Any advice for Shin Splints?

Options
Plain and simple, I started to run and bam.... shin splints...any advice?

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I get them REALLY bad. I'm doing the c25k program...it assures you don't do too much too fast. Also, STRETCH!! I can not stress that enough! Ice your shins after running as well.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The inflamation of soft tissue known as shin splints can be initially treated with rest, ice, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and physiotherapy. Patients may be advised to decrease the duration or intensity of their exercise and then build it up slowly Specially fitted footwear or an orthotic may be used to prevent a reoccurrance of shin splints
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    REST, water, protein, advil and repeat!

Also, it sounds silly but lay flat on your back with your legs raised and "spell out" the alphabet with your feet. It's the only way to really stretch shins.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Yes, Stretching and strengthening the muscles around your shin. Stand on a step with just the balls of your feet and toes on the step. Let your heels drop down as low as possible for 5-10 seconds, then lift up on to your tip toes for 5-10 seconds. Repeat this 10 times, 3 times a day.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    oooo those suck! take some advil and check your shoes...they may need to be replaced, I read that if you're running a lot you should replace your shoes every 3-5 months...seems like a lot eh? have an epsome salt bath while you're at it, that will help out a lot...just not to hot
  • Bairdy1990
    Options
    Freeze water in a dixie cup the peel it a way and rub the ice on the shins help the pain at least.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    The inflamation of soft tissue known as shin splints can be initially treated with rest, ice, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and physiotherapy. Patients may be advised to decrease the duration or intensity of their exercise and then build it up slowly Specially fitted footwear or an orthotic may be used to prevent a reoccurrance of shin splints

^^ This. And.....you've got to give them time to heal. Untreated, they can lead to stress fractures.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    When I did couch to 5k in June I heard about the Chi of Running, and it is a technique/form that really cuts down on running pain like shin splints. Go to youtube and search "chi of running" there is all the info you need in a couple of short videos.
    I am not any great runner-I am on week 6 of Gateway to 8k now, but this has helped me to run without pain and I know others who swear by it as well!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I actually used to get shin splints at the start of softball every year. My PT had me stick a tennis ball in a tube sock and just massage the bottom of my foot with it (like roll your foot over the ball) paying particular attention to the insides of the arches.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet and I have to make sure I use shoes for "stability" not just plain ole running shoes. Those help my shin splits, but according to my podiatrist, family doc, and chiropractor; they need stretched daily, not just if you're running or exercising.

http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html - scroll part way down and it will give you some details.
  • Charlie001
    Options
    Had the same proble. Take a few weeks off and do leg workouts. Especially lunges.
  • Chad45
    Chad45 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Kaye. I used to have a problem with shin splints. I changed how I run a little and it has made a world of difference in my shins. Everyone's different and has different leg and foot structure so I’m not sure if this will work for you, but I noticed that when I landed on the balls of my feet, like a sprinter my shin splints bothered me more. If I changed my stride to landing on a flatter foot or even heel striking my shins felt better in a couple of weeks. I did have to buy a shoe with more heel cushioning but this has definitely helped me. To this day if I do a lot of sprint work I can feel my shins bothering me. I’m not sure why but its feels like the muscles that relate to my shinbones contract much harder when I land on my forefoot as opposed to my heels. I’ve also had Achilles tendon bone spurs all my adult life so heal striking has help me live with them as well. When I land on the ball of my feet I feel a much larger force on the tendons and muscles of my legs and Achilles. I’ve read somewhere that heal striking is inefficient and will cause long term injuries, but it has kept me from having foot surgery and stopping running altogether.

Try to play around with your stride see how it affects your shins. I wouldn’t recommend anything too drastic, but something as simple as a small foot placement change may help a lot. Take a video camera to a gym and video your stride and foot placement from the side and back. You may be able to see inconsistencies or bad form you can correct that will help your problems.

Good luck to you and hope your legs feel better.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrible shin splints when figure skating and the thing that worked the best was foot circles: rotate the foot clockwise 10-15 times, then clockwise 10-15 times. I do this now every time before I run, sprint, do cardio - whatever - to loosen up the muscles and ward off the shin splints.

So sorry you are exeriencing this - they can be so painful, I know! Get better soon!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Haye girlfriend. I don't work for Reebok, I swear.

I bought the Reebok Zig shoe thingys and my legs haven't hurt since. They are expensive and ugly *kitten* hell and only come in men's but if you get past all of that, from what I can tell, they work.

http://www.reebok.com/US/product?modelId=30039373&articleId=J20340
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrible shin splints when figure skating and the thing that worked the best was foot circles: rotate the foot clockwise 10-15 times, then clockwise 10-15 times. I do this now every time before I run, sprint, do cardio - whatever - to loosen up the muscles and ward off the shin splints.

So sorry you are exeriencing this - they can be so painful, I know! Get better soon!

I do this, plus I do 10 reps each of flexing and then pointing my foot as far as I can. I also think of it as 'warding off the shin splints"!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
  • KristenY18
    Options
    I went to physical therapy and ending up getting them too! The PT did the frozen dixie cup trick too. He pushed down on them and consistently rubbed them up and down and they did eventually go away. The icing really helps!
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Also, it sounds silly but lay flat on your back with your legs raised and "spell out" the alphabet with your feet. It's the only way to really stretch shins.

This is really good for stretching your ankles too!
  • mismgl83
    mismgl83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I ran cross country track and field in Highschool and suffered from really bad shin splints. I managed the pain by doing the following:

1. Running on soft surfaces like dirt or turf
    2. Stretching - when you stretch your hamstring by bending you leg back and holding your foot, pull back further until you aren't stretching your hamstring anymore and twist your ankle, you'll feel a slight stretch in your shins
    3. Ice Ice Ice after every run - this is probably most important

Good Luck, they are painful and usually stick with you for life. I run again now, 10 years later, and I still have shin splints but not nearly as bad as when I was training for competitive sports.

-M
  • daniraebug
    daniraebug Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been told that potasium helps as well, so to eat bananas, spinach, avacados, tomotoes.