losing more weight per week

Options
I am curious, I am trying to lose another 11 pound by June 24th, would it maximize my weight loss if i did more cardio, or if I eat less? which is better?

Replies

• LisAri72
    LisAri72 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow I could have wrote your post! I have around that amount to lose and exact date too. I don't have any advice for you, but I will check back to see what others say. Good luck!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Neither. You have 11 lbs to lose. Faster is not better. Never put a deadline on weight loss, as it will never be linear.

Also, with less to lose going faster increases the odds of muscle loss , rather than fat loss (muscle is what gives you a lean "toned" look) without it you'll achieve what Is affectionately coined as skinnyfat.

Here's what I would do: Take it slow, no more than 1 lb a week loss. Pick up a resistance training program like weightlifting to retain LBM, eat a good amount of protein, and take the time you have until whatever you have going on June 24th to be on your way to looking lean and defined. Also, with time comes learning sustainable habits so you don't relapse on bad habits. Just my two cents
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Even if you do everything correctly, it still will not guarantee the same weekly weight loss. Hormones, water, sodium, bowels, etc affect the rate at which your body burns fat.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Neither. You have 11 lbs to lose. Faster is not better. Never put a deadline on weight loss, as it will never be linear.

Also, with less to lose going faster increases the odds of muscle loss , rather than fat loss (muscle is what gives you a lean "toned" look) without it you'll achieve what Is affectionately coined as skinnyfat.

Here's what I would do: Take it slow, no more than 1 lb a week loss. Pick up a resistance training program like weightlifting to retain LBM, eat a good amount of protein, and take the time you have until whatever you have going on June 24th to be on your way to looking lean and defined. Also, with time comes learning sustainable habits so you don't relapse on bad habits. Just my two cents

Truth^^^

With someone like me, it's easy for me to lose 2-3 pounds a week, due to having 100+ to lose... As that weight comes off, my rate of loss will get smaller accordingly because I'll have less to lose. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I see about losing slowly and I have been but setting mini goals is something i do to give myself a ambition to get to the next step.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I see about losing slowly and I have been but setting mini goals is something i do to give myself a ambition to get to the next step.

Pick a mini-goal not related to the scale. You'll go crazy that way.

My goals are fitness-oriented. For example, ran XX miles in a month, lifted XX weight while benchpressing, climbed XX flights of stairs in a day...
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Goals are good . I have them as well but don't set high expectations. I did this before and when I reached my goal and didn't meet my expectation I was disappointed and just quit.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Having a mini goal of losing 11 pounds is fine. Having a goal to lose 11 in 4 weeks isn't good.

When I was at 285, I was worried that the 2.8 I was losing a week was too fast. I've lowered my goal to 1 a week now. I am not sure what you are at, but 3 pounds a week can't be good for you.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Don't put those kind of expectations around your weightloss. I feel like it sets you up to fail. Some weeks are better than others and even if you did everything right, it still might not work.

Celebrate what you are able to lose in that time frame. Also measure, it has helped me out a ton when that scale doesn't show what I think it should.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Don't put those kind of expectations around your weightloss. I feel like it sets you up to fail. Some weeks are better than others and even if you did everything right, it still might not work.

Celebrate what you are able to lose in that time frame. Also measure, it has helped me out a ton when that scale doesn't show what I think it should.
    When you put a date on a weight loss journey it creates more undue stress of which can slow it down.

I have had two very important weigh-ins for employment purposes and both weeks of the weigh in I saw the least amount of loss.
    Coincidence?
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I could feel the stress build up the whole week both times and that adversely affected the number on the scale.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

When you put a date on a weight loss journey it creates more undue stress of which can slow it down.

I have had two very important weigh-ins for employment purposes and both weeks of the weigh in I saw the least amount of loss.
    Coincidence?
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I could feel the stress build up the whole week both times and that adversely affected the number on the scale.

Good point!
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the words of advice for the OP. It has really helped me too. My scales haven't gone down this week, and I was feeling pretty bleurgh about it, but reading these replies has made me focus on other things - like the fact that I ran for 8 mins straight today - a few months ago i was struggling to run for 1 min! So feeling much more cheerful about it all now :happy: