Frustratingly slow weight loss, why?

Options
124»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You have possibly overestimated your TDEE. Remember that these calculators just give you a good estimate to start with...nobody has exactly XXXX calories as their TDEE...you have to make adjustments as per real world results. If your TDEE - 20% is 1,600 calories then that would suggest that your TDEE is 2,000 calories per day...which seems about right as per statistical averages, but perhaps you fall outside of those averages. As per your real world results, you should see a loss close to around 1 lb per week if those numbers were accurate. As it is, it would seem you are losing closer to 1/2 Lb per week which would suggest that your real world calorie deficit is only 250 calories which would put your TDEE at around 1,850.

It is further possible that you have relatively accurately determined your TDEE but you are underestimating your intake...this is pretty easy to do and even professional nutritionists and dietitians have issues accurately estimating intake.

Either way, your real world results suggest that your calorie deficit is only around 250 calories...so if you're fine with your current rate of loss then leave it be...if you want to lose a little faster then find something in your day to day to cut out around 250 calories more per day....should be as simple as cutting out a snack somewhere during the day or spending a bit more time exercising.

I've decided to lower my calories to 1,500 for now, and see how the next month goes and if necessary, I will go to 1,400.
    Initially the 1,600 was fine, and then suddenly I've started to stall.

Thanks for the thorough answer though, much appreciated.

Keep in mind that as you lean out, your TDEE adjusts down. You should adjust your TDEE at least every 10 Lbs lost. As you get smaller, you just don't need as many calories as you did previously...unfortunately.