Bulking without squats and deadlifts

Options
Hi. A few days ago i started to bulk, and i am completely new to it. My problem is that my gym does not have straight bars to do deadlifts and squats. I am going to move to a different gym but i still have around 7 months left of my membership at the current gym i go to. Anyway, without the straight bars to deadlift and squat with is there any chance that i can build more muscle mass? I am around 6ft 3, weigh 180lbs and have been lifting for around 2 years. But people keep on saying that i look skinny now that I've lost weight, so i really want to build some more muscle but am scared that without these two exercises i am just going to put on the fat that i lost in the first place.

Replies

• cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Find a new gym.

Squats are a must, deadlifts are right behind them imo.

Don't deadlift unless you have perfect form.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You think that i shouldn't bulk before i find a new gym then?
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Just keep lifting heavy and eating, enough food, Of course you can put on good muscle without those two exercises, but when you can get to a new gym, I recommend you do them as they are great exercises, and help build a great body. Do what you can till then.:smile:
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    Just keep lifting heavy and eating, enough food, Of course you can put on good muscle without those two exercises, but when you can get to a new gym, I recommend you do them as they are great exercises, and help build a great body. Do what you can till then.

I'm happy to hear that dude. Really wanna start to bulk lol. Would temporarily replacing them with leg press, box jumps and shoulder shrugs be beneficial?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you have to do squats and deadlifts

otherwise:

upper-body-no-legs.png

leg-day-blog.jpeg

also bear in mind:

A0wn8OvCIAAoBCr.jpg
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Do what you can where you are at now, and go as heavy as you can.

But as said before, Squats and Dead Lifts are HUGE.

Big reason is that squats obviously work the legs, which is the biggest muscle group on a person.....
    So the release of Growth Hormone is greater when your legs are really worked.
    Which is what you want.

But I feel your pain....I am 6'1" and currently come in at ~168
    And I feel small
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Time for a new gym, squats and deads are irreplaceable, you can get by without them if you must, but why would you want to?

Rigger
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just keep lifting heavy and eating, enough food, Of course you can put on good muscle without those two exercises, but when you can get to a new gym, I recommend you do them as they are great exercises, and help build a great body. Do what you can till then.

I'm happy to hear that dude. Really wanna start to bulk lol. Would temporarily replacing them with leg press, box jumps and shoulder shrugs be beneficial?

anything is better than nothing.... also pistol squats with whatever weights your gym has. bear in mind when you go from the leg press to barbell squats you'll find you can't lift as much weight, because the stabilising muscles don't get worked with machines. However in the temporary absence of barbells, the leg press will still give your legs a good workout.

barbell squats > leg press > no leg day
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    you have to do squats and deadlifts

otherwise:

upper-body-no-legs.png

leg-day-blog.jpeg

also bear in mind:

A0wn8OvCIAAoBCr.jpg

In all fairness, if i looked like the second picture, i'd be happy coz i don't wear shorts ;) haha
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I LOVE squats and deads and have used them through all my lifting until now but they aren't actually necessary for bulking. Muscles are dumb pieces of meat. They don't know if you are squatting or pushing a leg press machine. There are plenty of benefits of free weights over machines like efficiency (squat to depth is basically leg press, leg ext and hamstring curl) but you can still bulk without them.

I'm now injured, can't squat or deadlift so utilising a whole heap of other exercises in place. Legs are trained with Bulgarian split squats, pistol squat (holding trx strap for balance), leg press, leg ext and hamstring curl. Got to do what you got to do.

This is a bulgarian split squat if you don't know. http://youtu.be/piRdiGiC6Gw
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Think i'll just try and put on a few pounds, lift heavy and see how it goes from there. Or maybe find a non membership gym that i can go to once a week and get the squats and deadlifts in. :)
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I LOVE squats and deads and have used them through all my lifting until now but they aren't actually necessary for bulking. Muscles are dumb pieces of meat. They don't know if you are squatting or pushing a leg press machine. There are plenty of benefits of free weights over machines like efficiency (squat to depth is basically leg press, leg ext and hamstring curl) but you can still bulk without them.

I'm now injured, can't squat or deadlift so utilising a whole heap of other exercises in place. Legs are trained with Bulgarian split squats, pistol squat (holding trx strap for balance), leg press, leg ext and hamstring curl. Got to do what you got to do.

This is a bulgarian split squat if you don't know. http://youtu.be/piRdiGiC6Gw

Gonna have to try those bulgarian split squats. They look really good. Thanks bro :)

P.s Subbed your YT channel
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Yeah leg press Even add some lunges. Etc.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    You've been given very good advice.

Keep bulking, lifting hard. Keep looking for a new gym WHILE going to your current gym and busting *kitten*.

We're all going to make it.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was confused by the topic of this thread. Although I love squats and deadlifts, I don't see what they have to do with bulking. You can bulk with any kind of sufficient resistance training, provided the diet is there.

But yaknow, squat and deadlift anyway.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats, and lunges with dumbells are also good. Don't put leg day off for 7 months, do what you can until your membership runs out at the current place. Best of luck.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'l take a look at some of the dumbbell exercises that i can find :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I do just fine, my legs grow just fine, I've never touched a barbell in my life and don't go to the gym.

For legs I do:
    DB weighted pistol squats
    Natural Hamstring Curls
    Bodyweight single leg squats (tuck squats/shrimp squats)
    DB weighted step ups

I've done hill sprints in the past, but its been a while. But they work great.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    They're not 100% necessary, but they're probably the two exercises with the most bang for your buck so to speak. There are work around exercises with a variety of other exercises that will still allow you the ability to add size. Good suggestions above...

I really like Bulgarian split squats.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Just keep lifting heavy and eating, enough food, Of course you can put on good muscle without those two exercises, but when you can get to a new gym, I recommend you do them as they are great exercises, and help build a great body. Do what you can till then.:smile:

This would be correct. They are not 100% needed. But there is no reason to not do them if you can. You can still grow muscle without them. They are just two of the best things to do if your body allows. Good luck.