had resorted to wearing "clip on" hair. I tried the prenatal vitamins, every hair growing product under the sun (as my parents owned a salon, and I was in/graduating from beauty school around this time). Nothing I did would make my hair grow. It wasn't until my hormone levels were balanced out, that it began to grow back. The first thing that I always recommend to any woman with PCOS is to know your numbers. Know if you're struggling with any hormonal imbalances, and what your best options are to try to combat these. Depending upon the severity, some may be able to be controlled with changes in diet and exercise, while others may require use of medication.

I've posted a guide about PCOS on another thread. This is helpful for those who have been newly diagnosed, and even for those who may have been struggling for awhile, but didn't realize some options:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30028111