Intermittent Fasting

Options
Tomm88
Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
So the newest trend on the web IF, i tried it last year, for fat loss it works like a charm, for muscle growth, not so good, plus if you're sensitive to any kind of eating disorder i would stay well away from this.

Anyone tried this? people with success stories?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 but that is only because it suits me to eat that way. I don't miss snacking at night since I've not really been into that and not really a breakfast person either. I just eat an early lunch then have more spare calories to eat till around dinner time when I like to eat and have some wine.
  • Tomm88
    Options
    I did the same thing 16:8, the only time i really felt a difference was at work in the morning after having no breakfast lol, It worked though i got alot leaner, i still use alot of the IF guidelines though, small meals before working out and the biggest meal of the day after training, I'd encourage people to do that.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,610 Member
    Options
    I did 5:2 for 4 months and lost successfully on it. I ate at TDEE on the feast days. I think it is a good protocol, if psychologically, you deal with occasional short bouts of extreme deprivation better than constant low level deprivation. I turned out to be wrong about myself on this front. Stopped on vacation and never restarted. I lost more steadily doing IF than I am now using a more conventional calorie deficit. You can turn this into a lifelong maintenance program too. My old GP (in another city) used to fast once a week whenever he noticed his weight creeping upward.

Pros: If you don't like counting calories, you only need to twice a week. If you deal with occasionally extreme deprivation better than constant low level deprivation, you will like it. Builds in a 3000 calorie deficit weekly without being subject to inaccuracies from counting calories or burns.

Cons: I tended to be pre-occupied by food on my fast days.
  • Tomm88
    Options
    The only con for me was i am a big eater and i have a big appetite, so when it got to around 12 mid day and it was time for my first meal i was pretty much starving and i would eat so fast i would almost choke to death lol.

For weight loss though i would recommend it for anyone, except people with a history of eating disorders and that kind of thing.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Have bulked and cut with success because of it. It's just an eating protocol, and nothing more. If following it aids you in overall dietary adherence, then stick with it. I do not buy into the extra "fat burning" benefits touted by it though.

I just prefer to eat bigger meals, as opposed to carrying 450 Tupperware containers with me.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Have bulked and cut with success because of it. It's just an eating protocol, and nothing more. If following it aids you in overall dietary adherence, then stick with it. I do not buy into the extra "fat burning" benefits touted by it though.

I just prefer to eat bigger meals, as opposed to carrying 450 Tupperware containers with me.

^This. It isn't the "newest fad" as OP first stated. I know many people that have sucessfully bulked and cut with IF. It isn't magic, and although there is a scientific argument that when cutting IF may increase fat burning over other protocols, like LolBroScience stated, it is open to debate. If it works for you, continue. At the end of the day, bulking or cutting is all about calories in vs out.