Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Carbs, are they good or bad?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Thank all!

I know I can't really build muscle at a calorie deficit and I can't cut fat on a calorie surplus. I am having fun tweaking things to see what happens. I think the little fat left is due to alcohol. Yes I love my cocktails and even when I was losing my 50 pounds some days I would get a third of my calories from booze. To a degree booze is carbs so I cut back. Now I am cutting that back more, time will tell soon enough. Thanks again and I will try to update.

still calories, and you were consuming more calories than your body needed.

Got to pick one....
    Build muscle, or lose BF.....
    Take your pick, can't do both
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I am supposed to be maintaining but decided that there is a touch of belly fat left between me and my first "sixpack" Anyway I looked at my diet and decided to keep my active exercise routines (run about 25 mi/wk, lift 3 x week, abs daily) but also up my protein intake and lower carbs. I still eat a lot of fruit but have stopped eating the bun in a chicken sandwich. I have also given up Scotch and beer and limited my wine intake. Does it sound like I am on the right track? Not trying to lose more weight and also not trying to bulk up, just be fit and trim.

6-pack comes when BF% is pretty low.

So weight loss is part of the puzzle to get them to show

Oh and you can do all the things you are doing, but it won't matter a hill of beans if you ain't in a caloric deficit
    That's a good point. At 17% body fat, OP has a good 15 pounds of fat or so that he needs to lose to get into 6 pack range. Calorie deficit really is the most important aspect.
  • oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Hi,

Re your alcohol question ... thought you may want to read this link http://www.shapefit.com/alcohol-calories.html

Hope it helps :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Thank all!

I know I can't really build muscle at a calorie deficit and I can't cut fat on a calorie surplus. I am having fun tweaking things to see what happens. I think the little fat left is due to alcohol. Yes I love my cocktails and even when I was losing my 50 pounds some days I would get a third of my calories from booze. To a degree booze is carbs so I cut back. Now I am cutting that back more, time will tell soon enough. Thanks again and I will try to update.

Got to pick one....

agreed.

Too much running, not enough resistance training IMO. You definitely don't need to lose weight at your stats. You are 7lbs lighter than me and 6" taller. Add some mass, then cut the fat.

Yes carbs are good if you plan to do some exercise :smile:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Thank all!

Got to pick one....

agreed.

Too much running, not enough resistance training IMO. You definitely don't need to lose weight at your stats. You are 7lbs lighter than me and 6" taller. Add some mass, then cut the fat.

I agree both can't be done together but it seems like most opinions want me to build then cut. Is it wrong to lose some fat and then build? Keep in mind I am not trying get "big" just fit toned and if lucky a six pack.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Thank all!

Got to pick one....

agreed.

I agree both can't be done together but it seems like most opinions want me to build then cut. Is it wrong to lose some fat and then build? Keep in mind I am not trying get "big" just fit toned and if lucky a six pack.

Get off the nautilus machines and get under a barbell. Learn the squat and dead lift. I'd also say continue to cut but do it very slowly at no more than 1/2 pound or so a week. I say this assuming that running is your priority and a lean runner is a fast runner
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Thank all!

Got to pick one....

agreed.

Put it this way. I'm 5'8" and my lowest weight was 67kg. I was skinny fat. Very light, definitely no six pack. At the time I was running a lot and doing no resistance training.

Started lifting with bw stuff only and got up low 70's. Relatively low BF% but still no six pack.

Started lifting properly with progressive tension overload (I was focusing on the big 3 primarily) and started to eat more. Got to 78kg and was dexa'd at 7% BF. Full six pack.

Continued to eat more and gain strength over the following years to get to 85kg and still have visible abs (not 6 pack all the time) for most of the year and sit around 11% most of the time.

Trust me, you don't just get "big" overnight. It's taken me 6 years of consistent hard training and appropriate nutrition to get to where I am at now.

So basically what I'm saying is that if you continue to lose weight, you will likely get to a very low BW and still not be happy.

To grow core muscles, you need to provide it with a high stimulus ie. not doing 100's of situps. Do some heavy stuff that you can only do for 10 reps or so max. Do this every second day.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Agree with Chris...
    Man it takes time, and staying on point with your goals

So that is why we say pick which way you want to go.

If you want to go 6-pack.
    Then that means getting in the gym, pushing around heavy weight....incorporate compound lifts into your workouts......
    Full body ones where you can.
    And get your caloric deficit set and stick to it.

If Muscle and mass is what you are going for.....
    Then you are gonna want to go at maintenance, and maybe slightly above in calories, and push around those weights, and make sure you are trying to always overload when you workout.

I am 6'1" and currently 168 lbs.
    But it takes time.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Carbs are good in moderation.

They are not essential but for an active lifestyle they are optimal.

You will probably not need many carbs for you walks and if you are resting 48 to 72 hours between lifting you probably won't need many to replenish your muscles glycogen stores as your body will do this naturally.

If you are going to be doing anaerobic exercise you will probably need to take in extra carbs to fuel that.

