vacation

Options
I'm going on a much needed vacation to the beach:glasses: . Yay!! It has taken me about 3 months to finally lose 6 pounds. I'm really afraid that I will gain 3 to 6 pounds back in the week that I'm there. That's about what I usually do. :blushing: I don't do much on vacation but rest and lay on the beach and I do walk on the beach some. And of course apparently I do eat well while I'm there. My husband loves seafood, I like it ok fried but not much any other way. Need some encouragement and any advice. Thanks!! Y'all have a good day.

Replies

• ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that not all weight is fat - you may gain water weight while out there.

As an example, I decided to track my weight the day after Christmas (when my family and I turn into massive black holes that eat everything delicious) to see how my weight was affected by water weight. Here's how it went:

Dec 26 - wake up: 127.2lbs
    Dec 26 - post-workout (about an 1.5hr work out, average for me): 126.3lbs
    Dec 26 - end of day: 125.8lbs

So unless I miraculously burned almost 3500cal in my workout (I didn't), and then dropped another 1.5lbs throughout the rest of the day into thin air, the weight that I lost was namely water weight.

Don't be too concerned about a few pound difference, especially if you're eating things different from your usual diet. Chances are, it'll be water weight.

Remember to still keep in mind your goals and have fun - but try not to go too overboard. Eat slowly, enjoy your food, the scenery and your hubby's company and remember not to over-stuff yourself. Maybe invest in a beach ball or a frisbee and play with your husband a bit - it's not everyday (well, not for me at least) that you get to have so much fun in the sun!
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This helps me. It is used in books and eating support groups.
    Hunger scale 0 to 10.
    0 you are so hungry you would probably faint if you don't eat soon
    5 neither hungry or full
    10 so stuffed you can hardly move

Don't eat unless you are hungry (like a 2, 3, 4).
    Try not to get famished (0 or 1) or else you might overeat once you get a chance to overeat.
    Stop eating when you are at a 6 or 7.
    Don't eat so much that you're 8, 9, 10.

Do internet search on "portion hand size
    This will help you estimate measurements of food.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a much needed vacation to the beach:glasses: . Yay!! It has taken me about 3 months to finally lose 6 pounds. I'm really afraid that I will gain 3 to 6 pounds back in the week that I'm there. That's about what I usually do. :blushing: I don't do much on vacation but rest and lay on the beach and I do walk on the beach some. And of course apparently I do eat well while I'm there. My husband loves seafood, I like it ok fried but not much any other way. Need some encouragement and any advice. Thanks!! Y'all have a good day.

Keep tracking your calories. If you go over your calorie goal by 500 calories per day, you'll gain about a pound in a week. Does your vacation spot have a fitness room? You could try to fit in a 30 minute workout a few days during the trip, or a swim in the water, or a run on the beach, or a brisk walk on the beach. or look for other food besides the fried seafood if it's bothering you to eat it. Remember too that seafood is high in sodium and you'll probably retain some water while you're there if you eat it, so don't fret if your weight is up a couple of pounds when you get back. you'll lose that in a few days.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    When I am on vacation I tend to save up for a good evening meal. I maybe eat something light around lunchtime and then a good dinner. By not having much breakfast/lunch it leaves alot to eat yet at dinner
  • jules0558
    jules0558 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Good advice. I appreciate all the help. I'm so excited. I haven't been on vacation in a couple years. Have been taking care of my elderly sick Mother. I love her but I need a break. I just want to enjoy more beach time and less food this year. lol
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. Get back to work when you return.
  • guitargod2014
    guitargod2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Life is for living. Well done on the weight that you have managed to lose. it has clearly taken you a lot of hard work to lose what you have lost. Therefore, you are not going to put all that weight back on by the odd over-indulgent day here or there. What to try and avoid is over-indulging every day. This will change the good habits that you have trained into yourself back to bad ways - for example, eating more than you really need to.
    Since joining mfp, losing weight and working out, I try to ensure that I moderate what I eat much more than I used to. Try and keep the habit so that it is a lifelong change rather than temporary one.
    Bottom line - enjoy your holiday but try to enjoy it as the new you! - and do have a little of what you like, always.