"All in moderation."

Options
I know it works for a lot of people. Some may have more self control than others though, I don't.

How the f do you train yourself to have everything in moderation?

I tried this, I bought a loaf of bread which is my ultimate weakness. I told myself I could have some tomorrow or one slice a day. That didn't work. As soon as I got a whiff of that amazing dates and walnut bread, I just had to have it. I had one slice which turned into 2 then it became 5. I could've eaten the whole loaf if I didn't stop myself.

How did you go about having your favorite things "in moderation"?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I know it works for a lot of people. Some may have more self control than others though, I don't.

I tried this, I bought a loaf of bread which is my ultimate weakness. I told myself I could have some tomorrow or one slice a day. That didn't work. As soon as I got a whiff of that amazing dates and walnut bread, I just had to have it. I had one slice which turned into 2 then it became 5. I could've eaten the whole loaf if I didn't stop myself.

It's truly a mental thing. For instance if you ABSOLUTELY knew that eating a second slice would leave you sitting on the john for 2 days straight, would you be really willing to risk eating that 2nd slice? Probably not. So why is it so hard right now? Because the consequence of you eating those extra slices aren't "threatening" enough to you to stop. In other words, you're not truly convinced enough that weight loss is that important to you if you're eating that 2nd, 3rd, and 5th slice. Change your mindset, and the rest gets easier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I couldn't do "moderation" at first.

I would eat at a deficit M-F and then eat at a surplus on Saturday while still on a weekly deficit/maintenence so that I COULD have two donuts, or 5 slices of bread...or whatever.

The only reason I can do moderation now is because I work out more and eat at TDEE-10%. Don't ask about today though.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I feel it. I used to be the same way - it was easier for me to just down a bag of chips or something and call it day rather than plan a balanced diet. I was only tracking calories until recently so I'd look at that number at the end of the day and see I hadn't gone over and tell myself it was an alright day. I still have a bit of that behavior left, sometimes I'll just eat half a loaf of bread or some other ridiculous thing since I sometimes only think of the calories. Since I started tracking macros, though, I'll eat a bit of whatever junk food (maybe two slices of bread in a sandwich) and see it totally sabotage my ratios! Completely ruins the fun of junk food when you see what it's doing to your body! So if you're not counting macros, I'd give that a try and see how it works.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If it is a trigger food I simply don't keep it in the house. When I am obsessed with a trigger food I try to stay busy or ride my bike to the store and get a small portion. At least that way it is offset some...
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It's truly a mental thing. For instance if you ABSOLUTELY knew that eating a second slice would leave you sitting on the john for 2 days straight, would you be really willing to risk eating that 2nd slice? Probably not. So why is it so hard right now? Because the consequence of you eating those extra slices aren't "threatening" enough to you to stop. In other words, you're not truly convinced enough that weight loss is that important to you if you're eating that 2nd, 3rd, and 5th slice. Change your mindset, and the rest gets easier.

I think you're right.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy things in single serve.

When I get larger things (like, ****, I have pumpkin pie in my fridge), I log the portion and put the rest away before eating.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    You have to want to lose weight bad enough that you are willing to kick the binging habit.

It takes a lot of willpower to be successful with this and that's why many fail. I have failed, twice, but I haven't given up.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, and I fixed it the way you described........ BUT it doesn't happen overnight. Sometimes you have to let yourself binge on the food a few times until it no longer has any power over you. You're not giving yourself enough time.

my cinema popcorn story: (not the only food I had this problem with, but this is the most recent one)

I couldn't put the stuff down... I kept stealing it from my poor kids... one trip I'd eat a crap ton of popcorn, limited only by the fact that as a mother I can't steal *ALL* my kids' popcorn. Anyway, I gave myself permission to eat as much as I liked. I ate a crap ton of popcorn on the next few cinema visits, and adjusted my food intake for the rest of the day to compensate. Then, one trip my daughter handed me some of her popcorn (little sweetheart that she is!) I ate a handful and *didn't want any more*... the whole popcorn eating thing had worked its way out of my system. Since then, I've eaten only small amounts of my kids' popcorn at the cinema, and not wanted to eat more than that.

that's how it works. Giving yourself permission to eat the food means that if you eat more than you planned you *don't* beat yourself up, you just adjust your calories for the rest of the day and carry on as normal. After a while the food loses its novelty value and you don't want to binge on it.

Note: nutritional deficiencies can cause binge eating... if you're not getting enough of something that's in this bread (e.g. if you're eating low carb or something) then binge eating is a survival response and ensuring your body's getting all the nutrients it needs is important to prevent this kind of binge eating....
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I followed Breaking Free from Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth. I am now able to have "trigger" foods around the house and not binge on them. Right now in my kitchen I have 4 bags of choc chips, 2 large bags of MnMs, 1 carton of icecream, 2 bags of chips, 5 dozen cookies, a large bag of trail mix and part of a chocolate bar. I haven't binged on any of them. When I do choose to have something, it is in a small amount, such as 1/2 cookie or 5 MnMs, and that small amount satisfies me. I read the book because I was binge eating a lot (for decades) and have emotional eating issues.
  • FeedTheWolf
    FeedTheWolf Posts: 32
    Options

I couldn't agree more.

