Super tired

Options
I've noticed over the last few weeks that my energy level has been fairly low. Somedays I'll sleep ten to twelve hours and still feel tired. For the most part, I've been eating well. Trying to have a small, healthy snack (a piece of fruit, or a hardboiled egg) every few hours and eating reasonable meals. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my progress over the last few months, I'm just tired of being tired. Has anyone else been feeling this way?

Replies

• jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time I go to bed I can NOT get out of bed before 7 am. It's normally like 7:18 and I have to get my kids up and fed, dressed, and ready to go to school by 7:45. UGH.
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you under a lot of stress? Everyone deals with stress differently. I get crazy tired when I am stressed out. My body just shuts down and I want to sleep all the time!! I'm not going through that right now but I am very familiar with that feeling. It stinks!!
  • ThePhatMan
    Options
    I feel like that too. I just bought B12 vitamins. I hope they work. Good Luck
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It could be that you sleep too much. At some point I think your body just gets used to being in the sleep state? I'm not sure but I know I used to have that problem. You might need to drink more water as well. I think I read somewhere that a lack of water makes you tired? Not really sure on that. Might wanna double check.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked. I used to be exhausted all the time, even would fall asleep at work. Found out I had hypothyroidism. Ask your doctor to check your TSH levels.
  • sjaudio
    sjaudio Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you for your quick replies. This is a pretty recent thing (the last few weeks). I do drink plenty of water (at a minimum, 8 large glasses a day). I don't think I'm under any more stress than normal. I work freelance, and the days when I've had to be up early, I didn't have much trouble (I even had a fine energy level on those days). I do take a multivitamin, but maybe I need to take more. When I'm at the gym, I'll workout anywhere from two to three hours (no danger of falling asleep). It's just when I'm at home, I feel super sluggish.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I get it too and I've found that most of the time it's because something's out of wack in my diet. I either am not eating enough (i.e. burning a bajillion cals at the gym and then only eating 1200 total for the day a few days in a row) or I'm vitamin defficient somewhere. (low iron, lacking some of those precious B's something like that.) I can usually look back at my diary report and figure it out. If you're working out heavily you should be eating 100g + of protien/day on those days that will help keep your energy up and then feed it lots of good complex carbs to burn for energy. If that doesn't work try a good multi-vitamin and if that doesn't work go see a doc.

Just a heads up too if you're looking for a quick pick me up- eat an apple. They're known to work longer and faster than a cup of coffee. For us caffiene immune Washingtonians the apple is a great choice.

Good luck to ya and congrats on the loss!
    :drinker:
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I get it too and I've found that most of the time it's because something's out of wack in my diet. I either am not eating enough (i.e. burning a bajillion cals at the gym and then only eating 1200 total for the day a few days in a row) or I'm vitamin defficient somewhere. (low iron, lacking some of those precious B's something like that.) I can usually look back at my diary report and figure it out. If you're working out heavily you should be eating 100g + of protien/day on those days that will help keep your energy up and then feed it lots of good complex carbs to burn for energy. If that doesn't work try a good multi-vitamin and if that doesn't work go see a doc.

Just a heads up too if you're looking for a quick pick me up- eat an apple. They're known to work longer and faster than a cup of coffee. For us caffiene immune Washingtonians the apple is a great choice.

Good luck to ya and congrats on the loss!
    :drinker:

I had this exact same problem a few weeks back. I felt like *kitten*. I would get to the gym and feel like dying and the next day I would want to sleep 10-12 hours if not more. I felt weak and tired all the time. I upped my cals by 200, started to eat 1/2 to 2/3 of my work out cals and made sure I was eating more then enough protein and carbs. 40/40/20 so for me I was taking in about 200grams of carbs and good clean ones as well as 200grams of protein. Trust me make sure you are eating enough of both and for god sake please tell me you are not going on the default setting on here for carbs because then you are living strictly on carbs and depriving the body of protein.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    We talked about this today in the metabolism class we have at my gym. Lot's of big medical words were thrown around but what I took out of it is that stress and lack of sleep causes the adrenal glands(on top of the kidneys) to produce cortisol(aka the stress hormone). Cortisol is needed in small amounts(quick bursts of andreline) and if you get to much it can cause the body to become glucose intolerent. Because the adrenal glands work with the pancreas and the thyroid in a team effect that when the cortisol is higher then normal it also causes a higher amount of estrogen to be produced(in both men and women) which causes man boobs and the dreaded muffin top in the mid section.

Caveat: I just learned this a few hours ago and most likely screwing some of it up... but thats the gist of it.

Ryan
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Could there be something in your house that has changed in the last few weeks? eg Do you have the heating on more?

Other things worth considering: Have you been ill recently with a virus or infection? You could still be suffering the after effects if so. Are you getting enough Vitamin D and B vitamins? Are you getting too much or not enough iron?

If this excessive tiredness has come on without any change in your diet or life that you can think of, I'd suggest you go and talk to your doctor. He/She may recommend having some blood test done.