Can you make meat loaf with out bread crumbs?

NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
So...since I've been on the health kick, I don't have bread crumbs in the house...I don't have crackers in the house...I have actual BREAD (low cal whole wheat) lol

I've only attempted meat loaf once before, and it did not go so hot :blushing: ...is it possible to make without the bread crumbs?

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    oo oo oo...I found STUFFING...will that work...I better check to make sure its not expired...it was ALL the way in the back of the pantry...but..if all goes well, and its not a million years old...can you use stuffing?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    I use oats - That's how my Mom always made it. I like it :)
  • GingerDarlene
    GingerDarlene Posts: 164 Member
    dont see why not; just put in food chopper; so it's not so chunky
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    I think stuffing would be good!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Stuffing will work but I've used oatmeal before too - maybe 1/2 stuffing/1/2 oatmeal!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I use stuffing, but my mom uses oats...i like the oats better and there's WAY less sodium
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    You can use the wheat bread -- just toast it and chop into tiny pieces. :flowerforyou:
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Yesterday my trainer gave me a recipe for Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf. I haven't tried it yet, but will report back when I do :smile: She told me quinoa is high in protein. I just took a quick look at nutrition for 1/4 cup & it has like 6g protein, but also high in iron which is something I'm always on the lookout for. Gotta keep iron count up because I donate platelets on a regular basis. :smile:
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Dr. Oz 500 Calorie Cranberry Meatloaf Dinner

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/500-calorie-cranberry-meatloaf-dinner
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Oatmeal Really? I might have to try that next time, it doesn't taste funny? Thanks everyone I am NOT a good cook at all, so when I can't follow a recipe exactly...sometimes I go into a mini panic. lol Today I will be using stuffing! 6oomg of sodium...wow...but I have to remember I'm not eating the whole meat loaf by myself (or I hope not :frown: )
  • phoenixrising31
    phoenixrising31 Posts: 15 Member
    The paula deen meatloaf recipe I use and love (very moist and delicious) uses oats as well. And it's actually not to unhealthy a recipe except for the ketchup/mustard/brown sugar topping.
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    You can dry the bread you have in the oven and then smash or grind it up to breadcrumb texture. However, personally I mostly use quick oats,oatmeal or oat bran. Using whole grains like quinoa works too but I find I need to add a binding agent (egg or eggwhite) to keep the loaf together after cooking.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Oatmeal Really? I might have to try that next time, it doesn't taste funny? Thanks everyone I am NOT a good cook at all, so when I can't follow a recipe exactly...sometimes I go into a mini panic. lol Today I will be using stuffing! 6oomg of sodium...wow...but I have to remember I'm not eating the whole meat loaf by myself (or I hope not :frown: )
    Yep, I use oatmeal. I just made it this week, it's awesome! Here's a link to the original recipe posted here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/29116-diner-meat-loaf-muffins

And here's my variation. I've made this quite a few times and it turns out different each time depending on what I have on hand.

1 teaspoon olive oil <I omitted>
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped carrot <I omitted>
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves, minced <I used 2T. minced garlic>
    1 cup ketchup, divided <I used an 8oz can of Hunts tomato sauce, basil oregano flavor, and then topped w/ some organic ketcup>
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw) <I used 2#, 1 pound of beef, 1 pound of venison>
    1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20) <I used 1 c. old fashioned oats>
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper <I also added some garlic & onion powder>
    2 large eggs <I just used 1>
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Here is what I figured out for nutritionals.

160 cals, 6g fat, 6g carb, 1g fiber, 19g protein
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    In a pinch I once used mashed potato flakes, came out pretty good! I have also seen (not used) recipes that call for instant rice.
  • amandal15
    amandal15 Posts: 108 Member
    I use oatmeal in mine
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    I don't use bread at all, usually, but another tasty option is crackers, like saltines. Just crumble them up with your hands or smash them with something. Like with the the stuffing, you'll probably want to reduce the amount of salt added in the recipe.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    I use oatmeal.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I generally use oats...however last time I made oatmeal I put israeli couscous in it..OMG SO FREAKING GOOD!
  • I've also used Brown Rice, and it gives it a softer texture and it's good :)
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    I use oatmeal....works for homemade hamburgers too!!
This discussion has been closed.