The other day I held a package of Oreo cookies in my hands for what seemed like hours. I stared with ravenous eyes at the package. All I could think about was how amazing it'd be to double-stuff my face. But I eventually put the package down and walked away. Why? Because the idea of being fat for a single day longer than I absolutely have to brings me infinitely more displeasure than the pleasure those cookies would provide. To use Niner's term, if the "threat" wasn't so real for me I'd probably be laying on my kitchen floor covered in chocolate dust and bits of cream, deliriously whispering sweet nothings into an empty cookie sleeve in a sugar-induced stupor.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I love love love chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. Ice cream i can do in moderation (most of the time) because i eat it in the evening and i have to get it out of the pint.

cookies are my worst nightmare. Mostly i buy them to just eat the whole sleeve. But what works best for me is when i pack my lunches, i throw in my sandwiches and a cookie last minute and then leave the house. I eat the cookie at 10 am and when i'm home i've forgotten about it.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Perfect response
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    A Clockwork Orange yourself into feeling ill if you have more than one slice, or piece, etc. ;)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, and I fixed it the way you described........ BUT it doesn't happen overnight. Sometimes you have to let yourself binge on the food a few times until it no longer has any power over you. You're not giving yourself enough time.

my cinema popcorn story: (not the only food I had this problem with, but this is the most recent one)

I couldn't put the stuff down... I kept stealing it from my poor kids... one trip I'd eat a crap ton of popcorn, limited only by the fact that as a mother I can't steal *ALL* my kids' popcorn. Anyway, I gave myself permission to eat as much as I liked. I ate a crap ton of popcorn on the next few cinema visits, and adjusted my food intake for the rest of the day to compensate. Then, one trip my daughter handed me some of her popcorn (little sweetheart that she is!) I ate a handful and *didn't want any more*... the whole popcorn eating thing had worked its way out of my system. Since then, I've eaten only small amounts of my kids' popcorn at the cinema, and not wanted to eat more than that.

that's how it works. Giving yourself permission to eat the food means that if you eat more than you planned you *don't* beat yourself up, you just adjust your calories for the rest of the day and carry on as normal. After a while the food loses its novelty value and you don't want to binge on it.

Note: nutritional deficiencies can cause binge eating... if you're not getting enough of something that's in this bread (e.g. if you're eating low carb or something) then binge eating is a survival response and ensuring your body's getting all the nutrients it needs is important to prevent this kind of binge eating....

I never realized it, but this is exactly what has happened with me and my trigger foods. Perfectly explained!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    With areas that are non-essentials that you have strong cravings for, often it is wise to go "cold turkey" on it for maybe a month or two... Just don't let it in the house... Once you have gone 1-3 months without it, then slowly re-introduce it in moderation... Perhaps it is not as much an issue, it is a lot like alcoholism... An alcoholic cannot drink in moderation... they have to totally eliminate it. Since bread is certainly not in the same class of addiction, you may have to treat it the same way as an alcoholic... However because it is not really an addictive substance, it is likely that you can reintroduce it after a while.

I used to be pretty addicted to chocolate candy but during the first 2-3 months of my journey, I simply did not eat any... now, I can take it or leave it... It does not have the same effect that it once did...

The over-satiation method described above sometimes works as well. If one method does not work for you, then try the other.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Easy to moderate bread, it was my downfall too. Put the loaf in the freezer and in the evenings just take out so many slices you will need for the next day. We do this, just take out enough slices for breakfast and pack-ups. Works perfectly and no more stale bread that gets left forgotten.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. It's hard. Logging has helped me, because I just don't want to get those numbers wrong. But once in a while I do slip up. If I've had something stressful (and I mean like having my cat put to sleep, not just an annoying commute) it may happen. Sometimes it just feels good to sit there and eat something mindlessly. I find logging very helpful to get me back on track afterwards. (Also, I log the "binge", however embarrassing it might be.)
    Good luck!
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    [/quote] It's truly a mental thing. For instance if you ABSOLUTELY knew that eating a second slice would leave you sitting on the john for 2 days straight, would you be really willing to risk eating that 2nd slice? Probably not. So why is it so hard right now? Because the consequence of you eating those extra slices aren't "threatening" enough to you to stop. In other words, you're not truly convinced enough that weight loss is that important to you if you're eating that 2nd, 3rd, and 5th slice. Change your mindset, and the rest gets easier.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
    ^This, this, this, this. you will have days where you **** up. It happens. Just remember what you're doing it for.
    When I have a trigger food like that I'll throw it in the freezer in single servings. The thawing time makes me really think if I want food because or if I'm hungry. I read a little rule in some old lady magazine or something where one taste is great, two is good, but three is when the food starts to get boring. Kind of thinking like that where it's not a treat after so much will help you. Because after a bit it doesn't taste the same as the first bite. Your brain is bored so you eat just to eat.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I could've eaten the whole loaf if I didn't stop myself.
    You stopped yourself after 5, which means you already have the capability to stop. It's very easy to go through a whole loaf, trust me. :tongue:
    And I agree with the first poster, it's a mental thing. Once you get past whatever is making you eat like this, you won't need to.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    You might also want to look up "abstainers and moderators" on Google, and see which type you are. What works for the one won't necessarily work for the other.