not losing as much as I should be?

Options
Maqneta
Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
hello!
I have my goal set to lose 2 pounds a week but I'm barely losing a single pound? I'm normally pretty healthy with my diet I sometimes go over or under but rarely over.

I walk every day of the week for 30-40 minutes and weigh myself after I use the bathroom in the morning to make sure I get the most accurate results (so I have heard)
am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are over estimating you caloric burn while also under estimating your caloric intake.

With only 43 pounds left to lose, 2 pounds a week loss may be overly ambitious.

So, in your case, you're doing just fine.

Remember, if you lose weight too fast, you'll get loose skin, and well, that is a problem in itself.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you last lost weight?
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing something each week then you're fine. If you're stalling, see what happens if you change something.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Remember, if you lose weight too fast, you'll get loose skin, and well, that is a problem in itself.

You get loose skin regardless if there's a lot to be lost.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yup, you're generally okay. If you really are freaking out then see the sexy pants thread since it has excellent advice. In the mean time, a loss is a loss. I have my calories set at 1lb but I'm also active (I track not to see the calories but the activity). I generally flux a bit above or below that. It really depends on the day/week/month. Like others will tell you, this stuff ain't linear.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options

You get loose skin regardless if there's a lot to be lost.

True but if it comes off at a slow pace, you have a better chance to tone than if you tried to lose a lot at once (so to speak).
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Others on the loose skin: No.

Loose skin is caused by a significant weight reduction in a short time period that overcomes the skin's natural elasticity.

A small person losing a slight amount of weight will not encounter loose skin.

A larger person that undergoes rapid weight loss will encounter loose skin.

A small person that engages in rapid weight loss may not encounter loose skin due to the area reduction being smaller overall and within the skin's elastic ability.

A larger person that loses weight more slowly will provide ample time for the skin's elasticity to handle the subtle change in weight.

If a large person undergoes massive weight reduction in a short time, the loose skin will never be able to recover it's elasticity and surgery will be the only option for the removal of the excess skin.
  • Maqneta
    Options
    How long has it been since you last lost weight?

my last weigh in was a few days ago, which is why I'm worried I post 0.8 pounds in a week when I should be losing at least a pound and a half D:
  • Maqneta
    Options
    Most likely you are over estimating you caloric burn while also under estimating your caloric intake.

With only 43 pounds left to lose, 2 pounds a week loss may be overly ambitious.

So, in your case, you're doing just fine.

alright thank you :D
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Loose skin is caused by a significant weight reduction in a short time period that overcomes the skin's natural elasticity.

A small person that engages in rapid weight loss may not encounter loose skin due to the area reduction being smaller overall and within the skin's elastic ability.

A larger person that loses weight more slowly will provide ample time for the skin's elasticity to handle the subtle change in weight.

If a large person undergoes massive weight reduction in a short time, the loose skin will never be able to recover it's elasticity and surgery will be the only option for the removal of the excess skin.

The skin is an organ, not an elastic band. It has to do with genetics. I've done a LOT of research on this (as I have a lot of weight to lose.) Sometimes the skin will require surgery, sometimes it will tighten on its own and that can take up to 3 years.
  • Maqneta
    Options

The skin is an organ, not an elastic band. It has to do with genetics. I've done a LOT of research on this (as I have a lot of weight to lose.) Sometimes the skin will require surgery, sometimes it will tighten on its own and that can take up to 3 years.

doesn't it depend on the weight? I'm not that far off on my weight I wouldn't think the skin would be that loose?
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

doesn't it depend on the weight? I'm not that far off on my weight I wouldn't think the skin would be that loose?

Yes, it would depend on how much you've forced it to expand :) Me, I've put that sucker to the test!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Measuring, not weighing, ignoring snacks, ignoring additions (oil for cooking, spreads, milk/ cream in drinks) are the likely causes. All 3 add up and quickly undo the good work you thought you were doing. How accurate and disciplined are you?
  • Maqneta
    Options
    I always list my butter / milk etc.
    I never drink cream in my tea, the only time I drink milk is a cup with every meal.

I very rarely snack, I have been the last few days due to people telling me they didn't think I was eating enough when I do snack it's a grapefruit, raspberries a slice of toast or even almonds.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear and it takes time.

Some weeks you may lose 1 lb. Some 2 lbs. Some none. Just keep going.

A loss is good and something to celebrate.

Patience.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

So losing 1 lb a week, or 0.8 is pretty on point with how you want to be losing.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You're measuring things in cups and spoons, which isn't a very accurate way to measure foods unfortunately, especially solid foods. A cup of something can weigh different amounts depending on how packed or full your cup is, so it follows that the calorie content can also vary a lot. Use a scale to weigh solids in grams/oz and use a measuring jug to measure liquids in ml/ fluid oz.
  • sadiebea25
    sadiebea25 Posts: 72
    Options
    I think .8 a week is a good rate, I'd be happy to at least be losing each week! You're doing something right :)
  • Samfish9
    Samfish9 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm not losing at all, I'm gaining. And I'm fed up.
  • Maqneta
    Options
    Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

So losing 1 lb a week, or 0.8 is pretty on point with how you want to be losing.

thank you!