a debate...

Options
I have just responded to another thread that got me thinking....

It was about having fat days and I said thatthe one thing guranteed to make me feel fat was varying sizes in clothes shops!
How can I be two sizes bigger 100 paces down the high street?

So, here's the question....would you rather clothes shops were 'generous' with their sizes to boost you confidence and do you tend to shop in these places more often?

Or do you think there should be an industry 'guideline' that makes sure all shops size clothes the same>
Think how much easier it would be to buy presents and how much better you'd feel KNOWING you'd dropped a size!

Just a thought and looking forward to hearing yours!

xx
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of standardizing sizes... I remember when I was buying my back-to-school outfit for my first day of high school I tried on a pair of (popular brand-name) jeans in the same size as the store's brand, and I couldn't get them past my thighs. Not a good experience to prepare you for high school. On the other hand, I hate the idea of being "generous"... I've never appreciated people sugarcoating the truth, whether it's vanity sizing or those fake compliments you get when you make something that tastes really bad for supper... so I'm totally against "generous" retailers. That being said, I find cut is more important than size... the stuff my sister wears wouldn't really look good on me even in the proper size, and (I'd like to think) I can pull off some outfits that she couldn't.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I vote STANDARDIZE!!!
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Standarize would be nice, however we all have different shapes and some brands just don't 'fit' no matter what size they are. If you look at clothes over the years the sizes have been getting more and more 'generous'. In todays world Marilyn Monroe would be considered a plus size model... I know this because I wanted to model and am the same size she was.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    STANDARDIZED! Then I could safely order online.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I vote standardise too. Although I will admit that I got a huge buzz when I bought a top this afternoon in a UK 12, even though I know that a 12 in Bon Marche equates to about a 14 in M&S!