Sore Hamstrings, Half Marathon in 3 days

Options
Hi Friends,

My first half marathon is this Sunday (yaaaaayyy)!!!!

My problem is that my hamstrings have been SUPER tight these last few days, every time I get up from my desk it takes a good 30 steps of stiff legged waddling before I can walk like a normal person!

My question is, knowing I’m racing on Sunday is it better to 1. Do light cardio like a fast walk, slow jog or elliptical to try and “loosen them up” or 2.should I just give them complete rest?

I know that any endurance activity I do over the next few days will basically have zero impact on my race performance, so I’m really just interested in knowing what’s best for the old hammies.

Aside from that, I’m foam rolling using ice/ibuprofen as often as I can.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,

My problem is that my hamstrings have been SUPER tight these last few days, every time I get up from my desk it takes a good 30 steps of stiff legged waddling before I can walk like a normal person!

My question is, knowing I’m racing on Sunday is it better to 1. Do light cardio like a fast walk, slow jog or elliptical to try and “loosen them up” or 2.should I just give them complete rest?

I know that any endurance activity I do over the next few days will basically have zero impact on my race performance, so I’m really just interested in knowing what’s best for the old hammies.

I was going to recommend what you were stating in the last sentence. I would maybe add in some walking and stretching and it woudlnt even need to be fast walking. Rest is your friend when you get this close to a HM.
    I know low potassium can lead to cramps and such and not sure if that is what you are experiencing. I know I have had some bad "charliehorses" that led my hammies to be sore for a few days.
  • thavoice
    Options
    Oh...and goodluck.

Have fun!!!
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,

I was going to recommend what you were stating in the last sentence. I would maybe add in some walking and stretching and it woudlnt even need to be fast walking. Rest is your friend when you get this close to a HM.
    I know low potassium can lead to cramps and such and not sure if that is what you are experiencing. I know I have had some bad "charliehorses" that led my hammies to be sore for a few days.

Oh potassium! Never thought of that 

*eats 50 bananas*
  • thavoice
    Options
    Hi Friends,

*eats 50 bananas*
    I am not saying that is the problem as I am not a nutritionist. I just know a few times I would get some cramps and such I needed a bit of potassium and after awhile it helped and would stop getting them.

but then I would forget for awhile and they would come back. It isnt an instant fix but at least one that cant hurt right?
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,

*eats 50 bananas*
    I am not saying that is the problem as I am not a nutritionist. I just know a few times I would get some cramps and such I needed a bit of potassium and after awhile it helped and would stop getting them.

but then I would forget for awhile and they would come back. It isnt an instant fix but at least one that cant hurt right?

Oh for sure, I only got excited because I've been told in the past by Drs that my sodium/potassium levels are a bit low.. so it was a lightbulb moment! lol