I'm not the only thing shrinking. So is my grocery bill !

Options
I used to think eating healthy was expensive. Ya know, buying leaner meats, fresh fruits, vegetables, named brand things because they don't make healthier options in the store brand, etc. Well over the past 3 months I have noticed that I am spending about $30 less a week in groceries. Not buying the chips, cookies, ice cream, sodas or just overall junk food is not only good for me, it's better for my wallet. :happy:

Replies

• digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I noticed a HUGE money savings, especially in eating out. I don't do that nearly as much anymore, biiiiig cost savings for sure!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    eating less does help the total cost, but have you noticed it cheaper to eat unhealthy than healthy.
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    hell i seem to be spending way more i never really bought chips and ice cream and stuff but the meat and fresh veggies are high
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    eating less does help the total cost, but have you noticed it cheaper to eat unhealthy than healthy.

I find fresh in season locally produced food cheaper than the unhealthy options in the frozen and middle aisles. Potatoes are cheaper than french fries, dried beans legumes, oatmeal (not instant) are all extremely cheaper than most convenience food.
  • smarie62
    Options
    I find that although I don't spend as much, I actually go to the grocery store more often than I did before.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say the same thing. Fruits and vegetables can add up. and my husband and kids still prefer the junk food.
    I just buy chocolate, and it keeps me away. ha ha
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    it certainly depends on what you're buying... fresh, in season vegetables, dried legumes, oatmeal (not instant) and other options are all healthy and can be quite economical. Takes a bit more effort on my part to make oatmeal instead of boxed cereal for breakfast, or to clean and prepare fall vegetables instead of buying something pre-made, but I can easily feed myself on a limited budget with these items. Gets expensive if you want to have lean meat, dairy and out of season fruit + veg every day, for sure.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Same here - I just seen an increase =/

I guess I can't complain too much though. My husband is military so it's so much cheaper to grocery shop on post - crazy to see the name brand foods so high off post.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say the same thing. Fruits and vegetables can add up. and my husband and kids still prefer the junk food.

These are the households where the grocery bill goes up...........

When you have 1 or 2 people eating healthier and the rest of the household eating the old way.............

Just keep leading by example and they will soon WANT to follow you. Just keeping leading and they will soon follow
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options

When you have 1 or 2 people eating healthier and the rest of the household eating the old way.............

Just keep leading by example and they will soon WANT to follow you. Just keeping leading and they will soon follow

For our family it's my husband wanting to get better snack food also. My daughter also wants my snacks so it's buying extra for everyone! LOL
  • lisafrancis629
    Options

It's just me and my boyfriend and he's pretty easy to please. He doesn't mind that eating healthy. Having to buy for 2 different kinds of eating habits would increase the grocery bill. Don't know what I'm doing right, but I really am saving money !
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    My household is impossible. I'm eating pretty strictly healthy. My husband is eating what I eat, but in double portions, and he insists on the unhealthy snacks. My son is eating like a typical 7 year old because he won't eat a lot of the stuff we do (if it's a veggie that's not a carrot, corn, peas, or potatoes, he is NOT interested). It's ridiculous. If I could convince my husband (who is also grossly overweight) that he only needs to eat half of what he does and cut out a minimum of 75% of the unhealthy snacks, we'd be in better shape.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

It's just me and my boyfriend and he's pretty easy to please. He doesn't mind that eating healthy. Having to buy for 2 different kinds of eating habits would increase the grocery bill. Don't know what I'm doing right, but I really am saving money !

I guess my husband is pretty easy to please also............LOl

When I started low carbing back in 2003 I fixed the main dish (meat and green veggie, salad) for the both of us. I did however fix my husband another side, such as a baked potato, garlic bread or something of that sort for him.

Over the yeras his taste buds have adapated and we are primarily eating salad, meat and veggies. My hubby is almost off his blood pressure meds as a result.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    nope my husband is a picky eater. he likes meat, and potatoes. and boy can he eat junk food. but he is so skinny, and is in construction, so he burns it all off. He can eat a whole box of cereal after dinner. or a bag of chips in one night.

I try to keep my kids healthy. they have fruit just about every day for breakfast. and a vegetable with dinner. but if my husband is snacking after dinner, so are they. as long as they finished there dinner.

there is no changing my husband. we have been together for 8 years now, and he doesn't gain an ounce, and will continue eating the way he wants.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with the grocery bill slightly higher now that I try to eat healthier--BUT I know this is due to my husband still eating/wanting his junk food and pop!
  • EternalMysteria
    Options
    Winter months is when I save the most money. I make soup, or veggie chili, and eat it for a week for my lunches. It's nice to learn to eat to live, instead of living to eat.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I think its cheaper to eat healthy than unhealthy. For instance, If I stop at a burger biggie my meal cost me $7.61. For less than that I can buy a lb of Salmon at 3.99 lb, Fix and bake two pototoes, a salad (from my garden), and add a cup of cottage cheese. Let me do some quick math for one meal:
    Salmon $2.00 Half pound
    Cottage Cheese $0.40 4 oz.
    Potatoes 2 $0.27
    Salad $0.60
    ketchup $0.06 2 oz.
    Dressing $0.13 2 oz.
    Milk $0.13 8 oz.

Total $3.58

Now compare the price of fresh potatoes with the price of potato chips or anything else.

Like Mike Huckabee said, "If they pass it through a window it's not food."
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Winter months is when I save the most money. I make soup, or veggie chili, and eat it for a week for my lunches. It's nice to learn to eat to live, instead of living to eat.

I agree! I make cabbage soup and it lasts a whole week and is just plain cheap.