rowing machines?

Options
Hi guys
I wanted to hear what your thoughts are, about rowing machines. I have an elliptical and treadmill at home and I use both routinely (alternate during the week) in addition to a kettlebell or abs workout. I have PCOS so trying to lose weight is hell but I am slowly losing 0.5- 1 pounds a week. I wanted to add in a rowing machine because I read that it burns 50% more calories which building up strength from your arms to your calf muscles.

I wanted to see if any of you have had good success with those, and if there are specific ones you recommend (on a budget, of course)?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i dont know specific models or anything, but rowing machines are a great workout, my personal favourite cardio since it works your full body, and like you said they burn an ton of calories. i imagine they are pretty pricey

but ill add, your getting good results from what you are doing now, so why change whats not broken? if you just prefer a rowing machine that s one thing but i cant imagine itll make a massive difference with weight loss compared to sticking with the elliptical and running
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When I had a gym membership with a lot of machines, I always included some rowing.

I hear that it's the new in workout, too; that Spin is over and Rowing is in.
  • archuvs
    archuvs Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks guys! I didn't know it was the new in thing.. i just get bored with my routine, then laziness creeps in.. and you know the rest. I am getting good with exercising most every day though, and need something new to try in cardio. I have been doing some of the fitness blender videos as well.

As BigT555 said, the rowers are pretty pricey but there were a couple in the 200-300 range that I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    First off, .5 to 1 pound a week is awesome for anyone. You're doing great.

If you're looking for something a little different, a rower would definitely fit the bill. I also do treadmill/elliptical/rower and like to change machines to keep from getting bored. One thing I really notice on the rower is the "mid-section" workout that the other two don't provide. After 1/2 hour on the rower, my abs and back are really feeling it - you don't really get that with the standing machines.

The one I have is the Stamina Air Rower. I'm completely happy with it.
    Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YPZWT2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1