Eating Healthy

casonyamc
casonyamc Posts: 19
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
As I started on this site about a month ago, I was all about trying to eat right. I even gave up the sugary drinks and bought healthy snacks. What I discovered is that eating healthy costs money and I'm a very picky eater. Most of the things that are good for me, I don't like. I did a lot of research on what foods are good to eat for different sources; such as carbohydrates, protein, and good fats, but found out that most of the things on the list are not my most favorite things. I eat nuts but I feel like I have to have chocolate on them. Is chocolate something that I can eat? How can I eat healthy on a low-budget income? It sometimes makes me just eat what I want and just burn it off in my workout. I do exercise at least 3-4 days a week doing zumba, aerobics, and/or line dancing, but I'm having trouble with what I should and should not eat. I have lost a couple of pounds but I'm not losing my 1lb/week. I do lose, eventually. It gets very frustrating. I thought that losing 1lb/week would be easy but I'm learning the hard way. Although I don't see too much change in my weight week to week, I think that I'm probably losing inches. People tend to tell me that they can tell that I've lost weight but all I cna think about is the scale. I sometimes think that they just tell me that to make me feel good. I have also been reading a lot about low-fat, low sodium, no calorie foods are just as bad as the regular food. I told myself that I would just eat the regular food, but just eat my portions instead. Is this a good idea?

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    The biggest change I made and saw drastic results was not eating processed foods. You don't have to spend a lot of money to eat healthy. Although, if your picky because you don't like healthy foods, then that is another issue you will have to overcome. There are some "healthy" foods that I don't eat and don't like. However, I do like fruits, vegetables and meat. I don't eat frozen dinners, boxed foods, etc. And if I can't read the ingredient, then I don't buy it.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Eating healthy can be expensive but it doesn't have to be. Veggies are not calorie dense for the most part, super healthy, and cheap. If you make your veggies the biggest portion of your meal/snack, you'll be satiated and spend less money as well. I'm not a picky eater by any stretch so I can't really help there. But try to eat foods with as little processing as possible, so all that low fat, low cal, low sodium crap is not always good you are right, unless it's naturally that way. If it's in a box and at eye level at the supermarket you probably should turn around and go back to the fresh produce section. Also, bump your workouts up. Try 5-6 days a week.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Honestly, I don't find eating healthy to be any more expensive than eating "unhealthy". Quite the contrary,
    pre-packaged food/convenience food is a lot more expensive. I'd say the fact that you're a picky eater is contributing to the expense of your menu choices. Having a diverse palate goes a long way. Buying in bulk is a great way to save money; beans, nuts, rice for example. Just the other night, I made a polenta pizza that could've fed 5 people, for about $8. We had leftovers for lunch the next day. Also, having a well stocked pantry helps (spices, oils, condiments, etc). Simplicity is key when it comes to preparing whole/nutritious/delicious food.

You may be suprised at how your palate changes once you've really committed to eating well. Sure, who doesn't love chocolate covered nuts and you may feel you need to eat them that way, but it's just a feeling. You can overcome it and "plain" nuts taste pretty good. Chocolate should be enjoyed, like everything else, moderation is key. You don't want to feel deprived,do you?
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    I have found that portion control is definitly important. I have days where I tend not to eat as healthy as I should, but I do try very hard to make sure I look to see what is considered a single serving and stick to eating only that amount. I have found that just increasing the amount of fruit whether fresh or canned in water or light syrup help keep me full. Also increasing the amount of vegetables I eat whether fresh or frozen.

Do try the portion control and changing the amount of calories you eat every day. Changing the amount of calories you eat every day has a tendency to fool your metabolism. Hope this info helps.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Eating healthy can be expensive, especially if you eat "clean"...I don't eat processed or artificially colored/flavored/modified foods, and I use real butter and sugar versus chemicals. I agree with mzener, eat a lot of veggies (if you don't get fresh use frozen not canned), and same with fruits. I LOVE nuts and nut butters, and I chocolate is ok if you pay attention to the other ingredients and get a quality kind (and of course eat it in moderation). As for the pickyness, some of those things might not be your favorite because you have been conditioned against them by previous eating habits, or haven't had them prepared in a way you like yet. I'm a very picky eater, but I found once I let myself experiment there is a plethora of foods out there that are healthy and tasty! Try different kinds of spices, heirloom grains versus rice/pasta, and one thing that I love as a way to cut calories/fat is I make a lot of soups/stews.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I buy "in season" fruits and vegetables. You know they are in seaon because they are the one's that are on sale. With that being said you also know they are the freshest!! I clip coupons for frozen vegetables then use them when they are also on sale. I have found by not buying the processsed stuff or going out to eat but only once or twice a month I'm still spending the same amount and eating much healthier. As far as the weight coming off it will come, it takes awhile for your body to adjust and things to really start moving. I have the best results by eating 5 or 6 300 calories meals a day, 6 on hard workout days otherwise I stick with 5 this keeps your metabolism burning all day long. I have lost 80 lbs over the course of 2 years. It is not an easy journey so do not get disappointed be rest assured that you are making positive healthy changes. I saw that you do quite a bit of cardio but do you do any weight training? Lifting weights and building muscle is essential to weight loss, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn!!!!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    We eat clean and I find that I am spending less than if we were eating out all of the time. Try looking into Tosca Reno's book "The Eat-Clean Diet". You can probably check it out from your local library, if you don't have room to buy it in your budget. It will give you some very good information on how to eat better and has some simple recipes. We also subscribe to Clean Eating magazine (you can pick one up off of the rack in your grocery store, Target or Walmart) and have made many, many of our meals from recipes found in the magazines and have loved them all.

