Juicing Newbie.... Accepting Recipe Recommendations!

Options
StargazrgirL
StargazrgirL Posts: 8 Member
Hi Everyone!

I bought a juicer after watching the documentary, Fat, Sick and Nearly dead. (Very interesting... check it out on Netflix!) Once I saw it, the point of juicing had a light bulb effect with me. I like veggies and fruits, but to sit and peel, core, chop, or whatever, I would quickly just look to something else instead. I would try to eat healthy when I could, but seem to find myself going out a lot with friends to the bars, pizza joints, etc. (typical, right??) But the idea of juicing just made sense and seemed easy enough.

After watching various "recommendations" from Netflix, I've been looking up a lot of different lifestyles to help really get myself into a change. I've actually gone vegetarian... may possibly still eat fish and seafood, but for now, I'm not. (You can thank the documentaries about fishing and animal processing for that! I loved Chic-Fil-A, hotdogs, shrimp, salmon... now it all just churns my stomach when I smell it or even times just see it). Well, the juicer was also something I really liked because I had a sneaky feeling my husband would like it. It destroys the food that goes into it, makes noise, is shiny... what's not to love?! I knew I had to get him on board for me to have any success. A co-worker went Paleo based on his wife's interest in the Whole 30 challenge and it's changed his life. (marriedtopaleo.com) So I knew the trick was getting us both onto the change. He's not interested in going vegetarian, but he does like the recipes I have made so far. When we do go out, he'll opt for anything meat.

So, I have a juicer, I've done it 2 days in a row so far. The hubby is intrigued and helps make the juice each morning. We are in the experimentation mode for now, but I know if we have a few bad juices day after day, he will lose interest. We watched some demos by Jay Kurdich, "the father of juicing" on YouTube and will be copying. But, I'm open to anyone's experiences and recipes that they have been successful with.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

C

Replies

• SarahBaldwin82
    SarahBaldwin82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hey there!

I just bought my juicer yesterday and I too watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and decided to make a change.

I also picked up the "Juicing Bible" and Joe Cross' book as well which has been really helpful. My advice (and keep in mind I've only made two pots of juice) is I've made my two juices with my favourite fruits and veggies. Seems to be really delicious. I've put cucumber, broccoli, celery, strawberries, apples, kale, spinach. I've also put it on ice which makes it nice and cold :)

The only thing I'm having a hard time with is deciding how to enter it in Fitness Pal. Can anyone help? Do I type in each fruit or veggie and their quantities? Would love to hear your input!

Thanks!
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Juicing gets rid of the fiber and goodness in veggies/fruits, have you tried smoothie making. Smoothies are more filling than juices.
  • StargazrgirL
    Options
    A friend had asked that. But she described it as "a chew in every sip". For now I'm going to juice and at least get some more nutrients in my body that what I've done in the past. I'm sure I will get to that point, but baby steps for me.

I made a juice for breakfast and since my husband was running late for work, I drank it. I was also working from home and made one for lunch as well. I need more variety. I'm drinking the same thing and its getting boring quick. I'm due for a trip to the farmers market tomorrow.
  • StargazrgirL
    Options
    hey there!

I just bought my juicer yesterday and I too watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and decided to make a change.

I also picked up the "Juicing Bible" and Joe Cross' book as well which has been really helpful. My advice (and keep in mind I've only made two pots of juice) is I've made my two juices with my favourite fruits and veggies. Seems to be really delicious. I've put cucumber, broccoli, celery, strawberries, apples, kale, spinach. I've also put it on ice which makes it nice and cold :)

The only thing I'm having a hard time with is deciding how to enter it in Fitness Pal. Can anyone help? Do I type in each fruit or veggie and their quantities? Would love to hear your input!

Thanks!

I'll have to check out the books you suggested. I have a few of the same ingredients and its been good, but I've drank it each time so its getting boring.

I did find that matches for some of the juicing in the database. I typed in what I juiced and I got lucky.

