Options
1235»

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: Law School didn't make me fat, I made me Fat

I fixed the topic title for you.

Remember you decide what you put in your mouth and how you spend your free time. If you don't watch what you eat and continue to eat like you did when you were working out then you'll gain weight since you aren't burning the calories.

If you built a lot of muscle and stop doing any form of physical activity then what do you expect? Use it or lose it. Law school is tough for sure there's no doubts, but I call BS on not being able to squeeze in time for a quick 30-45 min workout, and you don't even have to go to the gym.

Just wait until you have kids, start practicing "I can do" attitude vs I can't because __________. There will always be something to get in the way of your health and fitness if you let it.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The good news is that many law school graduates will have plenty of time to exercise once they graduate. Of course, depending on what school you're attending in the Durham area, you may be setting yourself up for 70-80 hour weeks in NYC. Either way, enjoy the summer off. :smile:
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    <
    really surprised this is only on page 4.
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been fit all my adult life (after undergrad)...until the first year of law school. The only "weights" I lifted were my books. I finally had time to workout in the Spring of my second year. I studied for my bar exam walking on a treadmill or on a stationary bike.

You can do this!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Some of these are pretty funny. But law school isn't an excuse. I was purposefully being lazy and using my free time to relax (it's easy to tell who never went to law school or have a demanding undergrad degree - sometimes you have to balance what's important - family, fun, and a lot of beer was a bit more important than working out in the VERY LITTLE BIT OF FREE TIME that you have).

But I was in shape prior to school, I just kinda let myself go that first year to adapt to the demand of school and understand what it required of me.

But for those who were "gun-ho" with the "you aren't doing your part stop making excuses", thanks, those were pretty fun to read - as someone who worked out for 5 years straight before going to school - I know all that stuff, but I've heard it in much more PROFESSIONAL ways that were actually motivating. Glad I wasn't depending on any of you to motivate me - that would have definitely made a first timer say "yea, these gym heads are not who I want to associate with".

For the rest of you that were actually helpful or understood the situation, good to see there are supporting people out there that would actually help those who may really be struggling with weight loss.

But to all of you - enjoy your exercise and dieting!

Honestly, this is an intro post. It should be met with "welcome in" and "this is how you navigate this site" and "what is your timeline for gaining 15 pounds of muscle." I think some of the responses were a little premature/direct for an intro forum.

HOWEVER, Davpul is spot on. There is not going to be a time in your life again where you aren't going to have a "very little bit of free time." And if beer is your priority, that's what you're going to get.

I have two pre-schoolers and a full-time job, I have a maid service and not everything is getting done because I have no free time at all. I don't have time to drink. I don't have time in the evening and I don't have the time to be a little off in the morning.

I carve out the time that I take to exercise: I was doing leg raises in the bathroom when the kids were in the tub on Saturday. I did laundry, Australian Pulls between sets of laundry, and let the kids swing on the suspension equipment on Sunday. For God's sake, you get to pee by yourself. Don't tell me about not having "free time."

I make my health a priority. We, all of us, have to make choices about where we spend the time we don't have. I'm done being "too tired" and using the myriad of VERY VALID reasons for not having the time to exercise. I choose what I choose because NOTHING gets done if Mommy isn't strong and healthy.

You can't drive a car you never service.

That being said, you will have plenty of opportunity to learn and explore MFP. It is a trove of information and insight. You'll learn a lot about yourself as you make choices and face the results, good and bad, of those choices. Good luck on your journey.
  • spinmaster54
    Options
    I'm definitely with you. Just graduated from law school and now need to prioritize my well-being again. Obviously we could have used our free time more wisely, but sanity and a moment of relaxation seemed more important at the time. I still have a ways to go and was hoping to lean on this community a little bit for support and advice, but with all this judgment I am no longer sure I want to!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Some of these are pretty funny. But law school isn't an excuse. I was purposefully being lazy and using my free time to relax (it's easy to tell who never went to law school or have a demanding undergrad degree - sometimes you have to balance what's important - family, fun, and a lot of beer was a bit more important than working out in the VERY LITTLE BIT OF FREE TIME that you have).

But I was in shape prior to school, I just kinda let myself go that first year to adapt to the demand of school and understand what it required of me.

But for those who were "gun-ho" with the "you aren't doing your part stop making excuses", thanks, those were pretty fun to read - as someone who worked out for 5 years straight before going to school - I know all that stuff, but I've heard it in much more PROFESSIONAL ways that were actually motivating. Glad I wasn't depending on any of you to motivate me - that would have definitely made a first timer say "yea, these gym heads are not who I want to associate with".

For the rest of you that were actually helpful or understood the situation, good to see there are supporting people out there that would actually help those who may really be struggling with weight loss.

I will preface this with the fact that I am a very senior lawyer, out of law school for many years.

First, if you think it is hard to be healthy in law school, you are in for a very rude awakening when and if you ever practice law.

Second, if you think law school is sufficiently difficult that you choose to spend your free time being purposefully lazy, you are in for a very rude awakening when and if you ever practice law.

Third, if your feelings are so easily damaged that anyone's comments on a community message board make you question whether you even want to be a part of said message board, you are in for a very rude awakening when and if you ever practice law.

Finally, it is taking much too much of my self control not to take a red pen to your post.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely with you. Just graduated from law school and now need to prioritize my well-being again. Obviously we could have used our free time more wisely, but sanity and a moment of relaxation seemed more important at the time. I still have a ways to go and was hoping to lean on this community a little bit for support and advice, but with all this judgment I am no longer sure I want to!

My advice: don't post on the forums unless you are willing to put on your big girl panties. There's a lot of good advice, but it's blunt.

Instead, read the posts and friend people who seem to have a similar outlook to you. It's my friends on here who keep me going day in and day out. Plus, I'm on a couple of forums that are incredibly helpful and motivating.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I will preface this with the fact that I am a very senior lawyer, out of law school for many years.

First, if you think it is hard to be healthy in law school, you are in for a very rude awakening when and if you ever practice law.

Second, if you think law school is sufficiently difficult that you choose to spend your free time being purposefully lazy, you are in for a very rude awakening when and if you ever practice law.

Third, if your feelings are so easily damaged that anyone's comments on a community message board make you question whether you even want to be a part of said message board, you are in for a very rude awakening when and if you ever practice law.

Finally, it is taking much too much of my self control not to take a red pen to your post.

+1
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

THAT is how you crush a thread. Excellent post

0wj1paa.gif
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

THAT is how you crush a thread. Excellent post

0wj1paa.gif

I always wanted to be a Khaleesi.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Law school made me skinny.
    But the bar exam and studying for it made me fat.

Are you just finished with your first year? Find a way to not let the stress take over and affect your eating patterns.
    You can still find time to exercise and you shouldn't be studying ALL the time, it will eat you alive if you do.

Good luck!
    And if you want lawerly friends, add me.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Forget about the reason / excuse you gained the weight. Focus on what you can do now to fix it. The good thing is 10 lbs isn't really that much to lose in the long run. Change your lifestyle and results will follow.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    So... sue them.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    Law school didn't make you fat. Life choices made you fat. First step towards weight loss is personal accountability.

^^^ This