Does this new season make my butt look big?

Options
Ladies and gentlemen WINTER is going to make me fat. I've been so diligent with my workouts, right up until we had our first snowfall and it was a major one. Its so icy and cold outside and all I can do is stay indoors. I'm a Canadian who hates winters and to make matters worse I married an American from southern California. This is his first winter and the poor guy is in the thick of it and is not fond of leaving the house if its not necessary. Unfortunately our living space is too small to accommodate home workouts like P90X and the like so I'm concerned about what this lonnnnng winter season is going to do to us! Eek!

Replies

• schro151
    schro151 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ick. I don't blame you for the worry! Whenever the weather keeps me from going on my walks or jogging, I do yoga in my room following DVDs that I have. It's not high impact, so it won't burn as many calories as running or aerobics, but it's easier to do in smaller spaces because you're not flailing around everywhere. And at least you'd be getting SOME sort of workout.
  • lexicon28
    Options
    awww I feel ya on the winter thing... winter= christmas which= hot chocolate, cakes, food coming out of every corner of the house. :P and it's cold so who wants to leave the cozy couch and blankets? lol I'm not from Canada, I'm from Florida but even here it seems unbearable.. i can't even imagine what it's like up there lol I had a boyfriend from the Thunder Bay area of Canada and he would show me pictures of the winters and would tell me stories.. yikes.. good luck :) um my only suggestion i'd say is I use the Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones dvd. It has seemed to help so far and it is most certainly not anywhere close to P90X definitely not as intense but it seemed to have helped and the good thing about it is you don't have to leave the warmth of the house.. plus it definitely gets the heart rate up and makes ya break a sweat :)
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    You can get the walk at home dvd's. I have one and I can do like 4-5 miles in my own living room and it does not need much room at all (mainly you walk in place or like 4 up and 4 back). It also came with a resistant band for the last mile to do some resistant training.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm in canada too and also hating the fact that winter's coming. I hate snow. I hate being cold. And I also live in a small house. I use a lot of dvds like Jillian's yoga meltdown and the 30 day shred. they don't require much room. Even her shred it with weights is good. Just really need enough room to swing your arms without hitting anything. Do you have a wii? that's a great way to keep active in the winter. And your man can play too :) Also don't forget shoveling the blasted snow.. :laugh: I hate doing it but it all counts as calories burnt
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    You must be from SK like me! I have taken to doing the 30 Day Shred in my living room for the last week and a half. It's too cold to go out and walk anymore! (Though I make my kids walk to school most mornings!) Maybe a work out video will help.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    the Jillian Michaels workouts are effective and dont' take any room, not hardly any at all :) I suggest doing those when you can't get outside :)
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bundle up, go outside and make a snowman! Not only is it fun, its one heck of a workout! lol Grab a set of snowshoes, or go cross country skiing! I love winter because I get to mix up the sports! I can't wait to strap on my new snowboard! Maybe I'm the only crazy out there, but I love winter!
  • sarrah2903
    Options
    How about purchasing a mini stepper. You can store it in a corner or your wardrobe and just whip it out for a work out in front of your tv or in your room.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    ::shiver:: I hate the snow... :grumble:

Alabama winters are cold ENOUGH. I lived in Rochester, NY from July 1994- February 1995. That was 7 months TOO long.

I suppose moving isn't an option? :ohwell:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Bundle up, go outside and make a snowman! Not only is it fun, its one heck of a workout! lol Grab a set of snowshoes, or go cross country skiing! I love winter because I get to mix up the sports! I can't wait to strap on my new snowboard! Maybe I'm the only crazy out there, but I love winter!

I miss the winter now that I live in the south. There are just so much that can be done out in the snow, snow shoeing, cross country sking, tubing, down hill sking, building forts, snow ball fights, snowmen. Can you get a gym membership though it's always warm at the gym :)
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Take up skiing!!!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    how can you possibly continue to live in Canada hating snow and married to a SoCal guy :D ??? There are lots of dvd options, like P90X style programs that take up very little space indoors and are effective :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    When I am at work and have limited space, I do intervals of jumping jacks and jogging in place. It doesn't take a lot of room to do and it really gets my heart going. For higher intensities, do longer intervals of jumping jacks or stride jumps (legs back and forth while jumping up) The first time I did 35 minutes, and could barely walk for 3 days (sore calves, hips and shoulders.) :laugh:

BTW, I live in Alberta, Canada and I am dreading the winter too. But I am already planning to buy snowshoes and make that my winter workout!
  • MrsUnderwood
    Options
    how can you possibly continue to live in Canada hating snow and married to a SoCal guy :D ??? There are lots of dvd options, like P90X style programs that take up very little space indoors and are effective :)
    Trust me ,we'll be moving back down to SoCal!!! I just have always hated cold weather and I'm living in the worst place for it lol.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    some ideas....workout dvds, hand weights, squats, lunges, situps, pushups, wii, gym membership or the ymca, learn how to ski or snow shoe!! lol

there are always options!! just be diligent and you will find something to do!!! good luck!!