Was getting a little obsessive…

Options
I’ve mentioned that I’m a recovering food addict. I’m ALSO a recovering ‘over-exerciser-under-eater’. Frequently these two devils (the ‘Permitter’ and the ‘Restrictor’) reside in the same individual. I am not unique in this regard.

My ‘Restrictor’ rears her ugly head in many ways, but most recently I noticed that my exercise was getting a little, shall we say, intense. I tried to convince myself that I was just ‘giving it my all’, but I was clearly over-exercising (to the point of injury).

Yesterday I experienced shooting pains in my legs while sitting at my desk. After I made an appointment with my chiropractor, I wondered how I was going to hit that evening’s aerobics class at my usual 150%. The answer was simple and clear: I wasn’t.

Then I start panicking. I had UNREALISTICALLY convinced myself that missing ONE workout or even (GASP!!!) taking it easy during a workout would lead to a complete derailment of my fitness train.

This is faulty logic (comical, actually) and not in line at ALL with my determination to be non-obsessive about diet and exercise.

So I went to class last night but did not do any jumping (i.e.: no high impact). Guess what? I still sweat like a beast, got a great workout in AND didn’t injure myself further.

The moral of my story: EVERY workout does not need to test me as a human being. I can have a ‘decent’ workout and still reap the benefits. I do not need to be obsessive about exercise.

Charmagne

Replies

• CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Two Thumbs Up! :P
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Great Realization and break through!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Once again, completely helpful and realistic. I am at EXACTLY the same place as I have consistently over done it with kickboxing and now my knee is outta whack and *GASP* i have to take a break from that for a while. But it will be ok, I will survive, and this fitness and health train is NOT derailing.
    Thank you so much for echoing what I am in the middle of learning!!!
  • tanias11
    Options
    i am a workout addict! ugh it jus so hard not to go. i go almost everyday maybe missing one or two days at the MOST . i just feel if i wanna lost weight i have to hit the gym. i go in there already set i HAVE to burn at least 600 - 800 calories. but i cant stop bc i wanna lose weight! like mon i did the 30 day shred which killed me! and was so sore up until today fri! but although i was so sore i still went to the gym all week even that monday when i should have stayed home and jus rested. i workout a lot and i know it but i cant get myself to just stay home and relax. i just feel like the weight is coming back every breath i take ha.
    but we'll see. i am taking a rest this weekend as i will be in PA. although i should be going to the gym even more bc im going to my in laws in PA. but thats just my OCD talking ha
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    totally know how you feel. i am always worried about how long i will be able to work out in the day. if i have a long work day i get upset that i wont be able to work out as long as usual. sick of being obsessed
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    Awesome break through!