Eating Enough

Options
pythonsweb
pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
Anyone have a problem with NOT eating enough? I didnt think it was a problem but since ive been logging in MFP almost daily it come up with "I am in starvation mode", I feel like ive been eating all day constantly, I did change my normal foods to all healthy foods and my food plan looks pretty good low calories low fat ect.. and im eating alot more than before but still cant get to the 1200 minimum. I am trying to lose weight but dont want to get into the starvation mode where it dont come off, I am 188 now and looking for the 145 range what my BMI said was healthy. I have been doing the elliptical and the program im doing burns 700clas for a 45 minute session which puts me as having to eat even more :(

Replies

• amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, this is not a problem for me. My lunch yesterday was over 1200 calories. Try eating more calorie dense foods. Ditch the low-fat, fat-free and "diet" foods. Get whole milk cheeses, milk, nuts, avocado. Check out my diary for more ideas. I eat around 1900/ day.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a problem with NOT eating enough? I didnt think it was a problem but since ive been logging in MFP almost daily it come up with "I am in starvation mode", I feel like ive been eating all day constantly, I did change my normal foods to all healthy foods and my food plan looks pretty good low calories low fat ect.. and im eating alot more than before but still cant get to the 1200 minimum. I am trying to lose weight but dont want to get into the starvation mode where it dont come off, I am 188 now and looking for the 145 range what my BMI said was healthy. I have been doing the elliptical and the program im doing burns 700clas for a 45 minute session which puts me as having to eat even more :(

There's so much wrong with this post I almost don't know where to begin. Low fat is not healthy, contrary to what I'm sure you've been told your whole life. Dietary fat is very good for you and it's very important to make sure you get enough.

Individual foods are neither healthy nor unhealthy. You have to view a food in the context of your entire day's intake. If a food helps you hit your macros, micros, fiber, etc, then it is a healthy choice in that situation. On the other side of it, supposed "healthy foods" are not always healthy in every situation, particularly when eating them causes you to exceed your calorie goal, or in your case, when eating "healthy foods" is low calorie and fills you up without allowing you to get enough calories in for the day.

If you're not eating enough the solution is very simple: eat calorie dense foods like peanut butter, cheese, etc. Also it helps to get calories in liquid form if you're having trouble getting enough. Milk, juice, soda, etc can all help you reach your goal and get your calories in.

As far as "starvation mode" goes, not getting enough calories for a single day or for a single week will not incur any sort of starvation response from your body. Your metabolism only begins to slow when you have a large calorie deficit consistently for an extended period of time, and I'm talking weeks and weeks into months.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Fat food is good for you! I've lost weight in the past very easily on South Beach and they don't limit healthy fats. Believe me, I loaded up on olive oil and avocados. I still lost.
    In fact, if I don't start losing a little faster I'm going back to South Beach. Their first and second stages are so healthy and I always lose weight eating that way.
    Low fat is no bueno. Haven't you heard? Our nation has gotten obese since the low fat and fat free craze!
  • eathealthy88
    Options
    I wish... I have to try REALLY hard to meet the calorie goal and it's 1,300 (something).

Just include more bread, cheese, peanut butter, and protein (meat) in your diet. That stuff is so high in calories that it should not be hard. Are you vegan? Because they usually find it hard to meet the calorie goal.

Either way, I think you are in some kind of starvation mode and upping your calories will probably help.
  • pythonsweb
    pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice im getting, I am really new to this and trying to learn what I can about proper nutrition, it seems one site say eat this and I find another that says avoid it, Im having a heck of a time finding what I should be using for my plan. Im going to keep researching and reading of course, I thought "healthy" foods were what I was supposed to only eat but im hearing that you can mix it and still lose, trying to figure all this out is like filing taxes lol :D
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice im getting, I am really new to this and trying to learn what I can about proper nutrition, it seems one site say eat this and I find another that says avoid it, Im having a heck of a time finding what I should be using for my plan. Im going to keep researching and reading of course, I thought "healthy" foods were what I was supposed to only eat but im hearing that you can mix it and still lose, trying to figure all this out is like filing taxes lol :D

It is/can be confusing, right? I'm in a similar situation; I've found myself stuffing myself to get close to my cals (b4 any exercise cals, too). Um, yeah, "fat free" everything is not always necessary. If you like what you're eating (in general), add in a little fat (olive oil, pat of butter, mayo, etc.) to your meals. That's my plan for next week (shopping list revision--2% or whole milk and yogurt, more butter, a few meals of fattier meats, etc. plus a few potatoes and bread for carby yum yums). Just a few little changes like that should do the trick.

ETA: Just a little levity: I peeked at your diary. Goodness, PLEASE don't eat low fat hot dogs! That's an abomination (unless you like them, lol!).
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason not to eat food then eat all of the foods you enjoy within your calories limit for the day or week. Research and chose calorie dense foods. Plan ahead for a few days and play around with your food diary by entering different foods back and forth until you hit your macros (Carbs, Fat and Protein). Are you exercising because my appetite increases after a good workout. The main thing to remember is that this is a journey that takes several tries before getting it right.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You don't have to avoid any certain food to be healthier as long as you're not going over your calories. When you go over is when you start to gain. Obviously you shouldn't just eat bagels and donuts and drink Pepsi but you can eat them and still maintain or loose weight.
    I don't eat the healthiest of foods (I'm trying to work on that) but watching how many calories I do eat I've managed to drop 2lbs already.... And I've had pizza and mcdonalds this week. Just try to make sure you eat some fruits, veggies and proteins during the day. Sorry if this is really bad advice, I'm also new to all of this.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If you suddenly switch to eating high-fiber low-calorie foods, like lots of vegetables, it may take your body a little time to adjust to the increase in fiber. I used to eat little soup cup portions of salads, but now I need a big restaurant sized bowl. I had the same issue with calories when I started, but now I'm able to eat a lot more. If you are worried about it, keep some dates (70 cal each) and nuts (160 cal per 1/4 cup) around to snack on, or whole grain bread with peanut butter. Also, add sunflower seeds/raisins/and avocado to salads. Other good options are guacamole, hummus, shelled edamame, or any beans.