100 g of carbs a day should be enough to cover the micros you need (more on heavy exercise days).

There are low carb forums which will probably give you more knowledgable feedback on low carb diets.

A lot of people have had great success with training and weight loss on MFP, but not many on the general forums have done it on a low carb diet.
    The human body doesn't replenish glycogen stores naturally. You need to eat carbs to replenish glycogen. That's why when athletes eat low carb, they have "carb up" or "refeed" days regularly.

Sorry but that's just incorrect. You may need to polish up on your glyconeogenisis!
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    My suggestion now would be to focus on exercise.

ETA: exercise AND toning.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I think you're right. I am already heading that way anyway. I am eating fairly well and only cut some bread and alcohol carbs. Running about 25 miles a week and resistance three times a week. Six pack AP five days a week. I eat oatmeal in the morning but add enough fruit to make it an 800 calorie meal and fruit is carbs. What I cut I am replacing with protein. I think I will go with what I started this week for awhile and see if I like the results.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

You will probably not need many carbs for you walks and if you are resting 48 to 72 hours between lifting you probably won't need many to replenish your muscles glycogen stores as your body will do this naturally.

If you are going to be doing anaerobic exercise you will probably need to take in extra carbs to fuel that.

100 g of carbs a day should be enough to cover the micros you need (more on heavy exercise days).

There are low carb forums which will probably give you more knowledgable feedback on low carb diets.

A lot of people have had great success with training and weight loss on MFP, but not many on the general forums have done it on a low carb diet.
    The human body doesn't replenish glycogen stores naturally. You need to eat carbs to replenish glycogen. That's why when athletes eat low carb, they have "carb up" or "refeed" days regularly.

Sorry but that's just incorrect. You may need to polish up on your glyconeogenisis!
    Glyconeogenesis isn't really a thing. It's used interchangeably with gluconeogenesis, it's a system used to create glucose for blood sugar regulation, not for creating muscle glycogen. Gluconeogenesis is a very inefficient process, and the glucose created by it is used to fuel the brain and maintain blood glucose levels, not to fill depleted muscle and liver glycogen stores. Again, that's what "refeed days" are for. If the body used gluconeogenesis to refill muscle glycogen, refeed days wouldn't exist. Also, athletes would never run out of glycogen and "hit the wall."
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Carbs=very good. YAY BEER.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Glyconeogenesis isn't really a thing. It's used interchangeably with gluconeogenesis, it's a system used to create glucose for blood sugar regulation, not for creating muscle glycogen. Gluconeogenesis is a very inefficient process, and the glucose created by it is used to fuel the brain and maintain blood glucose levels, not to fill depleted muscle and liver glycogen stores. Again, that's what "refeed days" are for. If the body used gluconeogenesis to refill muscle glycogen, refeed days wouldn't exist. Also, athletes would never run out of glycogen and "hit the wall."

Yes but we are not all athletes. Agreed anyone with a training regime that depletes there muscle glycogen daily will need to re-feed days (pretty sure I mention using additional carbs when doing heavy exercise).

Using the example of an athlete is a bit so a strawman argument anyway, but that being said if you did want to know how low carb diets fit with elite athletes I would suggest reading up on Tim Noakes (he's a bit of an expert in that field).

The body can produce (without the aid of dietary carbs) 150g - 200g of glycogen and not all of that is needed to fuel the brain and other organs - on a low carb / keto diet.

Oh and thanks to making a point of my spelling mistake on gluconeogensis, I thought such things were against the forum rules?
  • I heard from a friend... that her friend ate to many carbs and she exploded!

:bigsmile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    The general consensus will probably be calories in calories out is all that matters, eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your calorie budget, but I disagree. From my experience it's easiest for me to get very lean when I eat lower carb.

Maybe it all comes down to the fact that I'm eating less, but lower carb makes it so easy to stick to a diet because I'm not starving, or battling with cravings. That is a major plus in my opinion.

Yes. Do not confuse overall principles, preferred methods and helpful tips.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    I heard from a friend... that her friend ate to many carbs and she exploded!

:bigsmile:

That's preposterous. No one can explode from eating too many carbs! That's just not correct. Everyone knows what really happens if you eat too many cards is that you asplode.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    bump; BF %, diary closed, 178 pounds, 6feet 2, exercise regimen, and progress of said goal.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Glyconeogenesis isn't really a thing.

Athletes would never run out of glycogen and "hit the wall."

Athletes could run out of glycogen in intense exercise as they would use it faster than it could be made.

I think he meant glycogenesis which most definitely is a thing :-

604glycogenesis.gif

Glycogen is refilled in the absence of dietary carbs, but not to the same level as with high blood sugars and insulin following carb ingestion.
  • rgilsenan1
    rgilsenan1 Posts: 6
    If you are active, which it seems you are, then your body will turn almost none of the carbs you eat into fat. However what you are talking about is called re-compositioning which is very hard to do.

these videos explain how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFowOExixPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQstu7QkXM