Anyone else want to kick sugar?

Options
Does anyone else want to kick sugar? I really feel so much better when I'm off sugar and thought maybe others would want to join me in kicking the habit.

How about a challenge to have no sugar/ processed food with sugar as well for 1 week. Just post here every day with successes and/or challenges. I want to start tomorrow so I don't keep going the way I have for the last few days.

Replies

• luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    in, just in to see how this thread goes.
  • luvsunshine1
    Options
    Great, any other takers!
  • shq86
    shq86 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm in! Sugar is really my kryptonite. I can eat anything without/low salt but when it comes to sugar I'm like an addict. I can't really explain the feeling. It's like there's something missing. Like you just have these urges and temptations just to find anything sugary. I remember when I first started losing weight. I cut off sugar and I remember being grumpy and anxious. I think I experienced some sort of withdrawal symptoms. Then I read an article that say sugar is like a drug. And it explains everything that's happening to me. I'm not grumpy or anxious anymore but the urges are still there. So yea. Count me in!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    funny-cat-gifs-060-004.gif

In...though I'm also in just to see where this thread goes. I love Talenti too much and think sugar is just fine.

OP - FYI - this thread may not end well. So be prepared.

ETA: It doesn't mean that people are mean...but we see this thread daily. People try to make sugar seem like the devil and it's not. It doesn't make you fat, too much of any food makes you fat. Plus, saying that you're trying to kick it makes it seem like a drug, so Joanne is bound to show up and say it's more addictive than heroin, and another MFP'er I saw today may show up to say it's the same as cocaine, and it's clearly not like either of them.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO thank you.
  • vickyvanderwagt
    Options
    I quit sugar two and a half weeks ago! I wasn't looking to lose weight-just to have more energy and be healthier. I feel soo much better! The first two days are treacherous but after that you feel great. I have already lost three pounds without trying! I also have a lot more energy to run which I'm doing every day now. I highly suggest it and don't give in to sweets! Trust me, it's worth it.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Kicking it would cause a huge mess....sugar crystals everywhere and such......
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I've had two ice cream sandwiches today. They were both yummy and fit nicely into my goal and macros. Why in the world would I ever want to give that up?

0035.gif
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to do this. My whole point is to get to the point where I CAN eat sugar - in moderation, of course. I've been maintaining for six months and am usually lower than my goal. I like the idea that I can occasionally have an ice cream bar or something after I meet my nutritional goals.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    giphy.gif

hey-girl-sugar-cube-thumb.jpg
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    There are so many people talking about cutting sugar these days. I keep thinking, perhaps they are people who eat sugar to excess, so that they are too full to eat protein and fats. Or maybe they have pancreas issues and feel sick because they eat straight sugar on a regular basis. Whatever is is, I do not need to cut sugar. I don't really have a sweet tooth. I could cut out potato Chips I suppose, but most of the time I have some control over them and seem to be able to succeed without omitting them altogether.
  • luvsunshine1
    Options
    So glad to have a couple of more people in this with me. Sorry, this has apparently come up many times before and is such a touchy subject for people. I didn't realize that, just want to see if could get a support group of like minded people together.

Good luck to us. Again, the start day is tomorrow so looking forward to those successful posts tomorrow night.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No way.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Shoot, tomorrow I have a party and will be eating some delicious things that I will work into my calories for the day. Maybe I'll catch you next time.

ETA: Nah, I'm just going to be honest. I know myself. I'm not going to do that. Ya'll go on without me.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    So glad to have a couple of more people in this with me. Sorry, this has apparently come up many times before and is such a touchy subject for people. I didn't realize that, just want to see if could get a support group of like minded people together.

Good luck to us. Again, the start day is tomorrow so looking forward to those successful posts tomorrow night.

I figured you hadn't, that's just why I wanted to warn you. If the thread starts to go down in flames, just try not to get upset/hurt. No one is being rude/mean to you. Lots of people lose and still eat sugar. People don't post in things only for the OP they also post info for lurkers.

Can I ask...do you plan in cutting it out for the rest of your life?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I'm also just gonna leave this right here...not sugar related but awesome links.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I lift heavy. I love lifting heavy. I can eat what I want. I also find that lifting heavy gives me a TON of energy. Especially deadlift day.

No matter what you choose good luck.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't kick sugar. I eat it (in moderation). :smile:

Your best chance at long term success and sustainability is to find a way of eating and exercising that you can stick with for the rest of your life. If you enjoy a diet free of sugar and are meeting your nutritional requirements, more power to you. Good luck! :smile:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Bu that might hurt sugar's feelings :sad:
  • luvsunshine1
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up (get it, crack). Anyway, I am like the person who posted that it is a problem for her and it leads to more sugar, poor eating so I plan to cut it out of my diet and this is week 1 for me.