With regard to not losing - if you are eating bad then exercising to make up for it, then you aren't going to make any progress because you are exercising just to cancel out your bad eating choice, so you aren't getting ahead. Check out this excerpt from www.dietsinreview.com:

You Can Not ‘out exercise’ a Bad Diet.

Exercise does not give you permission to eat whatever you want, and slashing calories doesn’t mean you don’t have to work out. Despite the calories in, calories out relationship essential to weight loss, they are not opposites; they, in fact, work together. Calories are fuel to get you through your workout, your workout is not a way to get rid of the food you eat.

Most people overestimate how many calories they burn and underestimate how many calories they eat.

A good, intense 30 minute cardio session will burn around 250 calories. That burger you just had? Upwards of 1,000 calories. That means you’d have to hit the treadmill for two solid hours just to cancel out that indulgence. Those two hours will do nothing to get you towards your goals, because you are just trying to get back to where you were before that dinner.

Worth it? No.

Constantly playing the math game of indulgence and punishment will not only have you fighting to keep your head above water, it gives a negative connotation to both diet and exercise. Exercise is not a punishment for eating, and your food choices should be based on what is going to give you the best nutritional bang for your buck and provide your body the nutrients it needs to perform its best during your

[Excerpted from www.dietsinreview.com]

I think that sums it up pretty well.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member

Specifically, here's some great starters...

Four Tips to Start Eating Healthy for Less Today

1. Listen to Gandhi. Yes, Gandhi! He said that we should never mistake what is habitual for what is natural. Case in point: Some Chinese are very poor and yet they eat extremely well--small amounts of animal protein, with an abundance of vegetables.

2. Be willing to learn. We have to learn new ways of shopping and eating, new ways of ordering our priorities around our health and nutrition that supports our well-being, even if it is hard at the beginning.

3. Do your research. There are ways to find cheaper sources of produce, whole grains, beans, nuts, and lean animal protein. You just need to seek them out. It doesn't all have to be organic. Simply switching from processed foods to whole foods is a HUGE step in the right direction.

4. Make an effort. Eating healthy does take more planning. It may require you to find new places to hunt and gather for your family. You might have to reorder your priorities regarding where you spend your money and your time so that you can make healthier eating choices.

Remember, eating healthy foods without spending a lot is possible--and you can do it.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

Specifically, here's some great starters...

Four Tips to Start Eating Healthy for Less Today

1. Listen to Gandhi. Yes, Gandhi! He said that we should never mistake what is habitual for what is natural. Case in point: Some Chinese are very poor and yet they eat extremely well--small amounts of animal protein, with an abundance of vegetables.

2. Be willing to learn. We have to learn new ways of shopping and eating, new ways of ordering our priorities around our health and nutrition that supports our well-being, even if it is hard at the beginning.

3. Do your research. There are ways to find cheaper sources of produce, whole grains, beans, nuts, and lean animal protein. You just need to seek them out. It doesn't all have to be organic. Simply switching from processed foods to whole foods is a HUGE step in the right direction.

4. Make an effort. Eating healthy does take more planning. It may require you to find new places to hunt and gather for your family. You might have to reorder your priorities regarding where you spend your money and your time so that you can make healthier eating choices.

Remember, eating healthy foods without spending a lot is possible--and you can do it.
    good points:flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Honestly, I don't find eating healthy to be any more expensive than eating "unhealthy". Quite the contrary,
    pre-packaged food/convenience food is a lot more expensive. I'd say the fact that you're a picky eater is contributing to the expense of your menu choices. Having a diverse palate goes a long way. Buying in bulk is a great way to save money; beans, nuts, rice for example. Just the other night, I made a polenta pizza that could've fed 5 people, for about $8. We had leftovers for lunch the next day. Also, having a well stocked pantry helps (spices, oils, condiments, etc). Simplicity is key when it comes to preparing whole/nutritious/delicious food.

You may be suprised at how your palate changes once you've really committed to eating well. Sure, who doesn't love chocolate covered nuts and you may feel you need to eat them that way, but it's just a feeling. You can overcome it and "plain" nuts taste pretty good. Chocolate should be enjoyed, like everything else, moderation is key. You don't want to feel deprived,do you?

Exactly what I would have said. I'd just add that I recommend you plan your meals in advance and only buy what you need - shop from a list. I spend much less when I do that, versus going and just buying what looks/sounds like it will work.
This discussion has been closed.