30 Day Squat Challenge Results - Pics

Options
SkinnyRuthy
SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
A friend of mine invited me to try a squat challenge for 30 days and boy has it been hard!!! I've only lost 5lbs during this time period as I sort of fell off the band wagon. The important thing is I'm back on! :) Anyways, I figured I'd post my "results" and see if you can see a difference.
c8cb1d25-058a-44a7-9575-63757a9ee652.jpg

Here is a link to the challenge that I did: http://creatingbettertomorrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/squat-challenge.jpg

Have any of you tried this challenge?

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the challenge, but didn't keep up with it. However, I have been doing squats with dumbbells a few times a week, and I noticed a difference quickly. I already have to up the weight after less than a month.

You look great. I can definitely see a change in your pictures.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You've done great, Ruthy, fair play to you, bet you'll not want to do a single one tomorrow!! I can see a difference, and may I also compliment you on your skin tone, you don't have the faintest whiff of cellulite! #jealousmuch
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    Thank you, Pixie! Once I hit day 20, I really wanted to quit because that is when it got really really hard to do. My legs would knot up on me and I would have to take breaks. Glad I continued.
    Shazzy, you're right, I may not do a single one tomorrow! LOL But, I do plan to do at least 50-100 3 days on 1 day off from here on out. I think it has really helped. If not so much a physical change I can see, but how I feel about myself. Stronger. More confident. Proud I did it!!!! And that good ol' cellulite is there some. Must be lighting? Shows up more when I sit!!! :)
  • missemmapeel
    missemmapeel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great work Ruthy, and glad to hear you'll keep it up. I can see a difference, and love that you found the exercise rewarding.

:)
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    look great..but lift weight will be great <3
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    definitely can see a difference. good for you for keeping up the good work and making it the full 30 days. please share ... what is your lack of cellulite secret? you really cannot see any. lighting or not, you sure can't have much if any. you must tell us.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the challenge, but didn't keep up with it. However, I have been doing squats with dumbbells a few times a week, and I noticed a difference quickly. I already have to up the weight after less than a month.

You look great. I can definitely see a change in your pictures.

If you're adding weight then you're actually doing it better than the way the original plan describes. Good on you. Increasing load rather than reps is the way to go.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Did you do the challenge with weights or just body weight?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Did you do the challenge with weights or just body weight?

If you have access to weight then the entire challenge becomes sub-optimal. it's more or less a beginner-friendly band-aid for people who want to follow some semblance of a progression based program but do not have access to weights.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    I did not do the challenge with weights as I felt my own body weight was enough of a challenge to move up and down! LOL :)

Also, since this was my first time doing squats I felt it was extremely important to do them correctly. I focused every day on having proper form (getting parallel to the floor, keeping my chest up, etc). Sometimes I would have to slow down to make sure I got back into correct form. Believe me, this was no easy task to do this challenge. I was sweating quite profusely and shouting out "One Hundred and *gasp* Seventy Nine!!!!!" etc for each one I did.

I do understand that adding weights will only help and that the number of squats I do will be quite a bit lower, like 10-30 squats x 3-5 reps or something like that. I have spent time on Instagram following fitness accounts to watch how other women did squats with a barbell and such. I'm looking forward to improving every day that I work towards my weight loss goals.

For now, I am just happy I got through the challenge and can see a bit of a difference!!!
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    To reply to the cellulite question, I have no secret. :embarassed:
    The only thing I can think of is that my legs have always been quite muscular/strong, and I do spend a lot of time walking.
    I seem to hold weight more in my stomach and breasts, and a bit in my arms and face.
    I guess we are all made differently! I wish I actually had a secret I could share, but thank you for commenting on it because I swear the other day I thought my legs looked like cottage cheese. I honestly think the squat challenge changed the composition of my legs because I just examined them and I no longer see cottage cheese thighs. :bigsmile:
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great job! There was a definite change. :-) Keep finding challenges that help motivate you, and posting in order to inspire others!
  • kdcj17
    kdcj17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I started tonight. 50 with a 15 pound dumbell held straight out while squatting. Tomorrow I think I am going to try it with the weight raised above my shoulders. I'm not usually too into the 'challenges', however, looking up results of this particular one it seemed worth a try. I can use all the help I can get back there. lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Since it's only 30 days, don't expect much of a change, with the exception in your confidence and execution. If you're ready now, then start doing to weighted squats to get much better results.
    Body weight squats don't improve the legs if body weight is going down. Resistance has to be more challenge to see improvement.
    Good job and don't be afraid to take the next step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    Once I got to a certain number, the muscle right above my knees would ache even with proper form. I was actually encouraged by this, that maybe I was strengthening this muscle which will in turn strengthen my poor knees. My bum still aches from this challenge (especially the band of muscle right underneath the bum) and I do feel that my legs are tighter and my bum is a bit more rounded. I'm pleased with all of that.

I'm planning on really working on my eating habits, arms and abs this month in addition to squats, so I'm really looking forward to what results I have in the next 30 days! Look for my post at the end of June! :)
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great progress, but I have a question: are you suppose to do the squats in reps or all of it strait through? Once you have to do 100+ reps, do you do it in one time! or split it up?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Since it's only 30 days, don't expect much of a change, with the exception in your confidence and execution. If you're ready now, then start doing to weighted squats to get much better results.
    Body weight squats don't improve the legs if body weight is going down. Resistance has to be more challenge to see improvement.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sorry, but do you mean that if you're losing weight while doing squats, there will be no change? I'm wondering because I really want to get into doing something to lift my butt and make my quads look better. What do you suggest?
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    i also had done high rep body weight squats in class and i considered it more cardio than anything, never saw much diff.since ive added weight,i do goblet squats now with 35 lbs, 3×10. I also go lower and ive seen results pretty quick so im going to bb next so i can add more weight, i never thought i could get rounderbut it works.
  • kotzzz
    kotzzz Posts: 13
    Options
    heyy awesome job!! i've tried the challenge maybe twice but i always gave up . . . so it's something to really look up to!
    oh just one question, did you just do squats during this challenge? or did you also do other forms of exercise?
  • Emsie_lou
    Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have started this today with the 30 day abs challenge!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!