new here, looking for support

Options
Hello everyone. I'm Rodi, 29 years, married mother of 2. I am a type 2 diabetic, and need as much help as I can get with tips, advice, whatever on meal planning to help me lose weight, and manage my blood sugar levels. I had a drs appointment today, and my doctor directed me to this website. He said he lost 30 lbs himself with this website alone. He also assured me that if I lose weight, and get down to a healthy weight, I will get off my medications for diabetes. That is enough motivation I need to lose weight. I've been a member of a gym for 3 month, and have recently been going to aerobics classes 3 times a week for an hour and have not seen a pound lost. I do feel my snug clothing fit loose now, so I guess something is working. LOL. I need help, I need tips, not only for me, but for my family. My husband, who's a big guy and trying to lose weight as well, but also for my kids, I want to teach them to make healthy food choices, and not be a fat kid all their life like I grew up to be. Thanks.

Replies

• mommy2poozer
    Options
    hello,

I read your post and you story is so familiar. I too was diagnosed yesterday with type 2 diabetic. The dr wanted to put me on medication but agreed to let me try to get my numbers down within six week. So today I started my new journey. Yesterday I had a pity party and then I got up dusted myself off and now I am on a journey to learn the ins and outs of this disease. I have 3 kids who, if I continue on will follow in my footstep that alone is enough motivation for me to do better with my food choices. I just wanted to respond and tell you I know you can do it. It will just take some time and major adjustments. Good Luck. I look forward to taking this journey with you and know you are not alone.
  • ameri_web
    Options
    Welcome Rodi!

I too am new here and found this website from my brother who has lost over 150 lbs so far using this website. I was recently diagnosed with Type II and found that taking medicine for the rest of my life was not going to work for me. I have already lost 9 lbs and its only my second week. You too will see results. Just keep in mind that this is not just a diet but a lifestyle change. You can do it! Feel free to add me as we can both trade advice about Diabetes and hope to one day be medicine free! :smile:
  • ryanez1980
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome girlies. It's great to know that I am not alone. I've struggled my whole life with my weight, yo-yo diets, weight fluctuating, but I know we can do this. Wow, 9 lbs in 2 weeks, that is awesome.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Ryanez. You're going to love using MFP to help with your meal planning and your Diabetes. It takes a few weeks reading the boards, and tracking your foods and exercises before you get fully into the swing of this site. Make certain that you are tracking your sugar, fat, carbs. Type II Diabetics have to track these nutrients - as well as calories. If they are not set up on your computer, make the changes. You will love it here! Add friends as you go along. There is a huge International community here all helping each other every step of the way. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like.