Good luck!!
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    http://www.greenjuiceaday.com/30-green-juice-recipes/

This website has green, heathy juice recipes you can try. You can google a lot more. I wouldn't buy books for recipes since you can just google them. I hope this helps and good luck on your weight loss journey! :smile:
  • acer88
    acer88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started with green apples and carrots. But now I love everything (but cabbage). I often juice kale, a green apple, 1/2 lemon peeled, a small cube of ginger. I also love beet juice- so sweet. Most time I just open the fridge and see what's in there. I LOVE the taste of juice and find it really helpful on mornings I feel I just need a fresh start and juicing ginger always calms my stomach. Enjoy!
  • acer88
    acer88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In response to the person who asked how to enter calories:

Don't remember what it's called (sorry), but there is a website out there that allows you to enter the juice recipe and it will provide the calories. Not sure what the 'science' is behind it - I think they bump out the fiber and calulate remaining calories.
  • blondebritty
    Options
    I really like these:

2 Fuji apples (or one large one) mine have been tiny lately
    1 celery stalk
    1/2 a lemon
    a bunch of spinach ( to your liking)
    Juice all of that
    Blend with 1/2 an avocado

2 Fuji apples (or one large one) mine have been tiny lately
    1 zucchini
    1/2 a lemon
    a bunch of spinach ( to your liking)
    Juice all of that
    1" piece of ginger
    Blend with 1/2 an avocado
  • Maryam4eva
    Maryam4eva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    JM's Super Juice
    ½ lime, peeled
    2 apples, any type except Granny Smiths as they don't juice well
    ½ pineapple
    ½ medium cucumber
    ½ ripe avocado
    1oz fresh wheatgrass or wheatgrass powder
    1 level tsp spirulina
    1 capsule of acidophilus bacteria powder
    Ice cubes
    Juice the apples, pineapple, cucumber and lime. Put the avocado flesh into a blender with the ice, wheatgrass, spirulina and the bacteria powder.
    Blend everything until smooth, pour and enjoy.

JM's Turbo Express
    ½ small pineapple
    ½ stick celery
    1in chunk of cucumber
    1 small handful of spinach leaves
    1 small piece of peeled lime
    2 apples
    ½ ripe avocado
    Ice cubes
    Juice the pineapple, celery, cucumber, spinach, lime and apples. Place the ripe avocado flesh in a blender along with the ice and juice mixture. Blend until smooth.
    Pour into glass and enjoy.
    Enlarge Glasses of fruit and vegetable juice

JM's Boost Juice
    ½ large pineapple
    2 apples
    ½ mug Alfalfa sprouts
    ½ mug watercress
    ½ mug parsley
    ½ mug kale
    ½ mug broccoli
    1oz shot of fresh wheatgrass juice (or 1 tsp wheatgrass powder)
    2 ice cubes
    Juice all the ingredients, then add the wheatgrass shot or teaspoon of wheatgrass powder. Pour into a glass over the ice.
    JM's Super Detox Juice

2 apples
    ½ cucumber
    1 stick celery
    1 small handful of spinach
    Ice cubes
    1 heaped tsp Dr Udo's Beyond Greens supplement (if you don't have this, replace by juicing a handful of mixed green leaves such as watercress, parsley or lettuce).
    Juice the apples, cucumber, celery and spinach. Pour into blender, then add ice and Beyond Greens. Blend for about 1 minute or until smooth. If you use mixed green leaves instead of Beyond Greens, simply juice these along with the other ingredients and then add the ice.
    Passion 4 Juice Master

½ small pineapple
    1 apple
    ½ banana
    200g natural organic yoghurt (if you're a vegan, use soya yoghurt)
    ½ tsp spirulina
    Juice the pineapple and apple and pour into blender or smoothie-maker with the banana, yoghurt and spirulina. Blend until smooth. If you don't like yoghurt (dairy or otherwise), use half a small pineapple instead.
    JM's Homemade Sherbet Lemonade
    2 Golden Delicious apples
    1/3 lemon, wax-free and with the rind on
    2 ice cubes
    Simply juice the apples and lemon and pour over ice - it really does taste like sherbet lemonade.

