classes vs. weights....?

chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
let me begin by clarifying that the majority of my classes (5 out of 8) are circuit based, and include a good amount of upper body strength training including weights, pushups, plank holds, etc. we also do a ton of leg conditioning with squats and lunges. however, i am wondering if the leg work is enough. i love my classes and i burn a tremendous amount of calories, but i'm so whipped by them, that i have begun to neglect my leg weights on the machines (leg curl, hip abduction, leg press, etc.).

i feel pretty confident that my upper body is getting enough, but i don't know if squats and lunges are enough for my lower. i'm trying to decide if i should let go of a class and focus on the weights, or keep all of my classes for the calorie burn. advise please!

Replies

• I would say take fifteen minutes after class, do some leg extensions, leg curls, and so on, but squats and lunges are perfect for your legs. As you continue to lose weight using MFP, you'll truly start to notice your toned legs.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Don't cut them out completely! Mix it up with classes and weights. Sometimes just one or the other on its own can get really boring and that increases the chances of not following through. Give yourself some variety! Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Moar chest exercises. :wink:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It depends on your goals. Circuit-type classes and exercises that you describe will contribute to your overall calorie burn and have some specific muscle-conditioning effects (specific to the types of activity being performed).

Combined with a calorie deficit, they are not that good at increasing or maintaining muscle mass.

It is a good idea to include more "traditional" lifting exercises at heavier weights in your routine and not depend solely on "metabolic" type workouts.

I would also recommend that you do the heavier lifts before the circuit classes.

I understand that circuit type classes and higher intensity training are the current fad, but, like anything else, more is not always better. If you are doing quality, true high-intensity workouts, you probably don't need more than 2 per week, 3 at the most.. I would recommend spending the other time on more balanced activities, including endurance cardio, tempo cardio and traditional strength training.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    i would take one day and lift legs heavy. do not do any cardio after, just make sure you stretch well after. do not hit legs hard on day 1 or 2 after lifting heavy. you may do cardio but limit leg exercises. if you are going to do any type of lifting and cardio on the same day, lift before. you need to focus most of your energy on lifting then cardio. try that for 4-5 weeks and see how you feel.
This discussion has been closed.