Who has been successful KEEPING the weight off and how?

Options
Hi, I'm new to MFP, but not to diets. I've done them all. But I always gain it back. So this time I'm using MFP as a tool for awareness. Since my weight is tied to emotional eating, the first question I ask when the food is heading for the mouth is...am I really hungry? If yes, then I ask...is this really something that my BODY really wants? Is it satisfying nutritionally and taste-wise. Keeping a diary like this keeps me aware and honest with myself. I have to do this as a gift to myself. I turn 50 in March and I really don't want to be carrying an extra 25 pounds on my birthday.

Anybody out there who has had success KEEPING the weight off (within 10% of a goal weight), I'd love to hear from you. Even if you're back to get back down to goal.

Replies

• ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hey Neesie,
    I haven reached my end, end goal weight but I have been continually losing weight for 4 years now :-)

My advice would be to make it a mind set not a diet! You are trying to change your life and your health not just be on a diet and lose weight.

Tracking calories is one of the most important thing you can do to keep on top of how much you are eating. There was also a study done on people who lost weight and those who regularly weighed themselves gained back much less weight than those who didn't weigh themselves regularly :-)

I have completely changed how much and what I eat over the years. I used to drink soda, now I only drink water or unsweetened teas. It's little things over a period of time that make a big difference. Also, try to find some like-minded friends. I forget the exact quote but it goes something like this, you are the average of you 5 closest friends. Do you want to be like your 5 closest friends? If not, it may be time to meet some new people, people who will help you change your life :-)

-Chancy