What's the most difficult stage of weight loss?

So I'm still at the relative beginning of my weight loss journey. I'm a little under 2 months in and down about 15 lbs. I am only set to lose 1 lb per week, but have been losing between 1.5-2 lbs per week. I'm not really afraid of the weight loss slowing down -- which I know it will -- but I am definitely generally anxious about the later stages of weight loss.

Right now, I get 1,750 calories a day. This is actually a recent change -- I was at 1,820 until I recalculated. I generally find it relatively painless to stay within my goal unless I am very sedentary. Even on my "cheat day" (I've only had one -- it was the day I forgot to wear my Fitbit and so I had no idea what my adjusted calorie goal should be and so I decided to give myself some leeway), I still tracked and ate at a deficit (just a smaller deficit than usual). Today I got in a lot of exercise and ate one of the most amazing and gigantic dinners ever and I still have over 400 calories left. So, generally, as long as I can get out for a walk, I can pretty easily stay within my goal and still eat what I want.

So here's my point: Everything is going pretty well. But I know that my calorie goal is going to go down as I lose weight. I know that the number of calories I burn for the same amount of exercise is going to go down as I lose weight. The same restaurant meal will be harder to fit into my calories because it will represent a greater proportion of my allotment. Thus, it's going to get harder to live the same lifestyle that I'm enjoying now.

Or is it?

What was the hardest stage of weight loss for you? I'm so scared of reaching maintenance and having it feel like the most deprived that I've been for the whole journey!

PS-- I did calculate my TDEE for my "goal weight" and it was 1,876 -- so more than my allotment right now, which is good. But right now I'm eating including exercise calories when I go to eat (so, for example, today I've eaten 2034 calories but with exercise, I still have over 400 cal left), and later on down the road I won't get as many exercise calories for the same activities, right? I remember a vlogger I watch sometimes talking about how she needed to go to the gym for 2 hours a day and include 75 min of high intensity cardio everyday -- and she was just maintaining. So I'm guessing that at her lower weight she just has to work super hard to burn enough calories that she can still eat to satisfaction?

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    You are right, as you lose you will get fewer calories to eat. What I found was that my hunger was about the same, so you are eating less but you don't need as much food. I also found that at about 25 pounds loss my energy level started to ramp up, I was more and more motivated to exercise. I felt a need to run and relief when I went to the gym. I guess I am saying that everything seems to balance out so don't freak out. It will get much harder to lose as you reach that last 10-15 pounds, your body wants to keep those desperately--I'm still trying to lose the last 3 pounds!! But, three pounds is more or less there and I am happy with my basic appearance and weight, the last three is just so I can claim victory and achieve that long sought after goal.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    You are right, as you lose you will get fewer calories to eat. What I found was that my hunger was about the same, so you are eating less but you don't need as much food. I also found that at about 25 pounds loss my energy level started to ramp up, I was more and more motivated to exercise. I felt a need to run and relief when I went to the gym. I guess I am saying that everything seems to balance out so don't freak out. It will get much harder to lose as you reach that last 10-15 pounds, your body wants to keep those desperately--I'm still trying to lose the last 3 pounds!! But, three pounds is more or less there and I am happy with my basic appearance and weight, the last three is just so I can claim victory and achieve that long sought after goal.

Thank you!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    im not quite done with my weight loss yet, but the hardest part was the beginning. once i got the ball rolling things went pretty smoothly