Percentage of Body Weight Lost

Options
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this question but here it goes...

Okay, so I've been doing some reading at MFP over the last few days and have seen several people post what percentage of their body weight they've lost. I started wondering what percentage of my body weight I'd lost. So if I started out at 345 lbs and have lost 124 lbs that means I've lost 36% of my original body weight. But my current weight is 221 lbs and that would be 56% of my current body weight. Which is the correct calculation? Which calculation would you use?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You want to calculate based on what you originally weighed- so you have lost 36% of your body weight- which is AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Now lets say you lose 5 lbs next week. Then you could say that week you lost 2.3% of your body weight since you weight would have been 221 and you lost 5 lbs of that.

I think the overall is better to look at. Once you reach your current goal weight of 165 you will have lost 52% of your body weight. Keep up the GREAT work!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    None of them are 100% and every one you use will tell you somethign different.

The main thing you want to do is just pick one and go with it. If you want to be as accurate as possible, pay a professional to have them evaluate you. For as we all know, every one is different.