Late night eating

Options
So I understand that eating late isn't good, since your metabolism has slowed down and what not. However, I typically go to the gym from 7 - 9 or 10 pm and by the time I get home I feel like I need to eat something. I don't over-indulge. I eat a typical small 300-400 calorie meal. I stay below my calorie limit for the day as well. Will eating at night somehow cause me to gain weight despite the fact that I am working out and eating under my calorie limit?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The time of day you eat is another weight loss myth that is pure nonsense. As long as you stay within a calorie deficit, you'll be fine.
  • amraymond18
    amraymond18 Posts: 28
    Options
    The time of day you eat is another weight loss myth that is pure nonsense. As long as you stay within a calorie deficit, you'll be fine.

Perfect! Thank you :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No problem eating late at night unless it gives you indigestion or disrupts your sleep or something. I eat the majority of my calories after 7pm, and often right up until I go to bed. I haven't had any problems losing/maintaining weight.

(also remember your calorie goal is just that - a goal to hit, not something to strive to be under all the time. :smile: )
  • amraymond18
    Options
    No problem eating late at night unless it gives you indigestion or disrupts your sleep or something. I eat the majority of my calories after 7pm, and often right up until I go to bed. I haven't had any problems losing/maintaining weight.

(also remember your calorie goal is just that - a goal to hit, not something to strive to be under all the time. :smile: )

Awesome! Thank you so much :)
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference
    https://www.uamshealth.com/?id=10937&sid=1

And you didn't say what you're doing at the gym, cardio or weights, but if you're lifting weights, getting post-workout nutrition is definitely good -- no effect on weight loss per se, but for replenishment of nutrients that help with muscle repair and growth.
  • amraymond18
    Options
    Makes no difference
    https://www.uamshealth.com/?id=10937&sid=1

And you didn't say what you're doing at the gym, cardio or weights, but if you're lifting weights, getting post-workout nutrition is definitely good -- no effect on weight loss per se, but for replenishment of nutrients that help with muscle repair and growth.

Thanks for the article, definitely helpful! I do at least 120 minutes of cardio everyday, and every other day do 20-30 minutes of weights :)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal?

Also, don't worry about your metabolism slowing down, as others said, that's a myth. Eat when you are hungry and get as close as possible to your calorie goal.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above posters ;) I typically have my second dinner/snack just before bed, always have. As long as you are with your calories for the day the timing doesn't really matter for most people.
  • amraymond18
    Options

Also, don't worry about your metabolism slowing down, as others said, that's a myth. Eat when you are hungry and get as close as possible to your calorie goal.

My calorie goal is on the low side, 1200. But I'm typically full with a day of eating 1000-1100. In the summer I stay active and eat foods that fill me up, such as oatmeal.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    120 minutes of cardio???

That's probably 800-1000 calories right there. I'd cut back the cardio so you don't burn out.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    120 minutes of cardio???

That's probably 800-1000 calories right there. I'd cut back the cardio so you don't burn out.

Yeah, that's a lot of cardio, unless you're training for a triathlon or in Navy Seal boot camp. Why so much?
  • rose313
    Options

My calorie goal is on the low side, 1200. But I'm typically full with a day of eating 1000-1100. In the summer I stay active and eat foods that fill me up, such as oatmeal.

It's okay to stop eating when you're not hungry anymore. It's also okay for many people to net only 1200 if they are little, not very active, and don't have a lot to lose. However, with your two hours of cardio every day, I'd try and calculate your TDEE (the total amount of calories you are burning in a day including exercise) and eat about 85% of that. I see you are looking to lose 28 lbs. You will definitely lose weight eating 1200 and exercising, but I don't want you to eat TOO little, if you start feeling fatigued and grumpy you probably need more food to fuel your workouts. Also, if your weight loss starts to stall, you may find that eating a little more will start it back up again. Scientifically I'm not sure why.
  • rose313
    Options
    double post
  • amraymond18
    Options
    120 minutes of cardio???

Yeah I typically burn 700-900. I'm really just trying to tone up. I also really enjoy the gym. I do 1 hour of bike, 30 minutes of elliptical, 20 minutes of stair stepper, and 10 minutes of cool down on the tredmill.
  • amraymond18
    Options

It's okay to stop eating when you're not hungry anymore. It's also okay for many people to net only 1200 if they are little, not very active, and don't have a lot to lose. However, with your two hours of cardio every day, I'd try and calculate your TDEE (the total amount of calories you are burning in a day including exercise) and eat about 85% of that. I see you are looking to lose 28 lbs. You will definitely lose weight eating 1200 and exercising, but I don't want you to eat TOO little, if you start feeling fatigued and grumpy you probably need more food to fuel your workouts. Also, if your weight loss starts to stall, you may find that eating a little more will start it back up again. Scientifically I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the advice. I'm honestly not starving myself or anything. I am not at all for losing weight in unhealthy ways. I just stay very busy throughout the day and only eat when I am hungry. With that being said, I do eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as one or two snacks. If I were to feel hungry then I wouldn't deprive myself of food, even if it did mean going over my calorie limit. I will take precautions when going to the gym for long periods of time. So far I do not feel fatigued or grumpy haha :)
  • srv524
    Options
    Since you burn over 1K with exercise, I suggest consuming more calories. This is purely from a nutritional standpoint.
  • amraymond18
    Options
    Since you burn over 1K with exercise, I suggest consuming more calories. This is purely from a nutritional standpoint.

Should I aim for around 1600? The main reason my goal is to lose weight relatively quickly is because I put it on so quickly. Not to make excuses but this winter was brutal, and after a long winter of not checking in on my weigh, I realized that I gained a womping 25 pounds! I'd say that I put this on in 4-5 months..
  • srv524
    Options
    How much weight are you looking to lose and what are your overall fitness goals? Running, toning up, sports competition, etc.
  • rose313
    Options
    Ooh I know how you feel! I gained 25 pounds too! I'm 6 pounds down in 6 weeks, so it's okay if it comes off slow. I consider myself very lucky to even be able to lose one pound a week because I have hardly ever been able to lose weight in the past successfully. For the amount you want to lose half a pound a week is normal.

I've been eating like 1550 calories a day on average and I really do not exercise often enough so if I can do it you can too. Just do it safely!
  • srv524
    Options
    Rose looks great so why not give it a try? Or maybe it's the steroids...