Weak and slow

Options
If started doing two a days to speed up my weight loss goals. Crossfit in the morning and Jiu jitsu at night. The other day at Jiu jitsu I felt super slow and weak oppose to Tuesday I felt really good and that's because I rode my bike to work and after that rode my bike to Jiu jitsu. Most of the weak I stayed under on my calories expect for one day I went over. So my question is why did I feel like it cr*p. am I pushing my body to hard? Is it my age (32). Should I eat more? This has happened to me in the past and kinda discourages me :/ any advice would be cool

Replies

• Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Totally understand how you feel! Did you JUST start doing two things a day? Your body might not be used to it.
    If overeating is the thing you're worried about, don't. It will be just fine!

I recommend using the Fitness Triangle to keep yourself from getting slow and strung out.

1. Cardio
    2. Strength Training
    and this one is VERY underrated:
    3. FLEXIBILITY!

Stretch before and after. It helps me feel better and less sluggish!

Good luck and stay motivated!
  • joecantu1134
    Options
    Yes and no...I've tried to in the past but it never worked out for one reason or another..but this time I'm really gonna stick with it..I hope lol
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...I've tried to in the past but it never worked out for one reason or another..but this time I'm really gonna stick with it..I hope lol

I have no doubt you can do it :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that most issues of feeling like how you describe, stem from nutrition.

how much are you eating? are you eating at too big of a deficit for your activity level? do you rest enough?

two-a-days can be taxing. even pro athletes don't do two a days for prolong periods of times... in fact, a quick google search says that they were eliminated from the NFL all-together, citing risk of injury.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating at a deficit (1750 cals a day) I can't exercise for more than ~60 minutes every other day. I get really weak and forgetful. It's bad. I won't be doing workouts like you're describing until I'm at or very close to maintenance, most likely.
  • 6yuu
    6yuu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate this feeling. On days where I eat less I only do light workouts, I fell somewhat accomplished instead of exhausted, I also fell like workouts are way less successful at burning calories when you haven't eaten enough and you're tired. I know someone already said this, but FLEXIBILITY is sooo important. Good luck!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hang on there, mate.

Nutrition is only part of this. Sure, eat more and see if you can keep up the work. But there's a couple of considerations here:

1. Goals: if it is weight management, then doing two-a-days and eating more which erases one session is inefficient. In other words if you need to eat 700 calories to support two sessions of 700 calorie burn each, you might as well do one.

2. Fitness gains: Even if you ate the whole box of supplements, you're not going to become an ironman athlete overnight. It takes time. If you get injured, exhausted or otherwise unable to train properly this is a waste, too.

I have been in this boat on the opposite end: I have a modicum of weight to lose (6 or so more pounds after 10 lost since X-mas), but it's all for competing better on the bike. And on days I've binged mindlessly I've had to train a couple of extra hours. Doable, but digs a whole that needs to be filled with more recovery and less intense training. For sure, I can't do a quality, high-intensity training session on a large caloric deficit (Esp. carb deficit).

So do the math and do some experimentation. As you get fitter, your cardio sessions will be able to use more fat and less carbs as fuel at a given intensity - which means you're getting fitter and probably can undergo a larger caloric deficit without impairing your training.
  • joecantu1134
    Options
    I'm doing the crossfit to help my Jiu jitsu game as we'll . Should I just alternate. One day crossfit one day Jiu jitsu?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the crossfit to help my Jiu jitsu game as we'll . Should I just alternate. One day crossfit one day Jiu jitsu?

is getting better at jiu jitsu your goal? then make the most of your training, and go for as many session as often as you can.

crossfit is great, but unnecessary every day. 2-3 times a week is great. and you want so have the endurance so that when you're rolling, you're not running out of gas before your opponent, so you might want to take up running as well.

this all requires balance man. my best friend is really into jiu jitsu and mixed martial arts, and his performance really started to improve when he started more weight training and running, but also cut back a bit on all the classes he had been taking.