Bench Press without a bench?

Options
Jen800
Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
I'm about to begin Stronglifts 5x5 and finally have almost all the equipment I need. However, right now I don't have a bench. I know, i know, look on craigslist etc, but there isn't any for sale in my price range right now and close to where I live.

So, what I'm asking is if it is okay to do them on the floor, or if anybody has any good ideas for makeshift benches until I can get a real one. Thanks!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    That is called a floor press.

Pros:
    more tricep dominant
    can't cheat ROM

Cons:
    less chest activation
    less total ROM (no pec stretch)

Pro & Con: (depending)
    no leg drive

You may need someone to train with you if you are pushing to failure depending on the size of plates and your size.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'd be me comfortable using dumbbells instead of a barbell if I was forced to do floor presses
  • james1299
    james1299 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd just do hard push ups until you can get a bench, pyramid push ups for example.
    To bench properly you need the bar to touch your chest and you need to be able to rack the thing if you get in trouble (or the roll of shame)
    If you are the inventive type and not going heavy you might try laying on a bed with an armless stool next to it that you can dig your shoulders into.
    Priority 1, get a bench.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    As commented, floor press can still do wonders here at the start.

For the other good concerns mentioned, got some hard bound books?

Bar safety catch with stacked books, correct height and placement to lower bar to. Remember your arms will tilt forward to that stack if you have failed, don't put them right under the bar where it will correctly be to do the press, your elbows hitting the floor are that safety catch. You need somewhere to put the bar to get hips out. Do NOT tilt toward the neck.

Couple chairs that you confirmed won't tilt over can be used for starting the bar higher so you lower first. So what if you have to put the plates on first and then lift it in to place.

Also, got a hand saw and an old 12" wide shelf board that is 48" long, and scrape 2 x 4's?
    You only need about 4-6 inches off the floor depending on arm segment lengths, and legs under your shoulders and butt, and head and end of the board.
    Still can't leg drive, but hey, getting ROM then.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you fail a floor press you "should" be able to just let it go forward onto stomach and wiggle out. I've done that a couple of times :tongue:

Supplement with some sort of fly movement for a full stretched pec exercise.

Or buy a bench :smile:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Get some kind of box or block. Preferably with a lip to keep it from rolling off. If all you have is the box then some rolled up towels on each side should keep it on there.

http://www.usawa.com/USAWA Uploads/2012/12/floorpress.jpg
    http://www.usawa.com/USAWA Uploads/2013/02/McIntyre-FloorPress.jpg

I have seen some pic of guys using car jack stands but that is a pretty small bar catch.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can get a bench for $50 (and above), delivered, from Amazon.com (in the USA). About four years ago, that is how I got mine.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Floor press is a very good accessory exercise that helps those who are weaker in the middle-top of the accent. It will help with gains if used with flat among the other accessories to BP. I personally wouldn't use it solely as a main lift.

Main thing is bar placement on your hands and to control the slow decent with forearms perpendicular to floor and pause for a second or two on elbows before lifting.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your replies everybody. I'[ll put all of your comments into consideration!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bench. I do chest presses with dumbbells and a stability ball.