JM's Hot ' n' Spicy
    3 apples
    1 good pinch of cinnamon
    Juice the apples and pour juice into a saucepan. Slowly heat but do not boil. When nice and hot, pour into a mug, add cinnamon and serve.
    Enlarge Grapefruit juice and fruit
    JM's Lemon / Ginger Zinger

2 carrots
    2 apples
    1in slice of lemon, wax-free, with rind left on
    ½ in of fresh ginger
    2 ice cubes
    This wonderful juice is a favourite of the super-fit Martina Navratilova, winner of 58 grand slam tennis tournaments. Simply juice all ingredients and pour into a glass over ice.
    JM's Pure Green Super Juice

2 sticks of celery
    ½ medium cucumber
    1oz shot of fresh wheatgrass juice or 1 tsp of wheatgrass powder
    1 slice of orange
    2 ice cubes
    Juice the celery, cucumber, spinach and wheatgrass. Add ice to a glass and pour in the pure green super juice. After each mouthful, take a bite of the orange.

JM's Super Chute Juice
    2 apples
    A small chunk of carrot
    ½ stick celery
    1 large handful of mixed green leaves - watercress, kale, parsley, spinach or whatever other green leafy vegetables are available
    1 in chunk of cucumber
    ½ in broccoli stem
    1 small handful Alfalfa sprouts
    ½ in slice unpeeled raw beetroot
    ½ in slice courgette
    1 small piece of lemon, preferably wax-free, with rind on
    ½ in slice ginger
    2 ice cubes
    Juice all the ingredients. If you have a Philips whole-fruit juicer, all you need to do is place one whole apple in the chute followed by all the other ingredients, finishing off with the other apple.
    If you have a different type of juicer, feed in all the ingredients chopped into whatever size the machine will take. Pour over ice and enjoy.

Natural teas
    Pour hot water over chunks of fresh fennel, lemon, lime or mint leaves for a cup of whichever tea you fancy. Fresh teas play a vital role in your 7lbs in 7 Days programme because they help to get the digestion going in the morning and to calm it at night.
    Don't fully boil the water as it can deplete the vitamin content of your drink.
    The water should be hot, but not boiling
  • cmiyashi56
    cmiyashi56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Carrot Pinapple 6-8 carrots to a pineapple, if its too sweet I just add a few more carrots. I make this for my family so you may want to half it.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For an afternoon zing.....I like a gala apple with ginger juiced. Use as much ginger as your taste buds can handle, then top of with club soda. Yummy. Tastes like ginger beer:)

off*
  • StargazrgirL
    Options
    JM's Super Juice
    ½ lime, peeled
    ½ pineapple
    ½ medium cucumber
    ½ ripe avocado
    1 level tsp spirulina
    Ice cubes
    Juice the apples, pineapple, cucumber and lime. Put the avocado flesh into a blender with the ice, wheatgrass, spirulina and the bacteria powder.

JM's Turbo Express
    ½ small pineapple
    ½ stick celery
    1in chunk of cucumber
    2 apples
    ½ ripe avocado
    Ice cubes
    Juice the pineapple, celery, cucumber, spinach, lime and apples. Place the ripe avocado flesh in a blender along with the ice and juice mixture. Blend until smooth.

JM's Boost Juice
    ½ large pineapple
    2 apples
    ½ mug Alfalfa sprouts
    ½ mug watercress
    ½ mug parsley
    ½ mug kale
    ½ mug broccoli
    2 ice cubes
    Juice all the ingredients, then add the wheatgrass shot or teaspoon of wheatgrass powder. Pour into a glass over the ice.
    JM's Super Detox Juice

2 apples
    ½ cucumber
    1 stick celery
    Ice cubes
    1 heaped tsp Dr Udo's Beyond Greens supplement (if you don't have this, replace by juicing a handful of mixed green leaves such as watercress, parsley or lettuce).
    Juice the apples, cucumber, celery and spinach. Pour into blender, then add ice and Beyond Greens. Blend for about 1 minute or until smooth. If you use mixed green leaves instead of Beyond Greens, simply juice these along with the other ingredients and then add the ice.
    Passion 4 Juice Master

½ small pineapple
    1 apple
    ½ banana
    ½ tsp spirulina
    Juice the pineapple and apple and pour into blender or smoothie-maker with the banana, yoghurt and spirulina. Blend until smooth. If you don't like yoghurt (dairy or otherwise), use half a small pineapple instead.
    2 ice cubes
    Simply juice the apples and lemon and pour over ice - it really does taste like sherbet lemonade.

