NSV I beat diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That is freakin awesome!!
  • Mar_11
    Mar_11 Posts: 35
    Options
    I said, "You mean people get this diagnosis and don't do anything about it?" I was shocked when he told me a lot of people just give up and would rather be on pills the rest of their lives. I could not believe that.

I work for Podiatrists and I feel the same way! I am amazed at the diabetics that come in and are overweight. A little dietary change can go a LONG way on their disease management but they all insist on a "pill" to make them better! Diabetes CAN be reversed with dietary changes! You just have to make the effort and most people want the "easy" way out.

Congrats and BIG HUGS to you! Keep it up!
  • amflournoy
    amflournoy Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you soooo much for sharing your story! I am now one pill away from being diabetic free and your story gives me motivation to keep working hard. It's not easy, BUT it can be done. You are a testament to that. Thanks again and GREAT job!!
  • Dian1701
    Dian1701 Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for your post. I was told by my doctor yesterday that I am pre-diabetic. If I continue as I have been, I will be diabetic. I don't want it to get that far. In fact, the conversation I had with my doctor scared me into really looking at myself again. I was afraid that no matter what I do, I'm destined to be diabetic. Your post gives me hope.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Excellent, what a great story.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    You really can make important changes that will lead to improved health, and I"m glad you're feeling more confident. There are lots of success stories here to keep you encouraged. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • saishyamk
    saishyamk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for Sharing and Congratulations! :)

If I may ask, what were your highest Blood Sugar Readings?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Outstanding. WTG. Better things yet to come.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Best VICTORY ever! Yes, some people can beat diabetes. So glad you didn't give up and sit down. Even happier that you shared your VICTORY! CONGRTULATIONS:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I said, "You mean people get this diagnosis and don't do anything about it?" I was shocked when he told me a lot of people just give up and would rather be on pills the rest of their lives. I could not believe that.

I work for Podiatrists and I feel the same way! I am amazed at the diabetics that come in and are overweight. A little dietary change can go a LONG way on their disease management but they all insist on a "pill" to make them better! Diabetes CAN be reversed with dietary changes! You just have to make the effort and most people want the "easy" way out.

Congrats and BIG HUGS to you! Keep it up!

Well that wasn't the case for me.
    About 1 1/2 months ago when I was told that I was diabetic, I cried.
    I asked her if she would give me some time to reverse it on my own mainly because of my fear of needles.
    She said no, that the meds would help me to get my #'s down.
    I now fluctuate in the 80's range...mon I was 88 and today I was 81.
    I am Not someone who takes or uses pills like they are candy....the most I usually do is a Tylenol or Ibuprofen but that is very rare.
    Believe me, needles & pills is Not an easy way out & for those like me, you Never get used to it and Needles do not become your friend just because theyre with every day.
    Because my leg was amputated when I was little, as an adult I use crutches when Im at home & a wheelchair when I'm out (mainly for safety reason ie: wet floors from rain or someone spilling something), my fingers ache when I have to grip.
    So no, I didn't get the easy way out...I got the painful way out!
    I realize & understand that some people do, will & have lost limbs due to this epidemic, fortunately mine was not because of this but I don't want to chance losing another body part.
    Because the majority of my life has been without 1 leg, I grew to adjust my life around it BUT I can only imagine life being harder on someone who always had ALL their limbs and then 1 day didn't.
    I am not unsusceptible of this happening to me and that would be a travesty since I'm already down to 1 leg.
    The full freedom that would be taken from me is just too awful to fathom!
  • thomasblastind
    thomasblastind Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you fighting the same battle! I know you can do it. I remember talking to my doctor about my fear that even after I took control of my life and lost weight that the diabetes wouldn’t go away. I was afraid that if my three month check up didn’t show progress that it would destroy my motivation. My doctor told me that even if I couldn’t reverse the diabetes that getting fit and losing weight would have a very serious effect on slowing the progression of the disease. It’s hard, really hard, but some day a switch will flip and it will seem a little easier! It only gets easier and easier after that. When I started I could only stand riding my exercise bike for 5 minutes a day. Now I walk/jog 2-4 miles a day most days. There are also so many other benefits to putting the work in I can’t believe it! So don’t give up! I know you all can do it.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This is so much better than any number on a scale or size sticker in clothing you gave yourself your health back. Congratulations on taking your life in your hands and making it better and longer. Great job!
  • Semarshman
    Semarshman Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow, I cant even tell you how inspiring this is. I was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. My doctor is going to retest me in October this year. I am super upset about the diagnosis because I have been working on my health and wellness for over a year now and I have to wonder. If my test is this high now, what was it a year ago????? Still I can not worry about that now. I have to stay focused, keep getting healthier and lose the excess weight. Every day I do that I get a little closer to my goals. Hearing that you successfully brought your blood sugars into the normal range gives me hope that I will be able to do the same. Thanks for sharing this.
    Sarah
  • sfgirl2012
    sfgirl2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    FABULOUS POST!!! As a diabetes prevention coach, this is EXACTLY the realization of how truly serious a diagnosis of diabetes is that we try to share with participants. It is not just drugs for the rest of your life, it is serious organ damage which could have been happening for years while the disease has been manifesting. Diabetes is not only serious, it is expensive (drugs and supplies) and it is deterioration unless there is a serious wake up and life style change. Sadly, there are those who would rather just give themselves needles 1, 2, 3 times a day....

It is never to late to make a small change... dont go nuts, just do one thing at a time...maybe a walk after dinner every night...maybe eat a piece of fruit instead of something out of a bag for a snack. Small changes = big results.

Thank you for sharing this inspiration! You have changes some paths with your post!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!