Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone customizing nutritional goals?

khk2010
khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
I want to customize my goals but not sure of the best source to base it on. For example I'd like to adjust the carb to protein ratio for my age and diet style. Any input on finding help on determining this?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You can customize to whatever works best for you. If you are not on a low carb diet then carbs should be 45-60% of total calories, Protein should be 15-30%, and fat should be 20-30%. Anywhere withing those ranges would be a balanced diet. If you are a low carber then your % would be different.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    It will depend on your activity, but personally, I would speak with a registered dietitian. Or just go by the standard numbers.
  • redcrow9
    redcrow9 Posts: 22 Member
    Hello. I use a different calorie counting site that allows you to customize your nutritional goals. It breaks down EVERYTHING! Carbs protein fat fiber sodium potassium calcium even the necessary vitamins.
    Unfortunately this site takes a dim view on posters recommending any site that is competition.
    I can help you out if you want. Just give me your stats (age, weight, height, activity level, goal weight and your goal ie; maintaining losing or gaining weight).
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Jillian Michaels has a quiz that you can take that tells you what type of metabolism you have and then it recommends the ratios based on that. If you do a search, you can probably find the information online.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Normally I'd stick with 40/40/20... 40%carbs, 40% protein and 20%fats.. that's in a normal diet...

and I agree with Amarillo_NDN ; everyone is different..

if you want to gain some muscle your protein should be 1.0g's - 1.5g's to every pound of lean body mass that you have. This will help to preserve muscle.

some are low carbers like me, so my fats are equal to my proteins.

runners require more carbohydrates...

It ALLL depends :)
  • erickirb
    Hello. I use a different calorie counting site that allows you to customize your nutritional goals. It breaks down EVERYTHING! Carbs protein fat fiber sodium potassium calcium even the necessary vitamins.
    Unfortunately this site takes a dim view on posters recommending any site that is competition.
    I can help you out if you want. Just give me your stats (age, weight, height, activity level, goal weight and your goal ie; maintaining losing or gaining weight).

This site allows you to do that, go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes then click save changes.
  • erickirb
    Normally I'd stick with 40/40/20... 40%carbs, 40% protein and 20%fats.. that's in a normal diet...

That is not a normal diet, that is it a moderate carb high protein diet. a "normal" balanced diet has protein between 15 and 30% and carbs not lower than 45%. Ask an nutritionist they would not agree that 40/40 carbs protein is a normal diet.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    There are a number of apps on the web that will help you set some goals. They are all different so you may want to try a few and then pick the recommendations that make sense to you.

I am not at home so I don't have any links readily available but I got my links by Googling so I recommend that as a starting point.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I forgot to say that, yes, I have customized my goals. I have sodium set to 2000 which is lower than MFP's defaults and my macronutrients are set to:

30/40/40 (fat, carbs, protein)

Because I need more protein than the average person and also eating fat doesn't cause my cholesterol to rise but eating too many carbs does cause me to start craving junk food.
This discussion has been closed.