Low calorie Thai food night.

Options
Hi everyone!

I would like some food choice advice. Tonight I'm going out for Thai food and drinks. I'm not super familiar with Thai food, what would you recommend that I order to keep my daily calorie intake under control? The restaurant I'm going to doesn't have a web page to post their menu, but I assume they have traditional Thai food items.

Also, I've decided that tonight I'll be drinking vodka and diet pop, so I have that covered. :)

Thanks for your input!
Ashbramwell

Replies

• tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I would like some food choice advice. Tonight I'm going out for Thai food and drinks. I'm not super familiar with Thai food, what would you recommend that I order to keep my daily calorie intake under control? The restaurant I'm going to doesn't have a web page to post their menu, but I assume they have traditional Thai food items.

Also, I've decided that tonight I'll be drinking vodka and diet pop, so I have that covered. :)

Thanks for your input!
    Ashbramwell
    I would recommend any of the salads with sliced beef. Also, a green papaya salad would be very low calories, new and different. Tom Yum soup ( the one without coconut milk) is pretty low calorie, too, even if you eat a couple of bowls.
    Finally, chicken or pork sate are usually made with lean cuts, very thin slices of meat and a fairly small portion, since it's an appetizer.
    I find Thai a lot easier to eat healthy than Chinese,Indian or Mexican. Sushi is my favorite type of restaurant. I'm a huge fan of raw tuna and salmon. I usually get a sashimi platter and maybe oysters raw or a tuna Nigeri roll.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for your input!
    Ashbramwell
    I would recommend any of the salads with sliced beef. Also, a green papaya salad would be very low calories, new and different. Tom Yum soup ( the one without coconut milk) is pretty low calorie, too, even if you eat a couple of bowls.
    Finally, chicken or pork sate are usually made with lean cuts, very thin slices of meat and a fairly small portion, since it's an appetizer.
    I find Thai a lot easier to eat healthy than Chinese,Indian or Mexican. Sushi is my favorite type of restaurant. I'm a huge fan of raw tuna and salmon. I usually get a sashimi platter and maybe oysters raw or a tuna Nigeri roll.

^ Great advice, and I totally agree.

I was going to suggest the Crying Tiger salad, made with chopped vegetables and thinly sliced beef.

Most curries are not too crazy bad, even with coconut milk. Especially if you plan ahead and take it easy on the drinks. Most Thai places I visit serve curry with a separate bowl of rice, so I usually just eat 1/3 of the rice provided and the meal is still filling & delicious.

Aside from high-ish sodium in some cases, I find most Thai foods to be pretty manageable. The only thing I'd steer clear of is tamarind chicken which is battered & fried. But even that isn't the world's worst meal if you love it (just my opinion)!

Just watch portion sizes and you should be good! I hope you enjoy.