how long til I see results from running?

Options
Between all the lingo I've learned, my new watch and the countless issues of "Runner's World" I've read, it feels like I've been jogging forever. In reality it has been 4 1/2 weeks. I'm just wondering how long til I start to see muscles, improve my cardiovascular endurance, etc. I do enjoy it, but would enjoy it more if: a) I were a few lbs lighter b) I didn't huff and puff so much

With jogging as my main exercise about 4x/wk (I need to be better about cross training) I'm 'down' about 3-4 lbs, given the day, but I'm hoping there will be some magical major drop at week 6 or 12 or something...? :ohwell:

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue where I was running and running and got frustrated because didn't see much improvement in either my muscles or my endurance. Someone gave me the advice to vary my workout and add interval training to every 2nd or 3rd workout. After 2 rounds of intervals, I really noticed an improvement in my endurance - the same distance I was doing before felt a lot easier and I wasn't huffing and puffing as much. I'm also curious to know what other people think about this - what did you do to see results?
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I think you definitely need to vary your running workouts. Do some a bit longer, some a bit faster, add in some hills. Where I train, we always add in a longer run where you run slow and every 10 minutes you walk for a minute...this really allows you to build up longer runs and give you more confidence. Whatever mileage you are doing now, just add in ten percent to your longest run once/week. Every week add in an additional ten percent to that dedicated long run and if you take the walk breaks it will help you run further. A 10 percent increase each week will help keep you injury free.
    I have always found that my shorter runs are harder as you tend to do them faster but if you start doing some a bit longer and slower then it feels so much easier and it is amazing to be able to do longer distances without being exhausted.
    You'll definitely lose weight, just keep tracking your calories. I didn't track over the summer and ate whatever I wanted (including ice cream every night!) and didn't gain a thing. After my race I took two weeks off running and continued to eat the same and gained 6 pounds!