Reached my first 5K goal this morning.

Options
My first goal was to finish in less than 37:00 which would make my average speed slightly more than 5mph. This morning I finished in 36:00 exactly. I am still in the run walk stage. My next goal is to run the whole way.

Are there any tips for going from walk/run to run?

Also, how do you make your feet fall lighter? There was a recent post that reminded me of the possibility of shin splints.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    well done
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    AGirlandHerFrenchie Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! That's awesome. To switch from walking and running to just running - simply add a little more running time each time your out. So, for example, if you are walking 5min and runnig 2min, then next time you're out try walking 4:30min and running 2:30min and work your way up to just running.
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I'm in the exact same situation. I did my first 30 min 5k running/walking earlier this evening and feel I could have done it all running if I weren't fighting off a cold.

My advice is try to run a little further each time you go out and try to beat your previous time.

My next goals are to complete the 5k in 25mins and to run the entire distance, which will come first I don't know but I shall be aiming for both simultaneously.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    That's really fantastic!!! Congratulations!

The first time I ran the whole thing, I took two rest days then just went. I told myself I could stop at two miles. When I got to two, I decided to just finish the darn thing and much to my amazement, I DID! You really just have to go until you can't go anymore. Another thing I do on 5+ miles runs is allow myself to run REALLY slow if I need to. I figure as long as I'm still going and not going backwards its a win.