What is it about the first 10 pounds?

Options
FeraFilia
FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
Today I hit 10 pounds lost, and I am so completely excited and proud of myself! It's great motivation to keep going, and makes me feel like I can actually DO THIS. Which is good, because I need to do this about 15 more times (I think I can handle losing 10 pounds, 15 times... doesn't seem as scary as looking at "I need to lose 150 pounds")...

I can't be the only one that's so excited about it... Did anyone else get super excited when they hit that first 10 pounds gone?

I'm trying to think of a rewards system that hubby and I can afford for when I hit the those 10 pound marks, a little something extra to work for, a small tangible reward other than "your health" (It's a lovely reward, no doubt, but it's so abstract!)... I'm thinking maybe a new book in one of the various series I read because there are several that I need to get them current. Thoughts? or other ideas?

Did I mention I'm excited?

Replies

• alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    congratulations :)
  • pierremignon
    pierremignon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I remember my first 10 pounds. I think it was my first weigh-in after starting, and I was expecting five pounds tops. That was probably one of the happiest I've felt.
  • victoria43068
    Options
    Congratulations! That is awesome! Great inspiration to set one goal at a time! As for reward, you could pick out a small surprise gift for each other? No matter the cost, its the thought behind it and its fun choosing something just for the one you love! Good luck , and keep up the great work!
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    !0 pounds is a great start! A bit of a reward system is always a bonus too. a new book, or something small for each 10, maybe something bigger for bigger milestones too. and one big reward for reaching your goal!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is awesome but try to keep some other stuff on the list of important milestones too. The scale can be a pretty cruel master but if you keep calorie goals and fitness goals those things are just as worthy of celebration as any numbers on the scale might be.

Sometimes the scale gets stuck for a while but as long as I am getting up, eating right, exercising well, I can still feel like a winner. Ultimately, it's that feeling of success that keeps us going so make sure you look for it everywhere you can find it!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I think books are a wonderful idea! I heard that someone on this site buys audiobooks and then uses them while working out as motivation!

The first 10 are so tough. Once you see that double-digit number, you start to really see the downward trend, which makes it easier to stick to the plan!
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    Losing weight is awesome but try to keep some other stuff on the list of important milestones too. The scale can be a pretty cruel master but if you keep calorie goals and fitness goals those things are just as worthy of celebration as any numbers on the scale might be.

Sometimes the scale gets stuck for a while but as long as I am getting up, eating right, exercising well, I can still feel like a winner. Ultimately, it's that feeling of success that keeps us going so make sure you look for it everywhere you can find it!

Oh, I know not to be slave to the scale for losing weight. I splurged a little and went to a thrift store and got a few pairs of jeans and a dress in progressively smaller sizes that will be rewards in the themselves when I can fit into them. (The jeans were $3 apiece and the dress was $5, so I spent $20).

And once my fitness level is to the point that I'm comfortable with more than 30 minutes of light cardio, I'll bump up the effort and I get to buy a FitBit (I love to walk!).
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    My Fitbit encouraged me to take a walk with the remaining 15 minutes of my lunch break!
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Way to go! Keep rockin' even if things slow down KEEP PUSHING!
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    !0 pounds is a great start! A bit of a reward system is always a bonus too. a new book, or something small for each 10, maybe something bigger for bigger milestones too. and one big reward for reaching your goal!

We are trying to figure a good medium sized reward 25, and a bigger reward for 50, once I get there. :)
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    My reward for reaching my goal is a tattoo! Is that trashy?
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    My reward for reaching my goal is a tattoo! Is that trashy?

I don't think so. :) But I guess it depends on what you're getting and where you're putting it.
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Great job! Yes, I felt the same way with the first ten pounds. I find for me it is easier to break it down into ten pound increments. Not as overwhelming. So proud of you!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You're hard work is paying off. I like to reward myself with money. If I can afford it, I put a little something extra in my savings account.