"You've gained weight!"

Options
I'm 26, 5'3" 117lbs this morning. Earlier this year (January) I was around 108-110lbs. My family thought I looked sick and was too thin then. I thought I looked fine but Feb came and well bad eating habits started which caused me to gain 10lbs. I've been working hard to lose it but I'm not a squeaky clean eater, I do slip up some times and I've had bad days. Anyway, now that I've gained weight, my family thinks I look better.

And oh, Nov 2012 I was 179lbs. I lost it all last year. My goal weight was 115 but somehow the goal weight got lower and lower as I tried to maintain. Which sucks is the fact that people have seen me at my lowest weight and now that I've gained... It's like I'm giving them what they expected. Me gaining all the weight back. It's hard to wrap my head around and difficult to accept.

I was finally trying to accept the weight gain and try to lose weight slowly. I wanted to get rid of it ASAP but apparently that's not how it works. I finally got my confidence back, well some of it. (I stopped going out because people would see my weight gain) And then someone I haven't seen since January saw me today while I was out and said to me, "Wow, you've gained weight!" He said it two more times after that.

I didn't know what to say but all I know is that I felt so bad afterwards. I felt like crying. I know it shouldn't let it affect me but I didn't know how to handle that. :frown: I felt my confidence shatter into pieces. Now, I want to go back and hibernate in my cave and not see anyone until I've lost more weight. Just thinking about this makes me sad. :frown:

How do you deal with those kinds of situations?

If I saw someone and noticed they've gained weight, I wouldn't even bring it up! Would you?

Replies

• aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well 7 lbs is not that much weight... I bet you still look fantastic. I wouldn't worry about what others say, how do you feel? Start logging and staying within your calories and you'll be back on track in no time!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    One of my aunts would comment on my weight gain every Christmas. It was irritating. But I was overweight, and then obese. You're a healthy weight for your height, and you've lost a substantial amount. Congratulations!

My advice is to not worry at all about gaining a little weight. If you're not satisfied with how you look, check out the "Eat, Train, Progress" group here on MFP, to get advice on how to build muscle mass, since your scale weight is far less important than your body composition, energy level, and strength. Scale weight is easy to measure, but it doesn't capture the most important things, such as body fat percentage, cardiovascular fitness, and strength.

You can lose weight and still look fat, and you can gain weight and appear thinner. This web page gives a good overview of why:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/26/an-update-with-staci-our-powerlifting-superhero-plus-academy-scholarships/
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I think my automatic response would have been along the lines of, "Oh, man, so have YOU!"

Take that, jerk. :-P
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    First off, whenever other people comment on other people's bodies it is immature and mean and kind of a reflection of their own insecurity. There is this girl at my work that ALWAYS tells me I am too buff and I wont be able to have babies, yada yada.

My advice, screw them. Who made them so perfect. Don't worry about other people. Worry about making yourself happy. Life is way too short.

Secondly, LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT....7 lbs feels like a lot but its just 7 lbs you can lose it in a heartbeat. What you will lose if you sit at home and mope about it is your LIFE and EXPERIENCES. You will never gain back time.
    So just remember that. 7 lbs is not the difference between happiness and sadness. Go out explore life, pick some goals go achieve them. 7 lbs can be taken care of .....but if you are focusing on that you are clearly not focusing on finding happiness. Weight wont make you happy. Reaching your life worth living goals and finding love in your life and giving love will....

Good luck on your journey!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the phrase "BITE ME". :)
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think my automatic response would have been along the lines of, "Oh, man, so have YOU!"

Take that, jerk. :-P

perfect
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    First off, whenever other people comment on other people's bodies it is immature and mean and kind of a reflection of their own insecurity. There is this girl at my work that ALWAYS tells me I am too buff and I wont be able to have babies, yada yada.

My advice, screw them. Who made them so perfect. Don't worry about other people. Worry about making yourself happy. Life is way too short.

Secondly, LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT....7 lbs feels like a lot but its just 7 lbs you can lose it in a heartbeat. What you will lose if you sit at home and mope about it is your LIFE and EXPERIENCES. You will never gain back time.
    So just remember that. 7 lbs is not the difference between happiness and sadness. Go out explore life, pick some goals go achieve them. 7 lbs can be taken care of .....but if you are focusing on that you are clearly not focusing on finding happiness. Weight wont make you happy. Reaching your life worth living goals and finding love in your life and giving love will....

Good luck on your journey!

I wish there were a "like" button for this!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the phrase "BITE ME". :)

Ha,ha! LIKE!!!!
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! I was just caught off guard and I just didn't know how to react. I know I know I should just let it go and focus on other things that will make me happy but that moment.... just sucked big time.

It just amazes me how people can comment on a weight gain like that out in the open with other people to hear!!!!! I felt so embarrassed for myself that I wanted to hide under a rock.