JM's Hot ' n' Spicy
    3 apples
    1 good pinch of cinnamon
    Juice the apples and pour juice into a saucepan. Slowly heat but do not boil. When nice and hot, pour into a mug, add cinnamon and serve.

2 carrots
    2 apples
    ½ in of fresh ginger
    2 ice cubes
    This wonderful juice is a favourite of the super-fit Martina Navratilova, winner of 58 grand slam tennis tournaments. Simply juice all ingredients and pour into a glass over ice.

2 sticks of celery
    ½ medium cucumber
    1 slice of orange
    2 ice cubes
    Juice the celery, cucumber, spinach and wheatgrass. Add ice to a glass and pour in the pure green super juice. After each mouthful, take a bite of the orange.

JM's Super Chute Juice
    2 apples
    A small chunk of carrot
    ½ stick celery
    1 large handful of mixed green leaves - watercress, kale, parsley, spinach or whatever other green leafy vegetables are available
    1 in chunk of cucumber
    ½ in broccoli stem
    ½ in slice courgette
    ½ in slice ginger
    2 ice cubes
    Juice all the ingredients. If you have a Philips whole-fruit juicer, all you need to do is place one whole apple in the chute followed by all the other ingredients, finishing off with the other apple.
    If you have a different type of juicer, feed in all the ingredients chopped into whatever size the machine will take. Pour over ice and enjoy.

Natural teas
    Pour hot water over chunks of fresh fennel, lemon, lime or mint leaves for a cup of whichever tea you fancy. Fresh teas play a vital role in your 7lbs in 7 Days programme because they help to get the digestion going in the morning and to calm it at night.

This is so informative!! Thank you..
  • symplydevine
    Options
    I'm not an avid juicer, but I do have a favorite that I like to call Blackberry Bam-a-lam! =] I drink this about twice a week maybe. It makes about a pint...I know cause I use my Talenti Gelato jars for storage...LOL!

1 pint of blackberries
    2 small pears or one large
    black seedless grapes
    2 pink lady apples....if you dont have pink lady apples, just use what you have but add in the juice of half a lemon
    You can add veggies into this if you like, I usually add in kale

Enjoy and good luck to you on your juicing journey!
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer last year but never found any nice recipes, I'll give some of these ago :drinker:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes. Who would have thought that I'd ever give a crap about sharing recipes?
  • Maryam4eva
    Maryam4eva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    JM's Super Juice
    ½ lime, peeled
    ½ pineapple
    ½ medium cucumber
    ½ ripe avocado
    1 level tsp spirulina
    Ice cubes

JM's Turbo Express
    ½ small pineapple
    ½ stick celery
    1in chunk of cucumber
    2 apples
    ½ ripe avocado
    Ice cubes

JM's Boost Juice
    ½ large pineapple
    2 apples
    ½ mug Alfalfa sprouts
    ½ mug watercress
    ½ mug parsley
    ½ mug kale
    ½ mug broccoli
    2 ice cubes
    JM's Super Detox Juice

2 apples
    ½ cucumber
    1 stick celery
    Ice cubes
    Passion 4 Juice Master

½ small pineapple
    1 apple
    ½ banana
    ½ tsp spirulina
    2 ice cubes

JM's Hot ' n' Spicy
    3 apples
    1 good pinch of cinnamon

2 carrots
    2 apples
    ½ in of fresh ginger
    2 ice cubes

2 sticks of celery
    ½ medium cucumber
    1 slice of orange
    2 ice cubes

JM's Super Chute Juice
    2 apples
    A small chunk of carrot
    ½ stick celery
    1 in chunk of cucumber
    ½ in broccoli stem
    ½ in slice courgette
    ½ in slice ginger
    2 ice cubes

Natural teas

This is so informative!! Thank you..
    No problem darling:smile: